HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:21 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,049 Posts
How To Use?

I purchased my seventh, this morning. I now put one in every new plane if I will have to maiden it. I also have one in some challenging (for me) models such as fast EDFs.

What are you specifically interested in doing with a Guardian? E.g., what plane, what is your skill level? Access to experienced test pilots? Etc.

There is a wealth of information in the contributors to this forum so I would be very surprised if you cannot get help.

I've set up two other modelers' planes that flew with the Guardian on first flight, so, as another poster said, most of us are over-analyzing this device. I apologize to the poster for not looking up his name/handle before responding, but he posted a Guardian 101 guide that is so close to what I do that it seems tailor made for immediate success.

Once working, you can always fine-tune it, but not needed to fly and enjoy the benefits of stabilization; especially on windy days.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I own 2 Guardians and have yet to understand how to use them.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
I had guardian set up with a dx5 & AR600. it was working but cont. surfaces only moved very small amounts,I didn't think it looked like enough.Just got a dx7 & AR8000 rec. Could not get system to work with new transmitter. Is it ok to bind rec. with guardian connected? I attemted to set up switches and lost control of ail. rudd. ele. Took guardian out and everything works fine. Downloaded software but when pluged in unit with usb nothing happ. Led does not lite.
bushpilot05 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilot05
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
69 Posts
Anybody know, if there will be guardian(in future) with ppm connection or Spektrum satellite receiver port?
So, less wire need to connect.
Tomf35 is offline Find More Posts by Tomf35
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:53 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomf35 View Post
Anybody know, if there will be guardian(in future) with ppm connection or Spektrum satellite receiver port?
So, less wire need to connect.
I have followed this thread since it started and don't recall any plans or requests for what you described. That said, in a broader sense, I am sure the notion of reducing the overall footprint of the device and wiring is always a goal of the product's continual improvement.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:13 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
How about a firmware update that allows the use of an Ebay serial 4 pin bluetooth module (JY-MCU), and an accompanying Android setup app. This would help greatly for those who install Guardians in scale airframes or in general hard to reach areas (with a USB cable). The board itself can be purchased for under $15 USD. Here's and example of the specs:

Bluetooth protocal : Bluetooth Specification v2.0+EDR
Frequency : 2.4GHz ISM band
Modulation : GFSK(Gaussian Frequency Shift Keying)
Emission power : <=4dBm, Class 2
Sensitivity : <=-84dBm at 0.1% BER
Speed : Asynchronous: 2.1Mbps(Max) / 160 kbps, Synchronous: 1Mbps/1Mbps
Security : Authentication and encryption
Profiles : Bluetooth serial port

CSR chip : Bluetooth v2.0
Wave band : 2.4GHz-2.8GHz, ISM Band
Protocol : Bluetooth V2.0
Power Class : (+6dbm)
Reception sensitivity: -85dBm
Voltage : 3.3 (2.6V-6.0V)
Current : Paring - 35mA, Connected - 8mA
Temperature : -40~ +105 Degrees Celsius
User defined Baud rate : 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400,460800,921600 ,1382400.
Dimension : 26.9mm*13mm*2.2mm
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 08, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:55 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:07 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,517 Posts
Ypeeeeee.... My Radian Pro has come today. Putting it together was a breeze - done it in <30 min. I'm really surprised at the finish quality and overall workpersionship (need to be pc )

My PZ Super Cub is nearly 10 years old, going strong and use it regularly even now to check the air conditions - gusty, lifty, direction of wind, visibility etc. I can foresee Radian Pro wud easily outlive SuperCub ...

I'm now wondering where to place the Guardian. Any light JayY or anyone else care to throw???

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 09, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:05 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,049 Posts
USB and PC

What OS are you running on your PC? I am running Windoz 7 (Pro on PC laptop and Home on MacBook Air under Parallels.)

There are directions on the site that worked perfectly, for me, on both computing systems.

I did make sure that I did NOT have the PC software running until AFTER I had plugged in the USB cable and allowed the driver to be installed. Windoz 7 does seem to install the correct driver.

Feel free to PM me with your environment and I can try and walk you through it.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
The control surfaces only move small amounts when you move the TX sticks or when you leave the TX sticks alone and move the model? If the latter, small amounts are what you want, large movements by the Guardian will likely lead to oscillations. If you need more or less control surface movement, this is under control of the combination of the master gain input, if you've hooked it up to your receiver, and the three gain screws on the top of the Guardian, one each for yaw, roll, and pitch.

The receiver should bind just fine as long as the ESC is connected to the throttle output of the receiver and the bind plug is inserted. It shouldn't matter what else you have connected to the receiver, whether servos, the Guardian, or nothing.

Not sure what to tell you about the USB connection, that doesn't sound right at all. When I connected my Guardian to my PC the first time using a micro USB cable it took about a minute for Windows 7 to find and install the device driver. After I installed and started the Eagle Tree Data Recorder program it found and connected to the Guardian immediately.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:00 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
Ypeeeeee.... My Radian Pro has come today. Putting it together was a breeze - done it in <30 min. I'm reallty surprised at the finish quality and overall workpersionship (need to be pc )

I'm now wondering where to place the Guardian. Any light JayY or anone else care to throw???

Cheers
I only have a standard Radian, not the Pro so I have no idea how much space you have in it. Even with mine I had to dig a bit of foam out of the receiver bay to fit all the gear in. This is where I mounted the V2 Gyro and I moved the receiver up forward of the battery. Hope this helps.

Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Feb 08, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
USB & pc

Using windows vista, i'm afraid I may have a bad guardian. I applied a ticket to eagle tree support to see what they have to say. I see no reason why soft ware wont run. The fact that I have no LED on guardian scares me ! Thanx for your input.
bushpilot05 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilot05
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:17 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
576 Posts
Grantham Kid, A slight off topic question but I'm curious why you need a servo reverser in your Radium glider? It's only got two servo's and just about every TX go do channel reverse either via switches or via a software menu?
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:43 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona44 View Post
Grantham Kid, A slight off topic question but I'm curious why you need a servo reverser in your Radium glider? It's only got two servo's and just about every TX go do channel reverse either via switches or via a software menu?
Because, when I fitted the gyro, the servo went in reverse. When I swapped the reverse switch in the gyro it worked opposite to what it should have. This was the only solution as the radio I use for the glider is basic and not reversible. Clever guy to notice that. :-) It is a 36mhz Radio that has superb range and has had little use. Ideal for a basic glider. I was taking video with the Radian the other day and could barely even see it in the distance. Didn't dare take my eyes off it.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:46 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post

The relocated receiver is mounted with regular Velcro. There is plenty of room for the stock 1300 mAh battery with the receiver there, a larger battery might not fit.
Jay, I use 1800 and 2200 batteries in mine. They fit fine.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:55 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot05 View Post
Using windows vista, i'm afraid I may have a bad guardian. I applied a ticket to eagle tree support to see what they have to say. I see no reason why soft ware wont run. The fact that I have no LED on guardian scares me ! Thanx for your input.
I use Vista and it works perfectly. There was mention some of the micro B usb cables don't have a power supply and won't work. Can you try another cable?
This may account for no LED.