HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:38 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
and it has big time more lift than helium.
Not quite, hydrogen will lift about 10% more than helium for the same volume.

I'm also thinking about using hydrogen for my future project. Helium would be ridiculously expensive.
I guess a hydrogen gas cylinder from industrial suppliers would be cheaper, but if you need a licence for that I think electrolysis is the way to go.
There are a few problems with that though, like building a powerful and large enough cell to supply a reasonable flow so you don't have to wait weeks till the balloon is done. Or taking a gasoline electric generator at field to supply the cell.

Anyway, extreme care must be taken when manipulating hydrogen, like using antistatic gloves and costume.Things can turn into a disaster dead easily.

BTW, how do you cover the filament with rcandy? Pour it when it's liquid or stuff it in powder form?
AFAIK this type of fuel does not ignite as easily as BP for example. So I have not even tried it, but used powder from match stick heads instead - which I know are extremely sensitive. If it works with rcandy it's great!
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Last edited by Zen09; Sep 19, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:56 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
you are probably right about the difference between the two. i was thinking because hydrogen is half the weight it would lift 2x more but apparently this aint true. maybe walmart helium is the best way to go. but its not pure and more expensive. diy hydrogen is certainly cheaper. so i dunno.

im not sure about hydrogen disaster. unlike the test tube that pops/whistles, our baloons filled with pure hydrogen just went up pretty harmlessly in a blue ball of flame. i would not try that indoors though.

we dipped the filament in the melted rocket candy. thin coat was best. thick coats sometimes (but rarely) failed to ignite. it was hard to get the powder form to stick. same for match head perchlorate etc.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:37 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
922 Posts
Yes it's half the weight but air displacement is what matters more, and 1.2kg / m^3 air density compared to 0.18 and 0.08 of helium/hydrogen makes the difference less.

Quote:
our baloons filled with pure hydrogen just went up pretty harmlessly in a blue ball of flame.
Unless is mixed with oxygen, it does not blow that bad, but you wouldn't want to be anywhere near (while filling it). Serious burns.

I was afraid I could damage the filament with semi liquid fuel, since it's fragile. Gonna test with powder, it should stick if I fill the whole bulb .
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
701 Posts
Thanks dave, will look more into it.
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I second the use of an MCU over the Pi for this application... The onboard system doesn't need a whole lot going on, and the Pi is a bit overkill. Plus a chip such as the Atmega328p can be had for only a few bucks. There are many sensor modules available including altimiters, GPS, etc.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:02 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,585 Posts
Well as of right now all my son wants to do is send legos up with a camera. I have not had much time to play with any electronics so the project is not moving any which way for the time being. I will let you all know what happens as it happens.

Massey
Massey is online now Find More Posts by Massey
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
Some inspiration for you both:

Teenagers Send Lego Man Into Space (0 min 56 sec)

A Toy Train in Space (2 min 28 sec)

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:06 AM
User
Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,424 Posts
There was a time back in the summer of 2000 when I launched 3-4 helium filled balloons per day to 70,000+ ft. Depending on wind conditions, telemetry indicated that the furthest a payload landed was 270 miles from the launch site. Flight time to balloon burst averaged 2.5 hours.
rmteo is offline Find More Posts by rmteo
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:58 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
There was a time back in the summer of 2000 when I launched 3-4 helium filled balloons per day to 70,000+ ft
Thats a lot of Lego, what were you building up there ?
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:04 PM
User
Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
Thats a lot of Lego, what were you building up there ?
I was feld testing a phased array antenna tracking system for radiosondes. Although we already had GPS based systems at the time, the customer wanted an alternative in case access to DOD satellites were denied during a conflict.
Last edited by rmteo; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:04 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
im also considering something like that for tracking because gps is so expensive and heavy. but those little 50 cent ook tx modules weigh almost nothing. so im trying to find some way to mod them for 462mhz fm so i can track with cheapo frs talkies. ive been working on this for 2 years but still not quite there.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:53 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
im also considering something like that for tracking because gps is so expensive and heavy
Well, the Mediatek 3329 GPS modules cost around $25 (or less) and weigh 6g. The Hope RF modules weigh 0.8g.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:33 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
so only 80x more expensive and 10x heavier. lol! actually i can get sirfIII modules for around $8 even with antenna weighing around a gram but still too much for my balloon and micro uav plans:

Last edited by dave1993; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: pic
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:58 PM
User
Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,424 Posts
Quote:
im also considering something like that for tracking because gps is so expensive and heavy.
At the time, GPS sondes (a disposable item, the ground tracking equipment sold for about US$40,000) at around US$800 each were considered cheap.

On the system I was working on, the sondes were considerably cheaper (about 1/4 the price) as they did not have GPS (just a UHF transmitter) but the ground station had a budgetary price of US$250,000+ IIRC. And it it weighed something like 150lb and required a 3-man crew to deploy.

FYI, something I am working on High Endurance UAV, motive/power subsystem??

Last edited by rmteo; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:56 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
yikes! so if i can build a tracker for a buck or two for hobby use it will be very satisfying. im pretty close atm with just some minor cost and range issues. my goal is to get 10-15miles. i know from field tests the frs can do that now its the tx end (modulation. antenna, etc) that needs work.

btw i hope that guy dont nudge his throttle stick by accident. it will give new meaning to the phrase "being in two places at once".