Old Jul 05, 2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by TerryM76
Work to Live...Live to Fly
United States, AZ, Apache Junction
Joined Apr 2009
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
My 37" Popwing flies and lands great. The only problem is I only get to fly once per five tries at a launch. If there is anyone who can actually successfully launch theirs even 3 out of 5 tries can you please articulate exactly how you do it. You must have discovered some subtle difference in your launch that make a difference. Can you share the exact knowledge that makes a difference between a good and bad launch. I've tried full throttle, mid throttle and low throttle. I give it a back hand swing with my right hand and control the throttle with the left. Almost every time I launch it goes up, flips over and makes me try to fly inverted at 3' off the ground. I had similar problems launching the Stryker until I gave her almost full throttle at the launch. This doesn't work with the Popwing. I read the thread and have not heard anything that portrays the secret. The smaller wings are much easier to launch for some reason.
Hope you have discovered a launch technique that is working for you.

I just built up another Popwing using the stock motor setup. I opened the battery bay to accept 1500 mah Zippy batts and used Gorrlla clear repair tape to reinforce the nose and leading edges. I have been flying from an area with many slopes and hills and have been able to launch with no throttle and using an overhead throw with fingers placed on either side of motor mount. The Popwing will glide a distance before I get on the throttle and climb away. It will easily cruise around at less than half-throttle. When I get back to my usual flying field I will have to return back to my Frizbee style launch at half-throttle......works for me.

I have a 3rd Popwing ready to be built but have not decided on the power system to use.
TerryM76 is online now Find More Posts by TerryM76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2015, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by crave
KnowWhatIMean
Joined Jul 2013
1,466 Posts
Looking for some hand drawing ideas to do for the bottom part of the 600mm new mini popwing.

I have checkers. on the bottom of both wingsv of my old one?

I know Permanent markers do well. I do not want stickers as eventually they will fall off,

Back in the days I used to be able to draw a lil, today ha ha ha.

I guess the easiest things to do are arrows, words and checkers.

1. what paints can I use. and I will most likely get to Hobby lobby, Michaels and pick up sketches as my last resort.

Would laminant be worth doing first then drawing on that, never laminated, can not be hard, right.

thanks in advance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334433
crave is offline Find More Posts by crave
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by Turbo_Manxer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2012
12 Posts
I have my Popwing 900 running the D2826-6 2200Kv motor and 6x4 TGS prop on a 3s 1350 or 2200 battery and get about 4 to 5 minutes. I add weight when running the smaller battery.

Seems to go about 60 mph ish.....

I am thinking of getting a 4s battery to try and get another 20+ mph out of it. HK says this motor is only good for 2-3S. Anyone run it on 4s with success?

With 4s, should I change the prop to something different?
Turbo_Manxer is offline Find More Posts by Turbo_Manxer
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by rocketscience
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,545 Posts
If you try it on 4s you'd probably have to go down in prop size. I run 4s with the funfighter motor and 6x4 or 6x4.5 prop from one of my quads. It's not blazing fast but it's decent.
rocketscience is online now Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Today, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2013
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Manxer View Post
I have my Popwing 900 running the D2826-6 2200Kv motor and 6x4 TGS prop on a 3s 1350 or 2200 battery and get about 4 to 5 minutes. I add weight when running the smaller battery.

Seems to go about 60 mph ish.....

I am thinking of getting a 4s battery to try and get another 20+ mph out of it. HK says this motor is only good for 2-3S. Anyone run it on 4s with success?

With 4s, should I change the prop to something different?
I've run that motor on 4S and it was fine but I think I was using a 4.5x4.5. Certainly no bigger than 5x5. Always worth running it on the bench and seeing whether it heats up. There's so much variation in the units that some will be fine and some will blow. Not sure you'll get much extra speed with the 900/Teksumo though - I think it might have a bit of a roadblock around 60mph because of the high drag surface. It is possible to get it past that (at least it is with the 600/Bonsai) but it takes a load more power.
CelloGuy is online now Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Old Today, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by Turbo_Manxer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2012
12 Posts
Maybe I should get a minipop to go faster?
Turbo_Manxer is offline Find More Posts by Turbo_Manxer
Old Today, 03:42 AM
Find More Posts by crave
KnowWhatIMean
Joined Jul 2013
1,466 Posts
I have a stock set up from the sport popwing. and transferred o the Popwing I have the Mini popwing stock set up.

I find the Mini is Fast, for me, if it had 10-15 more mph I be happy. I wonder if the Bonsai's set up is faster than the Mini?

I find the popwing is Slower. Mine is still being trimmed the mini is so easy to get right, not the pop. lol.
crave is offline Find More Posts by crave