Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:41 PM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
I have a er9x/ telemitry display modified 9x and DHT setup as as a JR TX with a DJT/ Flytron TX. I have D8R v2, D6R, and the newer D8R-II RX's.
I have a need to display plane lipo battery voltage with alarm, and also altitude. There is a height restriction at our club field.
No requirement for thermal detection, just altitude.
I suspect you don't need a FrSky hub to do altitude and battery voltage using a D8R-2. Use the inbuilt battery voltage sensor and a How High RT plugged into the rs232 port. I think you can set the FrSky specific ER9x software to give a low Rx battery voltage alarm. Owen Hedger has made up a system that I have been using that does this, and more, without a hub.
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Guys so basically if I want diy to come more cheap I can make this project: http://eava.ee/~tarmogreenb/rcprojekt/Frskynokia.html

But if I want less work and a bit more expensive I go with that module with the lcd, has somebody already shown how to connect that to turnigy 9x?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Guys so basically if I want diy to come more cheap I can make this project: http://eava.ee/~tarmogreenb/rcprojekt/Frskynokia.html

But if I want less work and a bit more expensive I go with that module with the lcd, has somebody already shown how to connect that to turnigy 9x?
What I've used with my 9x and now er9x modified.
I started with the Frsky DJT (JR type) module because it matches the 9x module pinout. Thanks to many great posts and utube videos I saw how to cut or unsolder the stock 9x antenna wire that must come off. I also removed the stock 9x antenna itself since the DJT has it's own.
The I just plugged the DJT in and I was set to go after binding the Frsky RX. Note: you must go into the 2way binding mode the first time to set the unique ID, then bind the RX you have, 1 or 2 way version, remembering to set the DJT to the same mode with the dip switches.
For the readout I first used a Flytron display that just plugs into the back of the DJT module for data and power. At the RX you'll need the proper resistor devider ( that's also been covered with many good posts, or you can buy one)
You will also need to select the divider ratio in the Fkytron menu.
If you do upgrade to a 9x with all the Frsky firmware and hardware mods you'll not need the Flytron display.
You will have to either modify the DHT(see posts) to output the data using the 9x pins, or add a small servo type cable from the 9x that plugs into the back data port on the DJT, also covered in many posts.
My setup uses a JR pcm10 with a DJT module and a Flytron display as one system.
My system other is a 9x that did use a DJT module and Frsky updates until I killed my DJT messing inside it!
I then installed a DHT DIY I had on hand and added the antenna on the case. It actually came out nice but took a lot of time and added more circuitry inside the case. This was a little trouble keeping it from hitting the back of the sticks and jamming them. OK now but took a few relocations.
This still uses the 9x display do the Flytron stays with the JR.
So...
The fastest way to go for An1, An2, and a relative RSSI, is the DJT and Flytron PnP display and go flying. In fact all these parts are pretty much PnP (Pay and Play some call it)
Before shipping and tax, HK 9x $54+HK DJT/RX combo $54+RX resistor divider $4 or make your own+ Flytron Display $40 add a plane and servos, batteries, go fly.
Good luck
showmaster is online now Find More Posts by showmaster
Last edited by showmaster; Aug 08, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VHO View Post
I suspect you don't need a FrSky hub to do altitude and battery voltage using a D8R-2. Use the inbuilt battery voltage sensor and a How High RT plugged into the rs232 port. I think you can set the FrSky specific ER9x software to give a low Rx battery voltage alarm. Owen Hedger has made up a system that I have been using that does this, and more, without a hub.
Thanks for the info. I searched for Owen's posts about his setup but was unable to find details just that he's doing it. Any links you know of would be a big help.
I think Mike has a patch the the er9x that may have solved my request. I'm going to see how that goes first. I'm still interested it reading up on what Owen's doing.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:52 PM
Oporto Portugal
Joined Sep 2007
285 Posts
D8R rs232 input

Hello all,

I want to connect the TX output of a MCU to the D8R RS232 input without use the max3232.

In the manual "Two-way system protocol" from FrSky they show the RS232 input schematic and say that can be modified to accept TTL level, but I open the receiver and could not find any track or components connected to the RS232 pin.

Can some one please give me hints on how to do this.

Thanks and regards.
Manuel
Manuel Silva is offline Find More Posts by Manuel Silva
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Thanks showmaster, but on the flytron lcd, I can read just 2 values (just voltage it seems) from sensors, and rssi right? What about if I want to read more/different data - for example also temperature...
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Aug 09, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Thanks showmaster, but on the flytron lcd, I can read just 2 values (just voltage it seems) from sensors, and rssi right? What about if I want to read more/different data - for example also temperature...
Unfortunately your right about the Flyton display or the current er9x Turnigy TX project. Mike and others are working on displaying the Frsky Hub output on the er9x. Others have also made their own circuits to do this with the Frsky system.
I've been making my own options list and here it is. I'm sure others can add to it.
The current options that I've read about are,
Make your own interface using the An ports as a analog value.
Make your own interface using the Frsky serial protocol.
Purchase a stand alone system with it's own airborne hub and sensors and a clamp on dashboard at the TX end with it's own downlink RX.
Purchase the new DHT-U system and modify your TX, what ever the brand, to use it.
Give the super sharp types here time to come up with some hybrid options that keeps the "clutter" of extra parts down, my first choice.
If cost was not an option ( I think it is these days)
there are so many systems from $50 to $500 that will do it all.
I'm trying to stay in the $100 range and have it work with the er9x display and Frsky modules and RX's and hopefully some alarms so I'm going to wait and see how it goes.
Please post what system you go with if you do, and how it works for you.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:26 PM
Germany, lake of constance
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Silva View Post
Hello all,

I want to connect the TX output of a MCU to the D8R RS232 input without use the max3232.

In the manual "Two-way system protocol" from FrSky they show the RS232 input schematic and say that can be modified to accept TTL level, but I open the receiver and could not find any track or components connected to the RS232 pin.

Can some one please give me hints on how to do this.

Thanks and regards.
Manuel
Hi Manuel

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=750

Best regards
Micha
snoopy_schulz is offline Find More Posts by snoopy_schulz
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:57 PM
Oporto Portugal
Joined Sep 2007
285 Posts
D8R RS232 input

Thanks Micha.

Sou, you just inverted the signal by software and connected it to the Receiver input with a 1K series resistor. It means there is no need of RS232 level signal. Am i right?

Thanks again.
Manuel
Manuel Silva is offline Find More Posts by Manuel Silva
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Silva View Post
Thanks Micha.

Sou, you just inverted the signal by software and connected it to the Receiver input with a 1K series resistor. It means there is no need of RS232 level signal. Am i right?

Thanks again.
Manuel
Hi Manuel

Yes, you are right.

Best regards
Micha
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy_schulz View Post
Hi Manuel

Yes, you are right.

Best regards
Micha
Micropic question Micha.
I have everything needed to program micropic's except a good tutorial on how to think micropic programming. Any good videos, utube, web sites, dvd's one can use to learn from? I only mention it here because so many circuits posted use them and I want to build them. It's my responsibility to learn it, not waste time here asking about it here, but I and others could use a place to start.
Hopefully there's a newbe micropic fourm someone knows about.
I hope this is not too far off topic. How did you learn how to program? Any advice?
Thank you
Showmaster
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Hi Showmaster

I have learned programming due to my job and my engineering degree. I have designed some hardware and software for aircraft applications like APU and turbine engine controls, flight controls for aircrafts like Airbus 320 - 380. Since a few years I'm working on certification stuff for aircraft systems (DO 178/254), lot of paper work. Thus I have no links to learn how to program a mcu. I have some links to german sites, but I think not very helpfull for you.

Best regards
Micha
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy_schulz View Post
Hi Showmaster

I have learned programming due to my job and my engineering degree. I have designed some hardware and software for aircraft applications like APU and turbine engine controls, flight controls for aircrafts like Airbus 320 - 380. Since a few years I'm working on certification stuff for aircraft systems (DO 178/254), lot of paper work. Thus I have no links to learn how to program a mcu. I have some links to german sites, but I think not very helpfull for you.

Best regards
Micha
Thank you Micha.
Very impressive background. Maybe others will read my post and reply.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:24 AM
New in all but 20Y hobbyist
Gratens, little place around Toulouse...
Joined Dec 2007
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
Micropic question Micha.
I have everything needed to program micropic's except a good tutorial on how to think micropic programming. Any good videos, utube, web sites, dvd's one can use to learn from? I only mention it here because so many circuits posted use them and I want to build them. It's my responsibility to learn it, not waste time here asking about it here, but I and others could use a place to start.
Hopefully there's a newbe micropic fourm someone knows about.
I hope this is not too far off topic. How did you learn how to program? Any advice?
Thank you
Showmaster
Try this MCU with some basic code run. This platform is dedicated for the project you have : http://www.arduino.cc/

Don't worry about the pic, this is the learning platform. there are many Arduino based platform alreay used on many projects such like the ardupilot or the multiwiicopter that are very very small and affordable to use.

Internet is full of many projects you can inspire yourself for this goal.

Cheers.
lothar2048 is offline Find More Posts by lothar2048
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:59 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,146 Posts
showmaster,

You wont find anything on what I have made, I havent posted any details anywhere.
I have made a dashboard module for the TX end that currently will work with either a HowHighRT plugged straight into the RX or HHRT and GPS plugged into a hub on the RX.

Sounds like you just need to add a howhighRT to the serial port of the RX and find somebody willing and able to make er9x HowHighRT aware. No need for a hub on the RX end. The howhigh just outputs 16 bit integers representing the altitude from the point at which the HHRT was powered on. Very simple and easy to work with.
Owen Hedger is online now Find More Posts by Owen Hedger