HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:46 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
310 Posts
New Product
Hobbyzone duet

Do you see the new micro STRATOS, HOBBYZONE DUET.

John
johnkielsen is online now Find More Posts by johnkielsen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:59 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Ya, kinda brings out the old nostalgic aero ace memories in my heart. Hope that differential thrust is programmed for faster response than the old aero aces though! Also uses the same batteries as most of our 1s planes and helis.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:18 AM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,540 Posts
That could replace my Night Vapor as a front yard flier.
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneritc View Post
That could replace my Night Vapor as a front yard flier.
It seems like a pretty heavy model. The price point is awesome for getting people into the hobby. I love the style of it too. I'm considering one for our indoor flying this winter, but I am concerned about the wing loading for slow flight.

EDIT: I just found this video and it looks great for a $60 plane.
HBZ5300 Dealer Cut (2 min 1 sec)
brandonherring is offline Find More Posts by brandonherring
Last edited by brandonherring; Sep 13, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:26 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
310 Posts
It is 35 g

John
johnkielsen is online now Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen View Post
It is 35 g

John
I just saw a similar figure on amain website. I'm not sure where I saw it a couple of days ago listed as close to 70g. 35g is a more realistic figure.
Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:28 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,111 Posts
Cool little bird.

The big question is........does the box have a handle? haha
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:36 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,183 Posts
The video proves that 1- the model is very good at right hand turns and 2- elevator music can ruin any video
Happy weekend everyone…
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:17 AM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
94 Posts
Must admit, i'm interested in this little plane too, even though im far from a beginner having about 30 planes now and flying stuff like the Inverza 3D...but i still end up flying stuff like the micro cub, fokker, or Vapor just cause i never get the time to go to a field and can only fly the slow micros in my yard...and still love them.
Just wish there was a bit more info. Assuming theyd never offer this as a BNF, but wondering if the RX will work with higher-end Spektrum TX, like my DX8? It doesnt even say its Spektrum, just 2.4ghz. Actually like the simple yet cool look of it, and its a perfect size, and great that it uses the standard 1S batts.
Hoping it will bind with a good radio though...
fstop is offline Find More Posts by fstop
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:40 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
The videos showed that it had plenty of diff thrust power to taxi easily, which should mean we'll have good response. The worst thing with some of the aero aces was how slowly they reacted in turning.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:10 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
421 Posts
Here's a review of it with some outdoor flying in a bit of a breeze.

HobbyZone Duet - Unboxing and Action Video (3 min 54 sec)

It looks like one I might have to try.

Rick
Ricomon is online now Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Must admit, i'm interested in this little plane too, even though im far from a beginner having about 30 planes now and flying stuff like the Inverza 3D...but i still end up flying stuff like the micro cub, fokker, or Vapor just cause i never get the time to go to a field and can only fly the slow micros in my yard...and still love them.
Just wish there was a bit more info. Assuming theyd never offer this as a BNF, but wondering if the RX will work with higher-end Spektrum TX, like my DX8? It doesnt even say its Spektrum, just 2.4ghz. Actually like the simple yet cool look of it, and its a perfect size, and great that it uses the standard 1S batts.
Hoping it will bind with a good radio though...
I read on another thread about it that it will not bind with spektrum. Evidently they said something about trying to stay in the $60 RTF price as the reason... I do not claim to understand exactly why it would be more $ etc. This was just a post in another thread about it.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:43 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
The hobbyzone firebird stratos you could say its modeled after, a smaller cheaper version of, isn't dsm2/DSMX either, so it's fine. I mean this is a true beginner plane.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
The hobbyzone firebird stratos you could say its modeled after, a smaller cheaper version of, isn't dsm2/DSMX either, so it's fine. I mean this is a true beginner plane.
I agree. At this price and type of plane I think it is fine. I have a lot of planes 3D etc. I'll just enjoy this one for slow flight and touch and go type flying at our indoor meetups. I am actually looking forward to getting one. It's super inexpensive and looks like lots of fun. Uses the same 1s batteries also which is awesome. I would have preferred it to be on DSM2/X but it is no deal breaker for me.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:32 PM
southeastern US
Joined Nov 2006
94 Posts
Thats what i was assuming too, not Spektrum-compatable.
Guess i just do not understand using a different 2.4ghz system within brands that are within the HH umbrella, and i wouldnt think a different radio modulation would necessarily be cheaper to mass-produce.
But i agree, its a cute little plane that has a fair price for a complete RTF package.
Just dont like to have to carry more than one radio.
Plus, the ergonomics of a good radio just makes it easier-funner to fly, even with a lesser or slow trainer-type plane....but i'll probably still have to get this for my yard-flying!
fstop is offline Find More Posts by fstop