HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
37 Posts
Okay so it arrived today and here are my initial impressions.

The steering is not proportional and it was basically impossible to keep it in a straight line unless already lined up in the corridor I was using it in, the reason for this is that the steering is full lock and because this thing can go quite fast, it just smacked into the wall each time you move the steer joystick.

The throttle trim is basically the same as trimming a servo, so if you press the forward trim button lots the dead zone will actually be going forward.

The throttle seems to have two options, either full throttle or "proportional", full throttle is insanely quick and puts the full power down after about a half second of slow moving, probably so it doesn't just spin out straight away. The "proportional" basically starts really slow and rather quick builds up to the high speed which is determined by pressing R2 and L2, I don't think the throttle is fully proportional though, if you keep the joystick half way it will go slowly, but if you push it any more it just builds up to the set top speed.

The motor is of reasonable size and has some torque, but it does seem to get quite warm, nothing to worry about though.

The steering linkages are appalling and have already snapped on mine, I have taken the car apart and I think I might be able to replace them, but it isn't going to be very easy.

The battery is a LiPo, and claims to be 120mAH.

The control board is 40MHz on the one I received which is blue.

The tyres will not last that long, I have only used it for 10 minutes or so and they are already showing a reasonable amount of wear. This is to be expected as they are only made of foam, but the original car in this topic has rubber tyres so will probably last a lot longer. It does however have a set of rather thick spare tyres which look ridiculous on the car, but will obviously last a lot longer and wear down to a more sensible size.

I am thinking of converting it to 2.4GHz but need to think of a way to make the steering proportional, it is controlled by a motor that has a gear on it and simply turns, which meshes with the piece of plastic connecting the wheels, so somehow need to attach a pot to something.

It seems like a fun car, but I think you need a reasonable area to use it in, unless you set the speed to a lower setting. You also need to be careful about crashing unless I can find a way to replace the linkages, I am hoping to use zip ties but like I say, I don't think it will be easy.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Edit:
Upon further investigation I believe the steering linkage was actually faulty when I received it, I never thought to check it. Only one has broken, and I have been trying to break the other with with hands, but it seems way too flexible to actually snap in the situation. I think zip ties may be much too thick to use as replacements, but I will give it a go when I find some. The plastic appears to be more of a margarine lid kind of thickness and flexibility, so I might also try use that.

Edit:
Managed to make some more steering linkages out of a takeaway container lid, however had a semi-fast crash in the corridor and it obliterated the front end, no way to repair it. I don't think the car is made of very good plastic, and the durability seems awful, also the motor now seems to have burnt out. It was fun while it lasted, but the 1 and a half charges it lasted for certainly wasn't worth the price tag even if it was cheap.
x5252x is offline Find More Posts by x5252x
Last edited by x5252x; Feb 04, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:24 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,528 Posts
I decided to stop with the cheap ones and just bought a used Losi Micro DT for $50. Now I can fix and/or upgrade everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
Okay so it arrived today and here are my initial impressions.

The steering is not proportional and it was basically impossible to keep it in a straight line unless already lined up in the corridor I was using it in, the reason for this is that the steering is full lock and because this thing can go quite fast, it just smacked into the wall each time you move the steer joystick.

The throttle trim is basically the same as trimming a servo, so if you press the forward trim button lots the dead zone will actually be going forward.

The throttle seems to have two options, either full throttle or "proportional", full throttle is insanely quick and puts the full power down after about a half second of slow moving, probably so it doesn't just spin out straight away. The "proportional" basically starts really slow and rather quick builds up to the high speed which is determined by pressing R2 and L2, I don't think the throttle is fully proportional though, if you keep the joystick half way it will go slowly, but if you push it any more it just builds up to the set top speed.

The motor is of reasonable size and has some torque, but it does seem to get quite warm, nothing to worry about though.

The steering linkages are appalling and have already snapped on mine, I have taken the car apart and I think I might be able to replace them, but it isn't going to be very easy.

The battery is a LiPo, and claims to be 120mAH.

The control board is 40MHz on the one I received which is blue.

The tyres will not last that long, I have only used it for 10 minutes or so and they are already showing a reasonable amount of wear. This is to be expected as they are only made of foam, but the original car in this topic has rubber tyres so will probably last a lot longer. It does however have a set of rather thick spare tyres which look ridiculous on the car, but will obviously last a lot longer and wear down to a more sensible size.

I am thinking of converting it to 2.4GHz but need to think of a way to make the steering proportional, it is controlled by a motor that has a gear on it and simply turns, which meshes with the piece of plastic connecting the wheels, so somehow need to attach a pot to something.

It seems like a fun car, but I think you need a reasonable area to use it in, unless you set the speed to a lower setting. You also need to be careful about crashing unless I can find a way to replace the linkages, I am hoping to use zip ties but like I say, I don't think it will be easy.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Edit:
Upon further investigation I believe the steering linkage was actually faulty when I received it, I never thought to check it. Only one has broken, and I have been trying to break the other with with hands, but it seems way too flexible to actually snap in the situation. I think zip ties may be much too thick to use as replacements, but I will give it a go when I find some. The plastic appears to be more of a margarine lid kind of thickness and flexibility, so I might also try use that.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Jun 2010
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I decided to stop with the cheap ones and just bought a used Losi Micro DT for $50. Now I can fix and/or upgrade everything.
Yea I have a Losi Micro DT as well, and they are definitely worth it, but the cheap ones are fun to take apart and mess with To be honest though I prefer the look of buggies and I haven't found a suitable shell for the DT yet, especially one that will fit all the electronics well.
x5252x is offline Find More Posts by x5252x
Last edited by x5252x; Aug 20, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:24 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,528 Posts
OK, I went ahead and ordered a 2019 last night cause I found one for $15 shipped on AliExress. Let's see if it shows up!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,528 Posts
The $15 one never shipped, so I ordered another one for $19.28 and it arrived today. Really nice looking and fast. Much better than the Airhogs. It was great fun until my daughter stepped on it, breaking the front suspension arm. I tried gluing it, with and without kicker, but there's just not enough material there to glue. It's a gonner. Anybody want any of the parts? Almost new tires? and a red body could be shipped cheaply, parts are free of course. I already chucked the controller, but the car is complete.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
where'd u find one that cheap!
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,528 Posts
Right here on RCgroups. I guess it's time to try and install that brushless upgrade. I have the motor and ESC.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
i just contacted with wltoys and they told me steering is not proportional,
sad to know this.

anyone speak Chinese to translate what they mean in this image for each button?

the bottom says designed with more cool. i only know that because i've seen the box
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:08 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2006
561 Posts
Got one coming, couldn't resist, only $18 shipped from the US.

http://www.tmart.com/WLtoys-2019-Rad...d_p169850.html
Sympster is offline Find More Posts by Sympster
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:15 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2006
561 Posts
Ordered on a Thursday, had it on the following Monday. Super fast shipping! Looks good so far. Very fast! Way too quick to navigate around the furniture in the house. It's raining today but will definately try it outside ASAP. Seems like a great deal for the price but will have to see how it holds up. I particularly like the patent infringement warning on the box. The Chinese box....
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:28 AM
Battery Powered==(*)==
Mesquite, Nevada
Joined Jan 2002
450 Posts
Are the tires rubber or foam?
tomcor is offline Find More Posts by tomcor
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:29 AM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2006
561 Posts
Rubber
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:13 PM
2 NECKS ARE BETTER THAN 1
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2012
276 Posts
I got a 2019 in black from T-Mart. It worked for a while then when I was running it it would not move. It was picking up something because I could steer but not move. A red light under the body was blinking, can't remember if it was before. I charged it again, new batt's in tx, same.

Any ideas?

Lard4Hire
Lard4Hire is offline Find More Posts by Lard4Hire
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:40 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2006
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard4Hire View Post
I got a 2019 in black from T-Mart. It worked for a while then when I was running it it would not move. It was picking up something because I could steer but not move. A red light under the body was blinking, can't remember if it was before. I charged it again, new batt's in tx, same.

Any ideas?

Lard4Hire

It's supposed to blink. Try charging it with the transmitter charger.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Can anyone tell me the softest surface these work well on?
Thanks,
John
ridinon0 is offline Find More Posts by ridinon0