HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
Joined Apr 2006
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
here's the video
http://vimeo.com/107394582

Maybe it's just more down elevator that's needed to keep the nose down and also, that would keep the nose up when inverted.

It might just be me but you're looking *very* tail heavy. It's not all bad though, it looks like it stalls pretty nice and you can scoot around high alpha quite a bit
InaneCathode is offline Find More Posts by InaneCathode
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 10:09 AM
Crasher Extraordinaire
United Kingdom, England, Devon
Joined Apr 2012
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555 View Post
Ive done that, not recently though,, but I was in a hurry and they were backwards oops'

when I check the throws, and i teach the set ups is the stick greets the surface, so standing be hind the plane the aileron stick moves to the right and the aileron comes up to greet it, same with the elevator, so the right stick greets, and the left stick pushes,, whatever works sam
I like that idea! Each aileron should high five the transmitter stick! Brilliant!!! I hope you don't mind me stealing it as a tip for other forums.
cheapncheerful is offline Find More Posts by cheapncheerful
Old Today, 10:38 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,711 Posts
Thanks for the input chaps. Here is the Take-2 video from yesterday:
Hawker Hunter (3 min 18 sec)

Much easier to fly now that I've moved the CoG back about 25mm, an inch. The clues were: hard to fly inverted except with a lot of "forward" on the elevator stick; secondly, pitching up as soon as I opened the throttle. The theory is, IMHO: at faster speeds the elevator incidence becomes more effective. Flying slower requires up elevator to keep the plane level because she is nose heavy. This one is definitely a keeper and I'm looking forward to finishing the job when I get back from my travels.

I will start a build thread with the plans and pictures I have so far. My campaign is to convince people that Depron can be bent and manipulated into curves and bends. It's useful for much more than just flat panels.

Cheers

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Today, 01:05 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canair View Post
I had a battered old Easy Star wing that I decided to fix up and re-surface. The body was toast so I decided to make an Axon fuselage and pair them together.

I'll post back when I've maidened it and report how the pairing works. I'm hoping to use this as a FVP platform
This is quite brilliant, thank you. I've got a tweaked nose EasyStar that only wants to turn left, but the wings themselves are fine. I acquired some carbon arrow shafts with the intent to create a dual boom pusher but hadn't finalized the fuse section - your Armin tube and EZ* wings makes perfect sense.
viper522 is online now Find More Posts by viper522
Old Today, 01:08 PM
Crasher Extraordinaire
Joined Apr 2012
195 Posts
Now you're talkin!!!
Old Today, 01:09 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
That looks better Nick.
Bending depron by either cold or hot forming is a skill that I still need to acquire. I just can't get my head around how prevent the fuse being a banana. The only way I can see to do it is start with basically a profile fuse, add curved vertical formers on all four sides and then skin.
I'll be interested to see how you tackled this when you have chance to post the build log
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Today, 01:17 PM
Crasher Extraordinaire
Joined Apr 2012
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
That looks better Nick.
Bending depron by either cold or hot forming is a skill that I still need to acquire. I just can't get my head around how prevent the fuse being a banana. The only way I can see to do it is start with basically a profile fuse, add curved vertical formers on all four sides and then skin.
I'll be interested to see how you tackled this when you have chance to post the build log
Andy
Hmm, near boiling (80C) water, two pairs of rubber gloves, a 50mm plastic pipe as a former and loads of elastic bands? Or you could check out Simon Chaddock on modelflying.co.uk he is an epic builder of depron models.
Old Today, 05:13 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,711 Posts
Bending Depron .... Being a simple sort of fellow, I've stuck to one simple rule:

If you can stop the outside surface of a bend from cracking, the inside surface will compress. That's all. If you can roll up a piece of Depron, it will be pretty straight.

To make sure that the Seabee had a nice straight fuse, life was not so simple as the Hunter, I couldn't just roll up a tube. I started with a keel, or spine, and I made sure that was straight by gluing 6mm cf strips to top and bottom. Build thread is here

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud