Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:20 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
Microsoft's .NET Gadgeteer

I hadn't heard of this until an article I read on Tomshardware.

http://www.netmf.com/gadgeteer/

My god, the modules already available!!! including a $35 gyro!

Seems MS might be on the warpath!
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:30 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,589 Posts
Hi Deckie,
These boards are impressive, but I see two issues:
  • Prices for boards range between $70 and $130 USD, on the high side. Wider adoption in the gadget workspace may bring it down to a more reasonable range
  • .Net Micro framework is not Open Source, it's proprietary, which usually leads to "vendor lockin", which can result in the vendor holding a gun to your head at some point

Just my opinion
Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:33 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
Hi Deckie,
These boards are impressive, but I see two issues:
  • Prices for boards range between $70 and $130 USD, on the high side. Wider adoption in the gadget workspace may bring it down to a more reasonable range
  • .Net Micro framework is not Open Source, it's proprietary, which usually leads to "vendor lockin", which can result in the vendor holding a gun to your head at some point

Just my opinion
Pete
I agree. That's the problem with the ChipKIT boards as well, many of the libraries and the compiler are still closed-source.
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie