HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:19 AM
go bang a plane
Utility Foam Research Kitchen, Frankfurt/Germany
Joined Nov 2007
299 Posts
Discussion
Lanyu Cessna TW 747 - anyone else got one?

A firend of mine fished this thing out of the bay for ten euros, but he didn't like it because it doesn't have ailerons as specified in the description. So he gave it to me for free...
Now I found out it flies really well, and since there is not much information around about it I decided it deserves its own thread.

There was no brand name on the box, the sign on the tx said LANYU (chinese?) Some further investigation showed it is a 745 (3ch) model with 747 (4ch) stickers, so maybe the dealer thought it _was_ the 4ch version.

At first I didn't like it, as it looks almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a Cessna. I was only after the small rx/esc unit and the micro servos, I planned to use them in a micro warbird. But of course I had to see if they worked
The build took about ten minutes, charging the batt with the supplied wallwart took two hours, then I took it out for a spin... and it turned out to be an ideal trainer for getting back into the hobby after more than ten years.

Some basic data:

Wingspan 980mm (40')
370 brushed motor with gearbox
8x6 prop
8 cell 650mAh NiMH
3ch 35MHz with rx/esc in one unit

For over a month now I have flown the hell out of this "Cessna Thing", tried to take it to its limits (and beyond). It will fly nice and slow for precise landings, loop endlessly on WOT, rudder rolls look ridiculous but can be done, and it will even fly inverted for some time - but it is wise to try that at altitude and not with the plane coming at you
Seems like the Cox P-51 will have to wait till spring

It's made of very brittle foam, but can take a lot of punishment and I was able to glue it back together after every crash.
Though it starts to look like Frankenstein's own plane it still flies well, but had to undergo some important modifications.
First was a battery switch, it had none. Another must is a steerable tail wheel, the stock one was fixed and didn't really deserve the name.
The cheap plastic main wheels broke apart after the first landings, so it got Graupner lightweight rubber wheels.
The cowling broke into 5 pieces on the first crash, luckily I found one in my LHS' scrap box that could be adapted and makes it look more like a Cessna... well, not really...
I also recommend using a folding prop, otherwise you have to get a new one after every hard landing.

The 35MHz transmitter and the rest of the electronics may look like toy grade stuff, but I never had any glitches or range issues. Only when the guy next to me turned on his TX on the neighboring channel did I notice some light servo jitter.

So anybody else got one of these? I'd really like to hear some opinions and flight reports!

$78,98 on eBay US

Vendor's video on youtube:
4ch radio control cessna airplane rc (2 min 12 sec)
niddaparkflyer is offline Find More Posts by niddaparkflyer
Last edited by niddaparkflyer; Jan 17, 2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: kinda get to like this plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2008, 02:57 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2008
537 Posts
Nice repair job!
TacoChuck is offline Find More Posts by TacoChuck
Old Dec 25, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Just got the Lanyu 747 Cessna

Just got this and am new to the RC world. Assembly looks easy but am unsure where to mount the receiver as it is just floating around inside cabin .
kiribatichris is offline Find More Posts by kiribatichris
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:20 PM
go bang a plane
Joined Nov 2007
299 Posts
On mine it was attached with velcro. Maybe there is a strip of velcro included, otherwise try double sided tape.
Here's two (bad) pics that show where it's supposed to be located.

Assembly is a piece of cake if you take care to get all the angles right.

Greetings to Kiribati, enjoy the summer!
Last edited by niddaparkflyer; Dec 25, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:48 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Ready to fly

Thanks niddaparkflyer, found other side of velcro way down in nose unattached. Photos came in handy for placement.
kiribatichris is offline Find More Posts by kiribatichris
Old Dec 26, 2008, 01:30 PM
go bang a plane
Joined Nov 2007
299 Posts
Hey Chris, good luck on your maiden!
Try it on a day with low wind.
Mine flew straight and level without any trimming required.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 03:53 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
Cessna Tw747

I BOUGHT ONE 4CH THREE MONTHS AGO FOR 85 EUROS. IT WAS MY FIRST RC AIPLANE. TO MY SMALL EXPERIENCE ITS FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS ARE EXELLENT. I DID A SMALL MODIFICATION ON THE TAIL WHEEL AS IT SEEMS TO BE VERY TINNY. IN ADDITION, I OPENED A PANEL UNDER THE FUSELAGE AND I ADDED A FRAME IN THE MIDDLE TO SUPPORT THE RUDDER AND THE ELEVATOR RODS. NOW THE MOVEMENT IS GOING DIRECT TO THE FLIGHT CONTROLS WITHOUT ANY LOSS OF MOVEMENT. I HAVE TWO BATTERIES NIMH AND I CAN FLY FOR APPRX. 10 MIN PER CELL . MY NEAR FUTURE PLAN IS TO CONVERT IT TO BRUSHLESS. I HAVE FOUND A GEAR BOX WHICH SEEMS TO BE SUITABLE FOR THIS MODEL. THIS IS THE Feigao 130 3.9:1 Aluminum Gearbox W/ heatsink. I LET YOU KNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by niddaparkflyer
A firend of mine fished this thing out of the bay for ten euros, but he didn't like it because it doesn't have ailerons as specified in the description. So he gave it to me for free...
Now I found out it flies really well, and since there is not much information around about it I decided it deserves its own thread.

There was no brand name on the box, the sign on the tx said LANYU (chinese?) Some further investigation showed it is a 745 (3ch) model with 747 (4ch) stickers, so maybe the dealer thought it _was_ the 4ch version.

At first I didn't like it, as it looks almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a Cessna. I was only after the small rx/esc unit and the micro servos, I planned to use them in a micro warbird. But of course I had to see if they worked
The build took about ten minutes, charging the batt with the supplied wallwart took two hours, then I took it out for a spin... and it turned out to be an ideal trainer for getting back into the hobby after more than ten years.

Some basic data:

Wingspan 980mm (40')
370 brushed motor with gearbox
8x6 prop
8 cell 650mAh NiMH
3ch 35MHz with rx/esc in one unit

For over a month now I have flown the hell out of this "Cessna Thing", tried to take it to its limits (and beyond). It will fly nice and slow for precise landings, loop endlessly on WOT, rudder rolls look ridiculous but can be done, and it will even fly inverted for some time - but it is wise to try that at altitude and not with the plane coming at you
Seems like the Cox P-51 will have to wait till spring

It's made of very brittle foam, but can take a lot of punishment and I was able to glue it back together after every crash.
Though it starts to look like Frankenstein's own plane it still flies well, but had to undergo some important modifications.
First was a battery switch, it had none. Another must is a steerable tail wheel, the stock one was fixed and didn't really deserve the name.
The cheap plastic main wheels broke apart after the first landings, so it got Graupner lightweight rubber wheels.
The cowling broke into 5 pieces on the first crash, luckily I found one in my LHS' scrap box that could be adapted and makes it look more like a Cessna... well, not really...
I also recommend using a folding prop, otherwise you have to get a new one after every hard landing.

So anybody else got one of these? I'd really like to hear some opinions and flight reports!

$78,98 on eBay US

Vendor's video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWflsELTL2A
lytrasm is offline Find More Posts by lytrasm
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:58 PM
go bang a plane
Joined Nov 2007
299 Posts
Hi lytrasm, welcome to rcgroups!

I would like to convert mine to brushless too, but rx and esc are in one unit and I have no idea how to attach a brushless speed control to this.

ATM I fly it with a 3s 650mAh lipo and a 9x5 folding prop. With this setup it is about 50g lighter and has a significant increase in power, motor and lipo don't get too hot, and it goes almost vertical!
The built-in LVC cuts off the motor, so lipo voltage does not drop below 9V.
Perfect!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:03 PM
go bang a plane
Joined Nov 2007
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChuck
Nice repair job!
Thanks Chuck, was quit a bit of a jigsaw, and it wouldn't have been possible without my Submolecular Heterodimensional Interquantumspin Transducer device...
Last edited by niddaparkflyer; Jan 17, 2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Made a new pic with photoshop and very very proud of it and hope somebody else who has a Lanyu Cessna reads this
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:32 PM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
That's not a bad looking plane...... It wouldn't be too difficult to add ailerons to that wing either. Looks like they're already marked out for you.

Nice catch from your friend that didn't like it. I also echo the shout of Good Repair Job!!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
FozzyTheBear is offline Find More Posts by FozzyTheBear
Old Jan 18, 2009, 04:25 PM
go bang a plane
Joined Nov 2007
299 Posts
Thanks Julian! It does look a lot better now with the "pimped" cowling and landing gear.

Unfortunately it is more difficult to add ailerons, the tx and rx are 3ch only. The ailerons would have to be bigger than the marked areas on the wings too.

Spare parts available at Schweighofer's (for Europe).

I like it the way it is now, good power on 3s, nice relaxing sunset flying, so i'll keep it like that. Maybe add some lights...

Working on some 4ch projects that will be more on the speedy side
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:01 AM
so what if its windy!..Scared?
Santa Rosa Ca.
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Do any of you know where to get parts for these planes? My prop shaft gear stripped any ideas or has anyone switched to brushless any help would beapreciated
norcalbass is offline Find More Posts by norcalbass
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:49 PM
go bang a plane
Joined Nov 2007
299 Posts
Welcome to RCGroups!

Brushless motors need a different type of speed controllers, and since the RX and ESC are in one unit I don't know how to do this. maybe it's different on the 4ch plane.

I found that GWS EPS-350C BB motors with "B" gear ratio are the perfect replacement, the look absolutely like the stock motor/gearbox.
I'm in Germany, but they should be available almost anywhere.

Here's a link at a german shop, that's the one I'm using right now.

Gears wear out fast in a dusty environment and strip easily on hard landings. I clean mine regularly and grease them lightly.

Edit: Google found this. They sell the gearboxes separately too. I think you need the GWS - EPS-350C-BS 4.43:1, but better figure out the gear ratio before ordering the wrong one.
Last edited by niddaparkflyer; Jan 19, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:32 PM
go bang a plane
Joined Nov 2007
299 Posts
Today I killed a motor.
I was flying about 3 minutes at WOT with a 3S lipo, trying out some new aerobatic maneuvers, when it suddenly died...

Luckily I have a spare one (with stripped gear ), letz see how long it will last.
Maybe it is unwise to fly WOT for so long, even at these sub-zero temperatures
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:36 AM
rosemead, CA
Joined Jan 2009
294 Posts
are there spare parts for this plane? i want to get one but want a spare part source
minorng is offline Find More Posts by minorng