Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:38 AM
Twisted Bannistator
Bromley, Kent, UK
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Question
Airbrush and Compressor sets for foamies?, UK based, but all help appreciated

Hi all,

I have been building foamies for a while now, but have recently been using RC Styro colour sprays. They're good for large areas, but however, it's costly and not great for detail, also very limited on colours. Could anyone please advise any ideas for an airbrush and compressor set and any links to deals in the UK for around the 100 region. All i know is a double action one is the way to go, and an automatic switch off compressor to cut down on the noise, but i'm guessing both of these take the price tag up.

Thanks all

Mike
bannistator is offline Find More Posts by bannistator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:32 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,257 Posts
I have never tried a compressor and gun, only a small airbrush and canned air, (pretty useless, that's me not the system).

Have you tried the Painting and Finishing Tips forum.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:22 AM
No retreat no surrender
USA, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Apr 1999
659 Posts
I bought a double action Paasche? new at a swap meet and hooked it up to my old compressor with a five gallon tank. An extra filter/regulator on the hose and off we went. Painted my first foamie last weekend and it was fun. Paint quality was a huge factor for me as I had frustrating experiences in the past. I used Createx brand which is a water based foam safe paint. I got it from one of the major hobby shops in the area and I am sure glad I did. The results were consistent and it was not too hard to learn with some practice and You Tube video instructions. Buy the right paint-it will save a lot of grief. Jim
newguy is offline Find More Posts by newguy
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,375 Posts
at some hardware / auto shops have a 5 to 10 gallon air tanks that you bring to a garage and use the pumps there to fill it and you then have a silent compressor, just remember to use a air filter on the supply line and a regulator and get 2 gauges one for the tank and one for the line to your brush so you can see your pressure you are painting at. as i brush at 4-6 lbs
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:43 PM
Twisted Bannistator
Bromley, Kent, UK
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Thanks guys for the info, after a little browse around shops and through the painting tips forum, the best one to go for was a paasche vl, however, this and a decent compressor is looking about the 200 mark. I've found a site, and read a couple of good reviews, here at http://www.airbrush-pro.co.uk/
under the compressor section and its the AS186 kit @ 100.90. Any objections?

thanks
bannistator is offline Find More Posts by bannistator