HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Discussion
Hotels, Directions, etc

There are a lot of hotels in the area. Check Madison, Geneva, Austinburg, Ashtabula.

Austinburg is one exit east of the event on I-90 (about 5 miles away) and there are some decent places there. There is a "Motel-6", a gas station, two fast-food places and a restaurant right across the street from the venue. The event is located on interstate 90 at the Rt 534 exit (Geneva). Unfortunately we were not able to secure any special rates this year from any of the places in the area..

You can use this link and see a map, with a list of all the hotels in the area, provided by GOOGLE.
The event is located at the "A".

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...&ved=0CN4BELYD
themudduck is offline Find More Posts by themudduck
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:49 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudduck View Post
There are a lot of hotels in the area. Check Madison, Geneva, Austinburg, Ashtabula.

Austinburg is one exit east of the event on I-90 (about 5 miles away) and there are some decent places there. There is a "Motel-6", a gas station, two fast-food places and a restaurant right across the street from the venue. The event is located on interstate 90 at the Rt 534 exit (Geneva). Unfortunately we were not able to secure any special rates this year from any of the places in the area..

You can use this link and see a map, with a list of all the hotels in the area, provided by GOOGLE.
The event is located at the "A".

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...&ved=0CN4BELYD
Nice, we stayed at the Hampton last year, close and convenient. Near restaurants, but the best place to eat is at the Spire facility itself. The Fuel restaurant is outstanding.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:56 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,289 Posts
I just booked the America's Best Value for $155.72 for two nights.
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Jul 2011
359 Posts
Back at the Hampton again this year.
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Directions / map

Guys, please click on this link to see a map. The SPIRE institute is a giant sports facility located right at the Geneva Ohio exit on Interstate 90. Look for the intersecton of Rt 534 and I-90, and you'll see "Spire" there.

You can use the map to zoom in or out, to see where it's located in relation to where you are (just keep zooming out!

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...&ved=0CJ0BELYD

From the SPIRE website, here are directions:
From Cleveland:
Go East on I-90. Exit off the Geneva Exit (exit #218 on Rt. 534). Take a left at the light heading north. SPIRE entrance will be on your right.

From Erie:
Go West on I-90. Exit off the Geneva Exit (exit #218 on Rt. 534). Take a right off the exit heading north. SPIRE entrance will be on your right.

From Pittsburgh:
Take PA Turnpike to OH Turnpike. Take first exit marked 680 towards Youngstown. The road will take you around Youngstown and then exit 680 onto Route 711 at exit 3a. Route 711 then turns into Route 11. Stay on Route 11 about 40 miles until you hit I-90 and take that west for two exits to the Geneva Exit (exit #218 on Rt. 534). Take a right off the exit heading north. SPIRE entrance will be on your right.

Also please check the next post.
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Where the heck IS the event located??

Yeah Spire is a really big place. It's like a college campus.

Check out this link, there is a MAP of the campus and some REALLY cool pics of the facility.

http://www.spireinstitute.org/facili...field-building

When you enter from Rt 534 (bottom left on the map) you will be driving in on an access road and you'll see several large buildings on the left. (that's NOT where we are). The first one you'll see is the "Field and Courts" building (marked #1 on the map), they have volleyball, basketball, tennis and other stuff going on in there. Then there is an outdoor football field and stadium (#2 on the map)

You will reach an intersection and there will be a large building in front of you. (#4 on the map) This is the Aquatic Center and the FUEL cafeteria is located inside. Go around the RIGHT of the traffic circle, continue straight ahead and the parking lot becomes gravel (they're not done yet). Look for the signs pointing towards the BANQUET HALL. You will be driving all the way to the back, and the road will make a LEFT turn going around the aquatic building.

Then you will continue and you'll see another very large building coming up on the left, that is the "INDOOR TRACK AND FIELD" house and "BANQUET HALL". This is #3 on the map and this is where the HEF is located. There is parking for 5000 cars on the right side.

You can unload at the entrance but YOU CANNOT LEAVE YOUR CAR THERE.
Do NOT park in front of orange cones. That's a fire lane.

The parking lot at the end of the road is for vendors only.

We do have a designated area for handicapped parking (you need a permit in your car). That area is on the left, just as you get to the building. (that is between bldg3 and bldg 4 on the map, and you'll have your own entrance)
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Food

Om, NOM NOM NOM NOM Flying makes you hungry.

I thought I would talk about this subject so you can know what to expect.

First of all - inside the HEF:
There is a concession area in the center of the grandstand area directly behind the main flight line. It's hard to see until you're there, because it's about 4 feet below the main floor level... but it's there. This is a typical stand that you'd expect at a stadium. They have natchos, hot dogs, snacks, soft drinks, that kind of thing. They're GOOD hot dogs too, not crappy ones. I don't remember for sure but they are serving either "Nathans" or "Hebrew National", sorry can't remember for sure. They also have some "healthy items" too but I can't vouch for that! LOL

We cannot allow any food or drink on the track & field area (where we are flying, and where the vendors are). Thank you for your understanding!

There is a 2000-seat banquet hall upstairs overlooking the field. One day we hope to have our own dinner there! This area is for private parties and so on, and won't be open during HEF. You can go up there and eat your lunch in the balcony if you wish!!

Secondly - the FUEL cafeteria. This place is in the aquatics building next door.
The management needed a place to handle a crowd - and so they have this giant cafeteria. The seating area can handle 350 but it has two levels to handle even larger groups. The serving area is set up with "stations" so there are multiple options to pick from. In other words, there is a station for pizza, one for sandwiches, one for a burger grill, one for pasta, one for salad, one for soup, one for fruit, one AWESOME one for dessert ... you get the idea. The food is meant to tailor to an athlete's needs so everything is labeled with nutritional information. Each station is very modern and has the gourmet touch. Helpful Chefs with white uniforms and hats make your entree on marble counters while you watch. The salad bar has dozens of items to pick from, including home-made dressings. The prices are not super cheap, it's "moderate". Don't get me wrong it's NOT like eating at a high-school cafeteria. Think "dinner prices" instead of "fast food prices". They are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But it IS a cafeteria, so there are no waiters and you have to bus your own table... over to the super cool ROBOTIC tray-handling conveyor...

OK don't take my word for it, please see this article that was in the local paper.
http://www.news-herald.com/articles/...mode=fullstory

OUTSIDE the Spire Institute, there is a McDonalds, a Wendy's, a Pizza Hut, and a nice restaurant called "CHOPS". There's also a bar down the street but I don't know anything about that, so I won't say anything.
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 16, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:49 AM View Post
ellaalouisee0506
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:26 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Nov 2010
20 Posts
Motel 6 Geneva recommended?

Has anyone stayed at the Motel 6 at the Geneva exit?
If so would you recommend it?
Is it a clean place?
Just looking for a cheap clean place to spend the night.
rwp033 is offline Find More Posts by rwp033
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp033 View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Motel 6 at the Geneva exit?
If so would you recommend it?
Is it a clean place?
Just looking for a cheap clean place to spend the night.
I stayed there last year, never again! Mattress was horrible, had springs poking me in the back, worst I have ever slept on, or at least tried to sleep. Staying at the Hampton this year.
CLEVER1 is offline Find More Posts by CLEVER1
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVER1 View Post
I stayed there last year, never again! Mattress was horrible, had springs poking me in the back, worst I have ever slept on, or at least tried to sleep. Staying at the Hampton this year.
Thanks for the heads up. Canceled reservations.
Double the money but I'm back at the Hampton!
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, OH, Eastlake
Joined Jan 2007
467 Posts
Lazertoyz Team

We are at the Hampton this year again.
Diane
Diane@lazertoyz is offline Find More Posts by Diane@lazertoyz
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:43 AM
Red Beard
United States, PA
Joined Jun 2007
48 Posts
what town is the hampton in. how much is room
redbearddebspike is offline Find More Posts by redbearddebspike
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Nov 2010
20 Posts
The Hampton is in Austinburg, OH.
rwp033 is offline Find More Posts by rwp033
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:30 AM View Post
ivwiwba35
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.