Find More Posts by not2fast
Montrose CO
United States, CO, Montrose
Joined Apr 2012
181 Posts
Mini-HowTo
cheap and easy battery bunker

I had a battery moment awhile ago.
I was flying and charging batteries at the same time and on one of my trips into the shop to get another battery I heard a pop and looked over and the battery on the charger went off like a road flare. Luckily I was there at the right time. On my wood workbench in my garage. THAT makes one think.
I designed this inexpensive charging station that should snuff out a battery if one catches fire again. Basically you connect the battery the usual way and set it on the foam table top. If the battery goes off, the foam table top will melt almost instantly and drop the battery down the stove pipe where it will be deflected to the lowest point which is under the plastic down spout full of sand. The foam plug on the end of the down spout will melt covering the battery with sand. I have not had a battery go off since I built this but I tested it with a wad of paper towels and it works. This is only a suggestion on a way that might prevent a structure fire. You can charge your batteries with or without something like this but I prefer to err on the safe side. I don't have any problem leaving a battery on the charger when I'm outside flying now.
The PDF is a drawing of the basic concept. You can scale it up if you feel you need a more sand for larger batteries. Mine are usually 2200 3s and it covers them completely and the steel stove pipe should contain the heat. I'm sure it will smoke you out but it's a cheap and easy DIY project that might very well save your house and those in it.
not2fast is offline Find More Posts by not2fast
to remove ads between posts