HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2014, 04:10 PM
Isaiah 40:31
United Kingdom, England, Hamble-le-Rice
Joined Sep 2012
808 Posts
Build Log
Bugatti p100 racer - depron

My friend challenged me to design a racer where the only rule is we have the same motor, battery, prop and esc. I decided to build a bugatti p100. Pics and plans to follow soon.....

Motor 2212-6 2200kv
Battery 2200 mah 3s
Esc 40a hobbywing
Prop 6x4s
Clickety is online now Find More Posts by Clickety
Last edited by Clickety; Sep 01, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2014, 04:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
808 Posts
Few pics in build...
Old Aug 31, 2014, 04:41 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,888 Posts
Clickety:

You have a nice start to that one. A very good looking aircraft!

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:34 PM
Chile
Joined Jul 2010
394 Posts
Looks awesome. ..
rajazo is online now Find More Posts by rajazo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV10 bronco
Old Sep 01, 2014, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2012
808 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old Sep 01, 2014, 02:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
808 Posts
Plans... (untested) attached.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 05:30 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,888 Posts
Clickety:

Thank you for the plans sir. They look great!

Regards;

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:13 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Nice work clickety, I love the Bugatti as much for the story behind it, as its unconventional looks. Curious, why the P and not the R. IIRC the P was the militarized Pursuit version never built, the R the Racer that was found on a French farm, allegedly hidden from those that wanted to militarize it, and forgotten for many years.

I built two, one 42" span, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=bugatti+R100

And one micro, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=bugatti+R100

The bigger one flies beautifully, anyone that can handle an aileron plane could easily fly it. The little one was such a handful, I eventually gave up on it. Yours is about half way between the two in size, it will be interesting to see how she flies.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing her fly soon.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Sep 02, 2014, 01:31 AM
Joined Sep 2012
808 Posts
Thanks guys, yes Foamnpacktape I saw your post and devoured it with great interest. I'm a little worried that mine is a tad on the heavy side with the battery pack size but according to the wing loading calculations it has a cubic wind loading of around 15 - which is about the same as the original aircraft.

I am also worried about the yaw stability. But I guess the only way to find out is to throw it into the air and see what happens.

Old Sep 02, 2014, 01:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
808 Posts
Regarding the P and the R versions, I took my information from the Bugatti100p.com website and as a result named 100p. I don't really understand what the differences are can you explain? I know they had envisaged the 110 military version....
Old Sep 02, 2014, 02:05 AM
Joined Sep 2012
808 Posts
Current build status...
Old Sep 02, 2014, 10:14 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickety View Post
Thanks guys, yes Foamnpacktape I saw your post and devoured it with great interest. I'm a little worried that mine is a tad on the heavy side with the battery pack size but according to the wing loading calculations it has a cubic wind loading of around 15 - which is about the same as the original aircraft.

I am also worried about the yaw stability. But I guess the only way to find out is to throw it into the air and see what happens.

I wouldn't sweat that wing loading too much, if I understand the goal here it is to go fast anyway. Yaw stability was fine with mine, even the little squirrelly one, but I hear where you are coming from, a lot of fuselage in front of the CoG.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 10:23 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickety View Post
Regarding the P and the R versions, I took my information from the Bugatti100p.com website and as a result named 100p. I don't really understand what the differences are can you explain? I know they had envisaged the 110 military version....
Not really sure what is up with that, it almost seems like the R and P both refer to the same aircraft, and as you mention the 110 is the pursuit militarized version.

Funny thing is when I did the research, I don't recall coming across the P much, the R seemed almost the only model letter mentioned, now when I do a search the P comes up more often.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 04:18 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,941 Posts
Very nice build Clickety. Is the wing a 6mm Depron flat plate? I'm sure it will have good manners with that method, by my experience is that flat plate wings are generally not very fast. Also how have you don the planking - are they a constant width for the full fuse length in 6mm, or do they taper in and out in width as the fuse gets fatter and thinner?
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Sep 02, 2014, 04:34 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,279 Posts
Very nice model. I've had a hobbyking power system sitting here for over a year and plans that I started but never got to far on with sketchup. From what I've read the military version is just conceptual art done way way after the fact. The French government did give money to further the project but bad timing all around. It's to bad Bugatti never got a chance to see it fly. Hopefully the full size replica will take to the air soon.
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor