HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:02 PM
Freedom isn't Free
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Oct 2012
946 Posts
I've finally got two new batteries in the 74"Edge. Then repaired electrical system, redid the linkages, added an optical cutoff, set BEC to 6.0v for servos and installed ignition regulator. So the Edge is finally ready to fly. Even added Graphics fm ADC.
So hopefully can fly a 55cc and a 30cc this wkend.
BearBow is offline Find More Posts by BearBow
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:03 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Sunday at this time looks better than Saturday and I think the West Potomac fly in is outdoor. Saturday looks cold.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:05 PM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBow View Post
I've finally got two new batteries in the 74"Edge. Then repaired electrical system, redid the linkages, added an optical cutoff, set BEC to 6.0v for servos and installed ignition regulator. So the Edge is finally ready to fly. Even added Graphics fm ADC.
So hopefully can fly a 55cc and a 30cc this wkend.
Sounds good.
garyav16 is offline Find More Posts by garyav16
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:09 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
946 Posts
For those of you using Fromeco 7.4 Li-ion's, I think I've found a great alternative....I know Gary is already using these, but I tried two 7.4v Li-ion batteries. The neat thing is that they have 3 pigtails. A Deans plug for faster charging or higher transfer of power to rcvr pack, then a balance plug, and a regular JR servo connector...for charging or rcvr pack hook up. It's supposedly from same manufacturer of Fromeco as well.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:24 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
946 Posts
Forgot to say...bought the above batteries from Troy Built Models...also, they have a great piece about connectors and 6.0v vs 7.4v setup's. worth a read, particular about thin trickle of amperage that can make it thru the servo connector setup's. The article is under the battery section on their website.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:34 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,491 Posts
Quote:
Forgot to say...bought the above batteries from Troy Built Models...also, they have a great piece about connectors and 6.0v vs 7.4v setup's. worth a read, particular about thin trickle of amperage that can make it thru the servo connector setup's. The article is under the battery section on their website.
I love these batteries.. I have two 5600s on the Rx on the 35% and 40% and 2800s on the ignitions. Second year on them.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:38 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
For those of you using Fromeco 7.4 Li-ion's, I think I've found a great alternative....I know Gary is already using these, but I tried two 7.4v Li-ion batteries. The neat thing is that they have 3 pigtails. A Deans plug for faster charging or higher transfer of power to rcvr pack, then a balance plug, and a regular JR servo connector...for charging or rcvr pack hook up. It's supposedly from same manufacturer of Fromeco as well.
When you buy them Fromeco Relions from Fromeco, you get option of what other connectors, wires and balance taps you need and they will make those for you. Buying from a third party is most of the time what they have in their stock and sometime comes with extra connectors.

2S Li Ion should be charge at max 1C and ideally at 7.2V instead of 7.4V like LiPos. I know it is fine and most people charge them using LiPo settings but that is not the best way.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:41 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
When you buy them Fromeco Relions from Fromeco, you get option of what other connectors, wires and balance taps you need and they will make those for you. Buying from a third party is most of the time what they have in their stock and sometime comes with extra connectors.

2S Li Ion should be charge at max 1C and ideally at 7.2V instead of 7.4V like LiPos. I know it is fine and most people charge them using LiPo settings but that is not the best way.
I use both.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:09 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post

I haven't read anywhere they aren't to be charged at 7.4? In fact they say to charge, preferably balanced using 1c 7.4 lipo setting. Why would you charge a 7.4 battery to 7.2? They are 7.4 Li-ion's. what am I missing cause this is news to me is all I'm saying.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:19 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,491 Posts
Quote:
I haven't read anywhere they aren't to be charged at 7.4? In fact they say to charge, preferably balanced using 1c 7.4 lipo setting. Why would you charge a 7.4 battery to 7.2? They are 7.4 Li-ion's. what am I missing cause this is news to me is all I'm saying.
Oh oh. The google machine is getting overloaded.

I charge at 7.4.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:01 PM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyav16 View Post

I charge at 7.4.
I charge at 7.41.....
mirored is offline Find More Posts by mirored
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:15 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyav16 View Post

I charge at 7.4.
10-4. 7.4, 24x7.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:39 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
946 Posts
Well, I'm experimenting a bit with Gas components. It was a great learning event to outfit this Edge with components....I'm now more aware of what various things do.
As I was searching products, I came upon Graphtec, whom I'm sure you all know. In any case I ordered a C/F wing tube 30mmx790mmx1mm for my CARF YAK. The aluminum tube weighs 8.7oz. The new carbon tube will weigh between 3.9-4.1 oz. that's a quarter pound off. That's nice. I'll let you know what I think of their work. They also have really nice and light CNC machined tail wheel assemblies with C/F leaf. I got one in red anodize to try out.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:46 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Charging 2S Li Ion at LiPo settings will fully charge Li Ion at 8.4V while good chargers specifically designed for Li Ions will fully charge it at 8.2V.

Here is a good reference when I said it is best to charge it at lower.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery. Choosing a lower voltage threshold, or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime. Since the consumer market promotes maximum runtime, these chargers go for maximum capacity rather than extended service life.

Some lower-cost consumer chargers may use the simplified “charge-and-run” method that charges a lithium-ion battery in one hour or less without going to the Stage 2 saturation charge. “Ready” appears when the battery reaches the voltage threshold at Stage 1. Since the state-of-charge (SoC) at this point is only about 85 percent, the user may complain of short runtime, not knowing that the charger is to blame. Many warranty batteries are being replaced for this reason, and this phenomenon is especially common in the cellular industry.

Avoiding full charge has benefits, and some manufacturers set the charge threshold lower on purpose to prolong battery life.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:57 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
The charger I have has separate settings (program) for charging Li Ion and I always charge using Li Ion setting which finishes charging the battery at 8.2V.

I do not charge them using LiPo settings.