Jul 06, 2011, 10:48 AM
hot air rises...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Seriously????

Come on Finch, quit playing around with these things and get the Wasatch Edge done!!!!!
I know. I really need to get back to that project. I've got another good month or two of focused (all free time used) building to get it done. That's more of a winter project for me as I'd rather spend my free time with the kids, wife or flying my already flying planes while it's warm.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2011, 10:55 AM
Mike M.
Thread OP
Oooooh, here's a sweet deal, if it's in decent condition... USED VANDAL.
Jul 06, 2011, 11:04 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Killer air at the farm? I will believe it when I see it!
I agree it will be good contest conditions either way.
It was soo killer that I had a hard time seeing it as well as my B3 turned into this tiny little spec in the sky. Yummy!!!!
Jul 06, 2011, 12:01 PM
Limbo with 30,000V...
Quote:
Have you heard back from him? That looks like a smokin' deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I know. I really need to get back to that project. I've got another good month or two of focused (all free time used) building to get it done. That's more of a winter project for me as I'd rather spend my free time with the kids, wife or flying my already flying planes while it's warm.
Hey speaking of flying, did you bring a plane with you today? I'm thinking of getting in a few tosses at lunch.
Jul 06, 2011, 12:34 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
Quote:
Hope you get it Mike
Jul 06, 2011, 12:36 PM
Mike M.
Thread OP
I don't want it for me. I just can't resist a good deal on a good plane. If I get it I will sell it to someone else here, first come first serve.
Jul 06, 2011, 12:36 PM
BUZZ KILL
Okay, I’m in. Mike M. is dropping off a kit on his way to Albuquerque. I don’t understand enough about how these things work to know why cheap servos can’t be used. I keep hearing they need to have precise centering. Well I got news for you, nothing I do or own is precise or anywhere near. If I can’t build the wing straight, do I still need good servos? I’m sure I’m going to have all kinds of dumb questions (what else is new).
Jul 06, 2011, 12:40 PM
Limbo with 30,000V...
Quote:
I don't want it for me. I just can't resist a good deal on a good plane. If I get it I will sell it to someone else here, first come first serve.
Requesting first rights... unless I can talk JLo out of a Stobel
Jul 06, 2011, 12:43 PM
Limbo with 30,000V...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Okay, I’m in. Mike M. is dropping off a kit on his way to Albuquerque. I don’t understand enough about how these things work to know why cheap servos can’t be used. I keep hearing they need to have precise centering. Well I got news for you, nothing I do or own is precise or anywhere near. If I can’t build the wing straight, do I still need good servos? I’m sure I’m going to have all kinds of dumb questions (what else is new).
Welcome to the addiction! Now, of course you CAN use cheap servo's but you will see or feel the sloppiness in a DLG more quickly than a combat wing.
Jul 06, 2011, 12:44 PM
hot air rises...
Jim, I'm right now on my way over to the riverside park. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier...
Jul 06, 2011, 12:48 PM
A different attitude to RC
Quote:
Ryan, perhaps this will be the beginning of precision for you?

You may also find you almost give up most other flying - it just does not feel the same after dlg'ing
Jul 06, 2011, 12:54 PM
Utah Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Requesting first rights... unless I can talk JLo out of a Stobel
Requesting second rights...
Jul 06, 2011, 01:03 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Ryan just break down and get good digital servos. No point in saving $40.00 and not enjoying every flight!

And remember, there are NO dumb questions. Just dumb people!

What plane are you getting??
Jul 06, 2011, 01:05 PM
Mike M.
Thread OP
Welcome Ryan!

My personal opinion on servos... DLGs are very high performance precision flying machines, and very sensitive to control positions. They will fly just fine with cheap servos, just not efficiently, and that's the name of the game with DLG. The most critical servo is the elevator IMHO. It has to be 'precise' and have super accurate centering every time. Must be able to dial in your desired trim speed for the given conditions, and keep it there. Otherwise you will waste much precious energy flying too fast or slow, and moving the elevator stick too much trying to compensate for the servo inaccuracy. Must be able to deliver a very small up trim launch preset for quick vertical rotation at launch release, then quickly go back to exact neutral. Once you start flying DLG this will all start to make sense. You might be able to get away with cheaper servos on ailerons/rudder, but the above factors still apply to a lesser degree. It's nice to have a 'strong' servo on rudder to keep it straight during hard launch forces that are trying to bend it. Otherwise you will loose launch height due to extra tail wag. Flaperons sometimes need 1mm of offset to maximize efficiency in certain flight modes, and a cheap servo won't be able to deliver that reliably. You can start out with cheapos if you want, then change them out later when you decide its worth it. Most guys will recommend just skipping that step. The $80 investment for 4 good servos is well worth it. But if you can't do that then just get your TS2 flying with whatever you can. That's the most important!
Jul 06, 2011, 01:24 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
Quote:
Okay, I’m in. ).
Yes! I am glad you are getting in Ryan.

I am the suck line. If I beat you, then you need better servos.

Quick Reply