Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2014, 01:54 AM
XLRC in Petaluma Ca.
Joined Aug 2013
219 Posts
Discussion
Electric stick & tissue free flight

Crash and repair
Stick & Tissue Electric Free Flight Piper Super Cub (4 min 42 sec)
FalconFPV is offline Find More Posts by FalconFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2014, 02:10 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,313 Posts
OUCH! But at least I could hear a little laughing in your voice....

A few things.

First off did you check the balance and do some test gliding?

Second, a 335mah 2S pack on a 6 volt motor is likely FAR more power and weight than you want in this size of model. I'd suggest checking the motor for weight and consider cutting back to a single Lipo cell all at the same time. A 6v motor will run fine on the roughly 3.8 volts from a charged Lipo. It'll just do so at a reduced power that will match this model's weight more closely for casual free flight flying. And from the size of the motor it's likely that you could get away with a smaller motor. A model of this size should be able to fly with one of the 160 or 180 size Mabuchi motors with the right prop and windings to suit a single Lipo cell.

On the Lipo cell remember that you don't want to run the cell down. And I don't see any timer in the circuit. You're going to end up with much too long a motor run and you're going to ruin the cells in short order by running them down if you don't use a timer. It would be better to shift to something like a couple or three small NiMh cells if you want to run without a timer. And then to control the run time control the charge duration.

For models of this size ANY wind is too much wind when you're struggling with trying to trim the model. Wait for those dead calm conditions for further flying. Even if it means you need to get up with the chickens at the crack of dawn.

When setting the balance point play with the location in conjunction with the stabilizer setting to work the balance back until the model has what seems like a long and lazy recovery from any small stalls. It sounds odd but for free flight models to react to the power portion in a kindly manner we want SOME but not too much pitch stability. And working the balance point back and re-trimming the stabilizer in compensation to restore the glide is how this is done.

And finally, all the best on the next test flights.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 06, 2014, 05:10 PM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
791 Posts
It's difficult to post videos of our failures but that's how we get advice. I'm no expert but I did enjoy the video and BMatthews post. Thanks for sharing
dcloin is offline Find More Posts by dcloin
Old Aug 06, 2014, 05:32 PM
XLRC in Petaluma Ca.
Joined Aug 2013
219 Posts
Thank you for your info, I appreciate the shared knolage. I was mostly just having some fun.
The test glide was good but that wind on the first flight got me, the strait up angle got me on the sec.
FalconFPV is offline Find More Posts by FalconFPV
Old Aug 08, 2014, 10:49 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,525 Posts
That looks like a well-built airplane but I'd say the power system is WAY too heavy for successful flight. Still, interesting (if inefficient) power transfer setup and I enjoyed the video! Since you spent so much time and effort to build a nice model, you might consider seeking out an electric setup with smaller motor, battery and a timer that is proven to work on a model this size. Something like this: http://www.samsmodels.com/acatalog/S..._Electric.html

Of course perhaps the best bang for your buck would be good old rubber power! I understand you wanting to stay electric though. Years ago I had a similar project with a lump of an electric motor up front, with similar results.

Maybe you can scavenge the components from a "toy" electric free fight airplane of the appropriate size? Or even the components from a toy electric r/c airplane, set up as throttle only, sans servos/actuators etc.
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old Aug 08, 2014, 10:54 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,525 Posts
Not sure if this provides any good info, but here is my electric r/c conversion of a 16" biplane, using the components from a parkzone Vapor. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1884042

Don't let our "advice" discourage you. It's all about having fun after all!
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:37 AM
GO HARD OR GO HOME!
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jun 2007
174 Posts
Hi guys,
Just come across this thread, probably the best way to power any electric model these day is with brushless and a throttle control with inbuilt timer.

With the numerous amount of brushless motors and ESC's in all sizes, any size Free Flight model large or small can be built and flown with fully adjustable throttle control and with a timer cut off to keep your Lipo safe from over discharge. And because of the short run time of each flight, several flights can be made from a single charge!!

I built a smallish vintage cabin model, 28" span with a small brushless outrunner on a 2S 340mah Lipo (will get some pics up later if you want) using the Hubin timer system and it flies great.

Here is some info on the Hubin systems, this is about 2-3 years old so prices may have changed, best to email him for the latest listing.

MT
mickey t is offline Find More Posts by mickey t