SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Discussion
PowerLab 6 Charging

First of all excuse me for being a little stupid about using the PL-6 (noob)
I'm trying to charge these little 3.7v 240mAh batteries with a adapter I bought from Wow hobbies. And I guess I don't know exactly how to go about it.
First time I charged I did not change anything in the pre sets on Generic charge (preset 1) It charged them but to 4.2v 1C(my bad) hope I didn't ruin them. And they charged pretty well, At least I got a cople of minutes from them in a mini-cp copter.
I then changed some of the pre set parameters to 3.7v with a start voltage of 3.5v. It toolkthe batteries back to 3.7v but when finished It said fuel left in cell was 12%. Needless to say the battery did not perform (not charged) I believe the device from Wow puts the 3 cells in series (11.1v indicated) 3 cells
So what am I doing incorrectly.
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Last edited by segdohbird; Oct 20, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:11 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
First of all excuse me for being a little stupid about using the PL-6 (noob)
I'm trying to charge these little 3.7v 240mAh batteries with a adapter I bought from Wow hobbies. And I guess I don't know exactly how to go about it.
First time I charged I did not change anything in the pre sets on Generic charge (preset 1) It charged them but to 4.2v 1C(my bad) hope I didn't ruin them. And they charged pretty well, At least I got a cople of minutes from them in a mini-cp copter.
I then changed some of the pre set parameters to 3.7v with a start voltage of 3.5v. It toolkthe batteries back to 3.7v but when finished It said fuel left in cell was 12%. Needless to say the battery did not perform (not charged) I believe the device from Wow puts the 3 cells in series (11.1v indicated) 3 cells
So what am I doing incorrectly.
Hi:

With any battery chemistry, there is a "nominal voltage" which is what the battery will deliver over about 80% to 90% of it's charge, and then there is the charge voltage, which is always higher than the nominal voltage. The nominal voltage of a Lithium Polymer battery is 3.7v, but the charge voltage is 4.2v.

Set the PL6 back to the default level of 4.2v per cell and give it a go again.

For a 3 cell pack, 3.7v * 3 = 11.1v, but this same 3s LiPo pack should charge to 4.2v * 3 = 12.6v (total pack voltage).

Another thing to consider in terms of the "big picture". Years of experience and development went into the Cellpro line of chargers and the PowerLab series of Battery Workstations is the culmination of all our long years of work. By in large, most people would likely agree that the default settings of the various presets work for most people 9 times out of 10. Something to consider before you start changing preset parameters "out of the gate". Basically, I'd recommend you use the device as is and worry about tweaking parameters only after you've accumulated more knowledge. This forum is a great place to gather knowledge, so I'm glad you checked in before you got too far along. But just think what might have happened if you had increased the charge voltage rather than decrease it. You can't go too far because there are safety limits built in, but most people still would not want to push the envelope on the per cell charge voltage even as far as the PowerLab6 is capable of taking it. In certain instances, overcharge for prolonged periods can result in permanent damage to your batteries.

I provide the above only as a matter to help educate you, not to patronize you. I hope you will accept the information in the light it was intended.

Sincerely,

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is online now Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Last edited by Tim Marks; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:36 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
I provide the above only as a matter to help educate you, not to patronize you. I hope you will accept the information in the light it was intended.

Sincerely,

Tim Marks[/QUOTE]

Advice well taken. Thanks for your time.
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird