Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:50 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Discussion
Heli Pad Review Series: SYMA S6 Mini 3CH Helicopter

Heli Pad Review Series: SYMA S6 3CH Coaxial Helicopter

Introduction

SYMA claims that the S6 is the world’s smallest RC helicopter. Is it the smallest RC helicopter in the world? I don’t know for sure. But I could honestly say that it is tiny. It is by far the smallest RC helicopter that I have ever flown. I have seen pictures of other small RC helicopters. Some of them are just 2 channels, and some don’t even have gyros. So, they are not even in the same class. Therefore, the SYMA S6 could very well be the world’s smallest RC helicopter of its class. Prior to the S6, the smallest helicopter in my fleet was the SYMA S110G. The S110G was so small and so darn cute; I just had to have it. I didn’t care how well it flies. Surprisingly, it was a very good flyer. It was not as refined as the big brother S107G, but nonetheless, it was very good. So, how does this even smaller S6 measure up? Let’s see.

What is in the Package?

The SYMA S6 kit comes with everything you need to fly except for the 4x AAA batteries that you need to provide:
• 1x SYMA S6 helicopter
• 1x Infra-Red Transmitter (IR Tx)
• 1x 3.7V 70mAh Lipo battery
• 1x Spare Tail Rotor
• 1x USB Charging Cable
• 1x Instruction Manual

First Impressions

Well, did I mention that it was tiny? To say that the SYMA S6 easily fits in your palm would be an understatement. The whole thing from the tip of the canopy to the end of the tail is 3 inches (7.7cm) long. It weights a whopping 11.2g! That’s the weight of two US quarters (coins).

The body was made with hard plastic. The S6 comes in two color choices: yellow or blue. I got the yellow one. The main rotors are fixed, non-pivoting blades. The tail boom is made of Carbon Fiber. The S6 has no front search light. The red LED inside the body keeps the body lit at night. Since this thing is so small, you are not going to fly it very far from yourself. Therefore, range and orientation are not issues. The parts feel a little hard and brittle. But again, this thing has such little mass and momentum, I think it will hold up just fine. The remote control is also very small. It is like a shrink down version of an Xbox remote. It is great for travel. But if you’d prefer to use a larger size remote. The S107G remote will work on this.

I should say a word about the battery. The tiny 70mAh internal battery gives 5 minutes of flight, which is comparable with its bigger siblings. But the difference is in the charge time! Since the capacity is only about half of a 150mAh, it also takes half the time to charge it! The typical charge time of a S107G is about 45 minutes. My SYMA quick charger brings the charge time down to 20 minutes. The same charge takes just 10 minutes to recharge the S6. So, it is back up in the air in no time (relatively speaking)!

How does it Fly?

The stable flying tradition of SYMA is carried over to this tiny S6. It bloody hovers hands-free effortlessly. It does drift a little. But you have to remember, this little thing will drift even if you breathe too hard! Once you get the hang of the throttle control, this guy buzzes around the room nicely. The S6 is very well controlled. If you are new to flying, you will find that coming out of a FFF run (Fast Forward Flight), the S6 will swing like a pendulum a bit more than its siblings. I think it is because of the small flybar. But it is very well behaved.

Where to Buy?

The SYMA S6 is available through a number of sellers for about $18 – 36 (wide range). The cheapest ones are Banggood and T-mart.

(Click) SYMA S6 Mini 3CH Helicopter

Pros
  • Low Price
  • Very good built quality
  • Small, take it with you everywhere
  • Stable flight
  • Quick recharge time
  • Always draws a cheering crowd

Cons
  • Spare parts are hard to find, and costly to repair
  • Sensitive to air currents

Summary
It is so affordable, so cute and so unique that everyone should have at least one, just to complete the smallest spectrum of your fleet. It is fun to buzz this thing around and let people admire its engineering. It is extremely controllable indoor. You are not going to set any speed record with it, but that’s just not the point. It is the “Honey, I’ve got something in my pocket that I want to show you” kind of fun. LOL. Highly recommended.

Video
Syma S6 Worlds Smallest RC Helo at 3 inches Flight (2 min 31 sec)

Photo Gallery
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Apr 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
SYMA S6 Parts List

Replacement Parts for SYMA S6. Click on image or link to be connected to an order page.

SYMA S6 Canopy
(Blue or Yellow)

SYMA S6 Rotors

SYMA S6 Head and Flybar

SYMA S6 Main Frame
(Yellow or Blue)

SYMA S6 Lipo Battery

SYMA S6 Tail Assembly
(Blue or Yellow)

SYMA S6 Lipo
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jun 13, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Reserved for FAQs
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Reserved for Mods and Troubleshooting.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 06:15 AM
United States, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Nov 2012
212 Posts
Nice review. Thanks
Another to put on my purchase list.
bobwrgt is offline Find More Posts by bobwrgt
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Banggood just dropped the price down to $16.99 this morning, making it the lowest price seller.

SYMA S6 Mini 3CH Helicopter
Old Apr 12, 2014, 02:00 AM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
120 Posts
HP,

Excellent review, as usual!

Mine are already on order, one to fly, and a second for spare parts.

Tmart did not have a color option. Blue is the only one listed, but I prefer that color anyway.

Thank you for all your wonderful reviews, and for your priceless help with heli problem solving.

Bill
Bill Adair is offline Find More Posts by Bill Adair
Old Apr 12, 2014, 02:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Thank you, Bill, for the good word. You are welcome.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:40 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,354 Posts
Not sure how this one slipped through my radar... just had a subscriber alert me to it, and I placed my order immediately.

Just by looking at it, though, it doesn't look smaller than the Silverlit Nano Falcon. Anyone get a chance to compare them side-by-side yet?
theimacman is online now Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Apr 12, 2014, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Ryan, I don't have a Nano Falcon to compare the S6 with. Just by looking at the specs, I think that they are about the same size and weight. That's why I have questioned SYMA's claim for the world's smallest. But there is no doubt that it is one of the smallest.

In terms of the remote, I think that the SYMA remote would feel much better in the hand than the Silverlit. I could really deal with its size and weight. But if I desire a bigger remote, I could always pull out my S107G remote.

In terms of the construction, I think the S6 is more durable. It's tail boom is CF, instead of a plastic truss. The Falcon's blade looks more like a piece of cutout lexan. So, once again, I would vote for the S6.

Pricing wise. I found a Falcon for $40. The S6 is $17. No comparison.

If anyone has the Falcon, I'd like to hear about its flight characteristics. I'm not going to spend $40 just to compare.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:44 AM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
120 Posts
Well, here it is over a week since I ordered my Syma S6 helicopters, and I've just been notified by email that they are out of stock! They did offer to sub a similar priced item, refund my money, or to wait for new stock to arrive.

I chose to wait for new stock, because I think that everyone else shipping from US sources wants $25 to $40 for them.

Guess I'll pour another pint of Stout, and have a snack while I wait.

Bill
Bill Adair is offline Find More Posts by Bill Adair
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
You, my friend, are a good sport, Bill. I could imagine that a lot of people getting mad at this scenario and curse at the seller. Truth is, a lot of times, the seller is at the mercy of the factory. They promised a shipment and didn't deliver, what are you going to do? After all, these are just toys, not something that we couldn't live without.

Relax, have another sip. I hope that it will come back into stock soon. I wish that you were closer. Then I could let you borrow mine and play with it while you wait. Good luck, Bill.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:47 AM
Joined Feb 2014
14 Posts
I just placed an order at Banggood and it only came to $16.14 with the provided EASTER code.

HP

What exactly is the "SYMA quick charger" that you are speaking of and where can I get one? Besides the yellow USB that is provided with the S107, I have a wall(110V) charger as well. However, it still takes a considerable amount of time to charge my S107. It is certainly more than the 20 minutes that you previously claimed you were achieving. Once I actually receive the S6, 10 minute charge times sound rather enticing!!!

Thanks
RACERX167 is offline Find More Posts by RACERX167
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Rob, about 2.5 years ago, I purchased a Syma charger from Superstition Hobbies through Amazon. It is a 5V DC charger, rated at 800mA, made specifically for Syma micro helicopters, because the end of the cable has a plug like the Syma cable. It is not useful for anything else.

I have shared that info with a lot of people. Some people got the same extra product and couldn't be happier. Others went to Amazon, but didn't specify the vendor, and ended up getting something similar, but rated at 500mA or 350mA. The end result was that it was not any faster than using the USB cable, or worst. For some reasons, this 800mA charge cuts the charging times to half.

Others have also used their own USB chargers rated all the way upwards to 2.4mA but the results were not any faster than my little charger. Somehow, it was the sweet spot for SYMA helis.

Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore. The link that I used to share with people is now broken. There are similar products, but I haven't tested them. YMMV. This is what I see as "promising" today:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...a+110v+charger

So many vendors. There is no telling which one sells a fast charger. Your guess is as good as mine.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:58 PM
Joined Feb 2014
14 Posts
I just checked mine and it is 350mA. As mentioned the thing is totally worthless and actually does take longer than the stock USB charger.

Does anyone know of a vendor that may possibly carry this charger(800mA), or have one that they may personally want to unload?

I was telling HP that I thought with as many S107's that are being flown nowadays accompanied with the new release of the S5 and S6, that there could be a nice little market for these chargers? I realize that it doesn't exactly prolong longevity when speaking of battery life, but the batteries are SOOOO inexpensive anyways who really cares?

I was already dumb enough to pay $4 for a product that is inferior to the one that is originally included with the heli. So what the heck, I could probably be suckered into doing so again if I honestly felt it could cut my charge times in half?
RACERX167 is offline Find More Posts by RACERX167
Last edited by RACERX167; Apr 21, 2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling