HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:48 AM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Welcome to the thread, Manny. Glad you got everything set up to your liking. Thanks for taking the time to dig through the long thread... many new users often don't even take the time to read the first 3 posts, even after twisting their arm in the thread title!

As you can tell from the forum this thread is in, it's focus is aerial video from radio controlled model planes, but you'll find helpful ideas for mounting the camera here. Many of us use sticky-back industrial-grade velcro for mounting. It really sticks tight to the plastic camera case, yet does absolutely no harm to it if you need to peel it off later.
Thanks Tom... no worries, I read instructions on Forums very carefully and well... I run quite a few forums myself so I better follow suit

The thing with the sticky stuff is my OCD kicks in and well, I get all anal about damaging stuff... takes time but maybe one day I will stick something on it LOL. People want 1080p60 or 720p120 but I want a 1/4" Tripod Socket LOL

I just bought two more cams from Chinese Supplier via their direct website http://www.htinter.com/. Paypal Checkout is the same as eletoponline365 so should be cool. I know you have reported as much in the thread

Cheers everyone... if I ever get the guts to fly a model airplane, I will post videos... for now I'll stick to real airplanes.

Cheers!
Manny Gonzalez is offline Find More Posts by Manny Gonzalez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:35 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,315 Posts
I would definitely like to see the color shift or "hunting" go away, and if I could choose I'd definitely go with 720p@60fps over 1080p@30fps. I've got 3 cameras that will shoot either, and RARELY do I use the 1080 option... The 60fps is just so smooth and fluid, and for what I do (youtube mostly) 720p is plenty of resolution.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:15 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
3,976 Posts
Is there a separate Keycam video thread somewhere ?

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Gonzalez View Post
Thanks Tom... no worries, I read instructions on Forums very carefully and well... I run quite a few forums myself so I better follow suit

The thing with the sticky stuff is my OCD kicks in and well, I get all anal about damaging stuff... takes time but maybe one day I will stick something on it LOL. People want 1080p60 or 720p120 but I want a 1/4" Tripod Socket LOL

I just bought two more cams from Chinese Supplier via their direct website http://www.htinter.com/. Paypal Checkout is the same as eletoponline365 so should be cool. I know you have reported as much in the thread

Cheers everyone... if I ever get the guts to fly a model airplane, I will post videos... for now I'll stick to real airplanes.
Cheers!
You might be the first to post here about buying directly from the wholesaler. Let us know what kind of shipping/service you get from them. The eBay sellers have been top notch in that respect.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
Is there a separate Keycam video thread somewhere ?

KM
There is one for all the other small 808 cameras that do not shoot true HD video... see "The mega key fob camera" thread in this forum.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,407 Posts
To Tom Frank and all the other contributors to this thread, I just want to say thanks for all the useful info on the #11, I got one from ebay (eletoponline) about 2 months ago and it has been great so far. I probably would not have thought it was that great without the resource of this thread. Thanks, again
tdab is online now Find More Posts by tdab
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Hi

I have the #11 Jumbo .
It comes with 2-wire USB-MiniUSB charging cable (for the car lighter adapter).

I tested pin connection / correlation :

There is something strange going on with the wiring

the Male USB :

|4 3 2 1|
|=====| <= white plastic

The Male MiniUSB (5-pin):

..| 4 x 3 2 1 |
|-------------| <= the broader side

USB PIN 1 <-> MiniUSB PIN 2
USB PIN 4 <-> MiniUSB PIN 1

it is strange , as usually PIN 1 is VCC and 4 is GND, and the Female socket in the CAM charges from PC USB as expected (i.e pins 1 and 4 carry power).
Its Definitely NOT 1 to 1 and 4 to 4 .
The mystery is explained in the link to external power in post #3. Maybe you can post a picture of the cables that comes with the jumbo, sounds like they are slightly different from the the smaller versions, (except the plug pinouts are the same for external power).

<edit> I found a picture of the new cables. They have modified the car charger cable... with just the car 12V socket and a plug for the 2 wire extension cable to the camera mini-usb. THAT one will have the two adjacent pins powered on the mini-USB end (we refer to them as pins 4 and 5 here, but x and 4 on your post). That is necessary to power the camera and allow it to automatically start a new recording after a recording stops automatically (from either a programmed S/S/C sequence or from the 4GB file system limit. The other fatter round cord should have 4 wires with normal USB pinouts. This should probably be show in the FAQs... probably best place is in the external power link we already have?<edit>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 16, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee404 View Post
Hi guys,

After getting a replacement camera for my faulty one a while back I have found that the lenses now are bonded in a different way. I tried to remove all the glue from the outside the threads, then clamped the square body of the sensor. Got some pliers and went to brake the thread lock bond but the whole lens came out. It looked like the thread of the lens and sensor had bonded together. The thread was a right mess. So now I'll need a new sensor, any idea how much the vendor will charge for one?
Not sure they will sell one separately, but you can ask them. A picture of what you are describing would help. If the CMOS housing is intact, you may not need a whole new sensor, but getting the lens back in and perfectly aligned and in focus may be the issue. You might have to send it back for repair, if they will even do repair work. I don't think anyone has done that, or even asked them about it.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:36 PM
Nederland, Gelderland, Meteren
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
I asked my seller (eletoponline365) for a new lens, they send it to me as a gift, only shipping cost.
I got an email they send me 3 peaces of lens, so i hope they understand me right.
Next week I think I'll receive it.

I think the most sellers like to help you.
KeesvR is offline Find More Posts by KeesvR
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesvR View Post
I asked my seller (eletoponline365) for a new lens, they send it to me as a gift, only shipping cost.
I got an email they send me 3 peaces of lens, so i hope they understand me right.
Next week I think I'll receive it.

I think the most sellers like to help you.
That's excellent! The lens that normally screws in is one piece, and the CMOS lens holder module with ribbon cable is one piece. Don't know what the third piece might be. Maybe they sent you an extra screw in lens or just three of the screw in lenses?

Let us know what the three pieces are.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:26 PM
Nederland, Gelderland, Meteren
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
I'll let you know.
KeesvR is offline Find More Posts by KeesvR
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:40 PM
United Kingdom, Dunstable
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
A picture of what you are describing would help. If the CMOS housing is intact, you may not need a whole new sensor, but getting the lens back in and perfectly aligned and in focus may be the issue. You might have to send it back for repair, if they will even do repair work. I don't think anyone has done that, or even asked them about it.
I'll upload a pic on Monday as the pic is on my work computer.

The thread in the CMOS housing is a bit of a mess, most of it is stuck on the lens thread.

I tried screwing it back on but the picture on the video's is really bad now.
Dee404 is offline Find More Posts by Dee404
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:05 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Tom,
I tried a 50 minute start and stop.
I turned the camera on and started filming.
Then I plugged in the car charger (the fat usb cable which plugs into the little car charger that came with the camera) into an always on car socket.

I drove a while and parked at a flea market for a while. A couple hours total.
I ended up with one 50 minute video. So no start and stop.
Not sure what I did wrong.

Maybe I will try using the skinny charge only cable and starting the filming before plugging in.

I'll report around 5pm.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Tom,
I tried a 50 minute start and stop.
I turned the camera on and started filming.
Then I plugged in the car charger (the fat usb cable which plugs into the little car charger that came with the camera) into an always on car socket.

I drove a while and parked at a flea market for a while. A couple hours total.
I ended up with one 50 minute video. So no start and stop.
Not sure what I did wrong.

Maybe I will try using the skinny charge only cable and starting the filming before plugging in.

I'll report around 5pm.
Yes, you used the wrong cable. You should not need to start a recording before pluggin in the proper cable. The camera only needs +5V nominal to operate with remote power (2 wires), but to restart a recording after a S/S function, the +5 V needs to be on pin 4 rather than pin 1 as on a standard USB plug. The thin two wire cable provides this and should be used with the car charger plug. The fatter round cable has 4 wires (two for power and two for data) and would be used with the PC to transfer files to/from the memory card and to charge the battery.

I guess there are no instructions with the camera that explains what the cables are for?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you used the wrong cable. The camera only needs +5V nominal to operate with remote power (2 wires), and the +5 V need to be on pin 4 rather than pin 1 as on a standard USB plug. The thin two wire cable provides this and should be used with the card charger. The fatter round cables has 4 wires and would be used to transfer files to/from the memory card and to charge the battery.

I guess there are no instructions with the camera that explains what the cables are for?
Yes, but the instructions did not anticipate continuous filming. Nothing in them about that. It does say "when the camera battery is low power, connect the car charger and continue to work" Not sure that that means continuous video though.

Anyway, I'm trying the skinny again, looking to get continuous 50 minute videos until the 8 gb card is full. Will report if and when successful.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Closed Thread