HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:32 AM
United Kingdom, England, Stafford
Joined Oct 2013
347 Posts
Build Log
NAZA to MinimOSD to Taranis

I've been working on a telemetry system which links NAZA, MinimOSD and finally, shows all the data on your Taranis.
This is all done through the Smart Port on your X8R/X6R and probably any other RX with a Smart Port (only tested on an X8R and X6R so far).

On the Taranis, it shows:

GPS co-ords
Altitude
Speed
Compass direction (heading)
Distance to home
Distance travelled
Satellite count

Optional (with a current/voltage sensor)
Flight battery voltage
Flight battery current
Flight battery mAh used

Along with this, it's got a cool 'plane tracking' feature which will show the last known GPS co-ordinates of your craft which will make it invaluable if you lose it (even if the battery becomes disconnected).

And, of course, all the above can be logged onto SD card in the Taranis.

It's relatively low cost (About 35 in the UK) and you'll need:
Taranis (obviously)
X6R/X8R (obviously)
MinimOSD
Arduino Pro Mini
Optional - Current sensor (anything that shows data through Mavlink to MinimOSD) for battery stats.
Teensy 3.1 (no, no other one will do)
Basic soldering skills
Knowledge on how to program Arduino and Teensy
Lots of spare time

This uses the NAZA decode library, so there's no need to solder a wire into the GPS puck, but you do need to make a bridge adapter which fits between your PMU and GPS.

I do have a working prototype and I'm now documenting it all for you guys..... please bear with me though, I do have a (sort of) life

Tony

UPDATE (already )
Here's a sample of it running on my Taranis

GAlt = Altitude obtained from the NAZA GPS
RSSI = (obvious)
A1 = RX voltage
Cels = Flight battery voltage (needs tweaking in the software)
CNSP = Total mAh used (needs tweaking in the software)
Curr = Current
SPD = Ground speed
Dist = Distance travelled

There's also the GPS screen, but I'm not showing you that one

I'll also be building the software so you won't have to use the MinimOSD (only Arduino Pro Mini and Teensy needed)
Vortecks is offline Find More Posts by Vortecks
Last edited by Vortecks; Apr 17, 2014 at 09:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:27 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,598 Posts
Nice
will follow the progress
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:28 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Following this for some edumacation on taranis and naza combo........one of these days, will do a diy quad
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:25 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortecks View Post
To my knowledge, it can't be done because the NAZA decode library will only run on ATmega168 and I'm not clever enough to rewrite libraries
The library only uses processor-specific code for reading the F1/F2 outputs to get an attitude estimation. If this is removed (useless for display on the radio anyway) it could be integrated in the Teensy FW for a single board solution without rewriting anything.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:29 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,598 Posts
it aslso deciphers gps, compass info too I use it without the f1 and f2 ports hooked up sometimes as that's the horizon only info on those that gets displayed on screen
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:54 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,444 Posts
Yes but this is just "logic" code that will run on any processor without changes.

This is a follow up from his post on the Taranis thread, I said it would be cool to just have a simple GPS->Teensy->RX solution instead of GPS->arduino->OSD->Teensy->RX.

He was saying the Naza decode library couldn't be integrated in the Teensy for a single board solution "as it only ran on an atmega168 and he didn't know how to rewrite it". I say no need to rewrite, just throw away the processor-specific code that handles F1/F2, and integrate the rest.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:11 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,598 Posts
I've been running it on a 328p for almost a year now and its available too, maybe the 328p can do what the teensy does instead

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014472
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:43 PM
Joined Oct 2013
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
I say no need to rewrite, just throw away the processor-specific code that handles F1/F2, and integrate the rest.
I don't claim to be a genius, I don't claim to be a full-time programmer, I'm doing this as a hobby and this is the way that it works and I wanted to share it with people that might be interested. If you want to get rid of the MinimOSD, it will run without it. If people want to just use the Pro Mini and the MinimOSD, it'll work.
Maybe one day, I'll manage to rewrite things and have a "single board solution" but until then, this is something that (to my knowledge) no-one has achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irun4fundotca View Post
I've been running it on a 328p for almost a year now and its available too, maybe the 328p can do what the teensy does instead

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014472
I did a version which needed the wire soldering to the GPS puck and then (when the NAZA decode library became available) I converted it to the bridge wire.

The 328p simply isn't powerful enough to do the conversion between NAZA and SPort - If it was, it'd be a whole lot easier. It was either use a Teensy, or an Arduino DUE...... it doesn't bear thinking about
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:56 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,598 Posts
yah the teensy is just a tad smaller
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:45 AM
Joined Oct 2013
347 Posts
1st test done

Here ya go Guys..... the first flight was successful.
I've got to sort out the altitude freezing, the current and voltage are a bit out too.
Then, I've got all the documentation and drawings to do, so please bear with me.

Full telemetry from NAZA to FrSky X8R or X6R to Taranis (13 min 50 sec)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:20 AM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Feb 2012
265 Posts
How did you get your telemetry overlaid on your flight video there? I assume you recorded that on a GoPro? How do you do overlays into a GoPro?
xtrmtrk is offline Find More Posts by xtrmtrk
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:07 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,444 Posts
That looks like a program that superimposes data from the log files after the flight on the PC.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:59 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Feb 2012
265 Posts
That would be interesting too!

Someday, I want to build a ground-based OSD. It's always seemed that you could get better distance, reception, and resolution if you just sent data to the ground and did the video overlay there.

So I'm collecting ideas and pointers and examples for future reference. Plus it's pretty cool.
xtrmtrk is offline Find More Posts by xtrmtrk
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:42 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,444 Posts
The common problem with that approach is that the video feed gets distorted by transmission, interferences etc, and OSDs usually lose video lock quite quickly, which means info becomes unavailable when you need it most (when video starts getting bad).
That's why you don't see any that method used in common gear.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 04:09 PM
Joined Oct 2013
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post
How did you get your telemetry overlaid on your flight video there? I assume you recorded that on a GoPro? How do you do overlays into a GoPro?
Correct, the video is recorded on the GoPro.
The data is logged on the Taranis and then I use Race Render to overlay it. I must warn you, Race Render aint easy to use!