HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:30 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,105 Posts
4mm connectors are barely suitable for continuous 40 amps. However FMA uses a slightly longer than normal plug that increases contact area. Even still it will tend to run a little warm. You can clean the contacts on the charger and the bananas with some Deoxit. That will help improve the connection and reduce heat.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
What sort of output would u get if you use the powerstation with the 8x2?
Get2daChoppa is offline Find More Posts by Get2daChoppa
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
219 Posts
I've got to be missing something simple. I had a couple of Prismatic 3.3V/100 Ah cells that I was discharging for recycling and I wanted to discharge them internally, 1 per channel on my DPL8. I set the discharge current for 20 Amps on each channel and used the 1-5S non-balanced preset with a 2.0 V discharge level. When I use CCS to start the discharge, the screen where the charge/discharge/ etc choice is, I verify that discharge is set for 20 Amps. But when the discharge starts, the best I can get is 10 Amps, 33 Watts and the "set point" reads only 10 Amps., not the 20 I set and CCS confirms. I can't see anything in that preset that would limit the current to 10 Amps. What am I missing?
BVH is online now Find More Posts by BVH
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get2daChoppa View Post
What sort of output would u get if you use the powerstation with the 8x2?
A general rule of thumb is the charger will be able to deliver about 90% of the supply's power to the packs.

The power station is 1320W which means 1188 watts to the packs. To determine the amount of current, divide 1188 by the pack voltage. For 3s that would max out both channels. For 6s that would be about 23 amps per channel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
I've got to be missing something simple. I had a couple of Prismatic 3.3V/100 Ah cells that I was discharging for recycling and I wanted to discharge them internally, 1 per channel on my DPL8. I set the discharge current for 20 Amps on each channel and used the 1-5S non-balanced preset with a 2.0 V discharge level. When I use CCS to start the discharge, the screen where the charge/discharge/ etc choice is, I verify that discharge is set for 20 Amps. But when the discharge starts, the best I can get is 10 Amps, 33 Watts and the "set point" reads only 10 Amps., not the 20 I set and CCS confirms. I can't see anything in that preset that would limit the current to 10 Amps. What am I missing?
Internal discharge is limited to 10a or 95w, which ever comes first. If you configure the packs as 2s or 3s you will be able to get closer to the maximum internal wattage rating. From the specs:

Output battery discharge current: Internal discharge 10mA to 10A, 95W max Regenerative discharge 10mA to 40A, 1344W max**
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
219 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh..... Somehow I skimmed right over the 10 Amp max for internal. Thanks!
BVH is online now Find More Posts by BVH