SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
61 Posts
Question
Panel lines

Hi everyone

Im in the prosses of building a new fuselage for my H1 racer. On my previous one i used chrome oracover and after a wile it started to wrinkle and it looked auwfull. So with this new fuselage i decided to use glass fibre and z poxy finishing resin etc. Iv got to the stage now where im thinking of the panel lines and it has quite a few, now iv never done anything like this before so i thought id start on something small like the rudder and elevators but was woundering what would be the best way to do the lines. Iv seen a few different methods used such as air brush, chart pak tape etc but didnt know which way to go ?.

Kind regards

Chris :-)
H1 RACER is offline Find More Posts by H1 RACER
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:33 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,501 Posts
Hi Chris,

I use 1/64" Chartpak tape and primer to make flush panel lines. The tapes are applied and then three coats of primer are sprayed over just the tapes. Once dry the primer is sanded back until the tape is exposed. I generally dry sand with 320 but occassionally wet sand to blend everything together. Wet sanding has to be done carefully as it will soften and loosen up the tape. Once done sanding the tape is removed and the resulting panel lines are gently scrubbed with a soft toothbrush and soapy water to remove any residue. Don't let the shallow panel lines fool you, they will show up just fine under a coat of paint and particularly so if you weather them with a dark wash. (Or a light one on a dark colored model!)

Here is the black primer over the tapes. I used primer out of a rattle can in this case which is why the resultant paint application is much wider than it really needs to be. No worries about weight since 90% of this gets sanded off anyway.

After pulling up the tapes.

Here are the results after a coat of Zinc primer and then a dark wash.

And the finished and weathered model. Some of the panel lines have as many as four coats of paint over them and they still show up just fine. Although it may be a bit hard to see in the pictures.

Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
61 Posts
Hi chad

That looks awsome ! It looks so relistic, cant wait to get cracking on myne. Just a question about the primering you say just spray the lines but wont that leave it raised compared to the rest of the serface ? or is it to thin to notice once sanded.

Chris
H1 RACER is offline Find More Posts by H1 RACER
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:18 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,501 Posts
The primer over the tapes gets sanded and blended into the surrounding surface Chris. Once finished most of the primer will be sanded off except for the small ridge that forms on either side of the tape to create the panel line.

PS - After thinking about the process a bit more I'd like to amend my statement above regarding dry sanding. Actually, I probably wet sand as much or more than I dry sand. You just have to be cautious when sanding over the tapes not to get too agressive.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich