New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2014, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by Bhodi11
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
That's perfect, he wanted Electric . The FW 190 is a nice airframe. It has less diehedral than the P47 and so it is less self leveling & forgiving. I think it may be the best all around Axis beginners warbird
Do you know of a decent looking 60 sized FW-190? I couldn't find any that looked really good.
Bhodi11 is online now Find More Posts by Bhodi11
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2014, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by irocbsa
Joined Mar 2006
165 Posts
This is the only 190 ARF I know of that's smaller than a 70" wingspan:

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...be18861811aa80
irocbsa is offline Find More Posts by irocbsa
Old May 08, 2014, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by Hemikiller
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11 View Post
Do you know of a decent looking 60 sized FW-190? I couldn't find any that looked really good.
The VQ would do the trick, but the stock covering is pretty hideous.

Kyosho had a 50 size '190, but all of their stuff seems to be permanently out of stock.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by cupra4
Joined Oct 2007
20 Posts
Hello,

is it also possible to fly the BF-109 with one 5S lipo with the power 60?

Thank you

best regards
Patrick
cupra4 is offline Find More Posts by cupra4
Old Jul 09, 2014, 08:56 AM
Joined Dec 2013
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocbsa View Post
This is the only 190 ARF I know of that's smaller than a 70" wingspan:

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...be18861811aa80
There is this one as well. Looks nice however the landing gear is beyond hideously out of scale.

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...airplaneid=274
Old Jul 09, 2014, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by V2rider
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupra4 View Post
Hello,

is it also possible to fly the BF-109 with one 5S lipo with the power 60?

Thank you

best regards
Patrick
Looking at ecalc the 470kv P-60 turning a 16x10 apc prop on a 30c 5000ma pack should give you 196.6 oz thrust and a pitch speed of 66mph. Pulling 65 amps and mixed flight run time of 7.8 minutes. Sounds like it would work. Keep it under 12 1/2 lbs and that will give you a 1:1 thrust/weight ratio. I usually shoot for that or better on the calc.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Fish99
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,801 Posts
Good Day Gents,

Little late to the game on this one but finally picked up the 109 after eyeing it up for several months, Thinking about going with the Evo 15 pumped carb gas motor in this one. I prefer gas to glow and love the 20cc gas in my H9 Spitfire.

Anyone try the Evo in this yet? Wondering how it fit, how much cowl cutting it will take and how it balanced? The kit looks awesome though I have only had it out to clean up a couple minor wrinkles. (Waiting on my servos to start the build, going to decide on Gas or E-Power as I go. Really leaning towards gas though.

Sure not many flight vids of this baby on here. Will have to search around on Youtube.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jan 02, 2015, 04:26 PM
Joined Dec 2013
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Good Day Gents,

Little late to the game on this one but finally picked up the 109 after eyeing it up for several months, Thinking about going with the Evo 15 pumped carb gas motor in this one. I prefer gas to glow and love the 20cc gas in my H9 Spitfire.

Anyone try the Evo in this yet? Wondering how it fit, how much cowl cutting it will take and how it balanced? The kit looks awesome though I have only had it out to clean up a couple minor wrinkles. (Waiting on my servos to start the build, going to decide on Gas or E-Power as I go. Really leaning towards gas though.

Sure not many flight vids of this baby on here. Will have to search around on Youtube.

Marlin
I have not owned an EVO personally but there have been a few 20GX at my club and all had bad issues. I was planning to get one myself until I heard the horror stories. I ended up with a DLE20 in my H9 Razorback and it has been trouble free and hauls the Jug around with authority. Still waiting to pull the trigger on the 109, too many projects in the que at the moment.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11 View Post
I have not owned an EVO personally but there have been a few 20GX at my club and all had bad issues.
Are these the new version with the pumped carb or the old non-pumped version? I have a non-pumped 20cc and it's a very nice looking boat anchor. I am hoping Horizon will put a pumped carb on it for me for a decent price but time will tell. The larger Evo engines seem to be pretty decent so I am confident that smaller ones with the new carb will be good too.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 02, 2015, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2013
980 Posts
I am pretty sure the old version.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 10:03 AM
Joined Mar 2006
165 Posts
Bringing this to the top for a quick question. Are the wings halves supposed to be glued together? The instructions don't mention anything about it.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
737 Posts
It's optional. If the assembled length presents a transport issue they can be left separate.
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Mar 04, 2015, 04:48 PM
Joined Mar 2006
165 Posts
Nice, nothing like a direct response from the manufacturer. Thanks Craig.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 08:47 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,801 Posts
I am debating gluing them together but from what I can tell on the ground they will not need it for rigidity or safety, they seem very locked in just sitting there.

On the EVO 20, I have an early version, pressure feed EVO 20 in my Spitfire and while it took me a while to work out a few issues (I think mostly MY doing, not the motors) I have it running pretty good. I do find it runs pretty warm with the suggested mix after break in so am going to run with a little richer mixture this summer. I also had a devil of a time getting the muffler bolts to not continually loosen off during the second or third flight of the day. I think I finally got that fixed after lots of cleaning of the threads and the motor mount holes with brake cleaner to de-grease them and then an application of High Temp thread lock, along with the lock washers, and it seems to be holding ok. Really wish I had waited for the pumped carb though, as I don't like the pressure system.

Since my earlier post, and before the recent replies, I went ahead an actually picked up the EVO 20GX, the newer PUMPED carb version of the plane. (They 15 was out of stock locally and I didn't want to wait on my build.) Ended up having to mod the motor box, just like on the Spitfire 60, to get the supplied wrap around muffler to work. That's ok though, as I learned a LOT on the Spitfire build and it was a relatively easy mod for me this time. Took me a couple hours one night. Looks great now and I am really excited about NOT having to mess around with that pressure line to the vent line, etc. Just more issues around AIR leaks I don't need to worry about. That said, overall, it runs smooth, NEVER stalls, and once I tuned the mixture settings I basically have not had to touch them once. Again, I think most of this was a learning curve for ME on gas motors. I suspect the 20 will be a bit of overkill on this plane, but like the Spitfire I can always use a bit of throttle management. It's not supposed to be an ON-OFF switch I guess! LOL.

Pretty much down to fitting the cowl and canopy while I wait for the retracts to come back into stock. (On order with my LHS.) The STRUTS came back in stock and I have those so the retracts should not be far behind. Overall, I really like this plane so far, it is a GREAT kit.

Sure wishing I had a DX9 or DX18, as I need to go with a Y connector on my flaps now in order to get an optical cut off switch in there along with my physical switch on the ignition. I like the idea of the primary switch being inside the plane body, and just an OPTICAL switch off a radio channel for redundancy and easy motor shut down on landing. Can't run separate FLAP channels though if I do that as I run out of channels on the 8!

Will keep you all posted on the progress, and thanks all for the info.

Marlin
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:55 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,801 Posts
Well for those still on the thread, I am very close to completed the build on this baby. Retracts came in and while they are expensive as heck, they are awesome and easy as pie to install. The struts with working shocks are great.

Have managed to shoe horn in the Evo 20 cc gas motor. The 15 might have been a wiser choice, to be honest, but this one should rock now. Lots of cutting out of the bottom of the cowl to get the muffler and top of the cylinder head in there, as they stick out. Actually cut down the length of the muffler pipes as they were sticking way to far down to get the cowl on and off.

Just have to figure out if there is any way that I can cut up the chin scoop to fit around the muffler can and pipes. Then put on the gear doors and she is ready to fly!

Great build, took it to the Pilot's Choice day at my club today and won the best ARF award! SWEET!

Can't wait to get things finished and maiden this. Also have a couple vids for the build video that I need to edit together and post.

Marlin