HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:21 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
i moght buy one of these..take it apart , trace each part in #autocad and.... Scale it up to 65Inches!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:05 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
So made a couple of tweaks to my linkages today to make left rolls as fast as right rolls and got that all taken care of and working very well. After putting a handful of batteries thru it the last 2 days I really noticed it. So off for the test flight. Rolling left as well as right same speed, flying nice and level at all speeds except full throttle where there is the tiniest roll to the right.

After 2 minutes LVC kicked in and I went uh oh. Realized I grabbed the wrong battery off the table to test fly it with. did a great looking elevator to the ground and crunched the landing gear out. grrrrr. Lol. Anyways sliced back the foam behind the landing gear slopped some wood glue in there, stuck all the pieces back and clamped it all back together. Should dry up real nice and be good and strong once more. 3rd time it's been busted out and I actually think this might be the best repair I've done on it. Hahahah.

At least ill be able to fly again tomorrow. Was bummed I crunched it since there was no wind and I had a couple more batteries to fly this evening.
what did you have to do with the linkages to get the ailerons moving evenly?
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
HS 45s

I agree, unless you fly real smooth and pretty on about 50% rates the 45's wont do the job. I wore out the 45 on the 33" java sold me and replaced with a 65 HB. Its already starting to twitch a little to after about a 100 flights and i gotta believe almost as much force on one 40" aileron than two on a 33"

QUOTE=teshiecat;22910202]I wouldn't be putting those hs-45hb's in the edge for ailerons.. they're only rated to about 1 kg/cm 4.8v / 1.2kg/cm 6V ...that's pretty low for these size ailerons and the performance of this airframe.. i'd be concerned with decent entry speeds into many tricks with those servos, and the loads on em in general.. may be ok with the lower powered 72g motor though, I'd imagine only just though..

..they're way under recommended specs anyway.[/QUOTE]
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:08 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
275 Posts
I agree with frank... 45's are too small..

if you are just looking to save a few bucks.. check these out:

I use them on a 48" VR1 and on my Edge will have them as well.

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...oge-servo.html

Or:

These are good too...
I would much rather buy these than some other off brand... Value is in the US as well.. So shipping is quick and inexpensive.
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:20 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
what did you have to do with the linkages to get the ailerons moving evenly?
My control arm on the left aileron was just at the wrong angle. It wasn't sticking out of the servo at 90 degrees. Was off about 20 degrees. Not sure what I was thinking when I put it together but clearly I must have been drinking. Hahaha. And being still kinda a noob at setups never thought about it. Lol
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
They are rated as FASSSTT too! I may get some of these and a motor and ESC from them to put back in my 41" edge, Looks like I can do it all for around $65 shipping included! If this stuf is good that means 41" Edges can be in the Air for $200 total.... and if this gear works in it and holds up then it might be possible to put a 46" Yak up for under $275 and a 51" slick in the air for under $400 total!
I am liking where this is going

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaScript View Post
I agree with frank... 45's are too small..

if you are just looking to save a few bucks.. check these out:

I use them on a 48" VR1 and on my Edge will have them as well.

Or:

These are good too...
I would much rather buy these than some other off brand... Value is in the US as well.. So shipping is quick and inexpensive.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bigbookfrank; Oct 04, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:51 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
I just got back from my maiden flight. What a fun little plane! Regardless of the 20mph winds I still had plenty fun. No fluttering at full throttle, even in a dive. I did notice the right wing dip at full throttle. Twisting didn't help. Oh well, it only takes slight aileron input to keep her in line. Besides, this plane is way more fun slow and low.

Regarding the HS45's. I never had problems with aileron HS-45's in my 41" edge. I have them set to 35 degrees at 100% travel and 75% expo. They seem fine for now. I'll switch them out for 65MG's later on.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
Flights 15-18

Just flew again this AM.... A little windy but what a GREAT plane. I Can't wait for another no wind day... or night. Gonna have to pony up for the Aurora Light kit soon!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:56 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
I'm on the fence with getting this plane since I've read all these post about issues the wing. Anyone recently purchased one have any issues with the wings? Not 100% sure if the issue has been resolved or it was just a hit or miss when you got the kit. I really would like to get this plane but don't want to have to worry about any issue with the kit. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:18 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
As long as you take a good look at it when it comes and make sure it's all straight before you put it together you shouldn't have any problems.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, NY, Wyoming
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
I have one with the wing issue and would still tell you to buy the plane. It flys great with a small roll at WOT. I'm flying mine stock with the omega 103. 99% of the time you will not notice the wing issue. We just finished our second one and for the most part could not be happier. Jump in and enjoy.
starwarsfan is offline Find More Posts by starwarsfan
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:44 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah I bought mine after folks we seeing issues and ended up giving it a pretty good twist. Have the same minor roll at full throttle but don't even notice it since I'm not at that speed very often. I love mine and can't wait to get out and fly it tomorrow. Haven't flown in a few days been very windy.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:52 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I just might have to pull the trigger for one. I have a 48" EPP Extra I still haven't flown yet and a 71" Slick gasser I'm building. I'm always busy with something. Thanks again!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:56 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
It is a really fun plane to fly. Take the time setting it up and make sure you get as much twist if any out of the wing and then just go for it. Like I said I ordered mine knowing there might be an issue but its just the style plane I wanted in preparation for stepping up to a balsa. Only had flown profiles and micros before. I took my time learning and trying to get it as good as I could and don't regret it at all. Tiny roll at full like I said but who flies a 3d plane at full for any length of time anyway. Hehe.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Nov 2010
20 Posts
Don't hesitate buying this plane! It is a blast to fly.
I have been waiting for this to be released since I saw it at the Toledo show in April of 2012. I am not disappointed. Mine does have a very minor roll to the right at full throttle but I rarely fly it that way. Make sure you check your wing twist and correct it if necessary. I also added one hinge to each aileron and I added ball links to all control linkages to enhance the linkages. Buy it, build it and go have some fun!
rwp033 is offline Find More Posts by rwp033