Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
840 Posts
Discussion
Types of pattern competition noob question dump

Hey, now that I've started looking at videos to try to learn more about pattern flying, I'm getting curious about different types (since I just posted those videos in my other thread of what I think is "IMAC" pattern; I did find the IMAC site and poked around there a bit.) Have some noob questions if anyone can help with some short answers.

Is the type of RC pattern done by the precision-style non-scale RC planes (the pointy ones that are generally longer than span with highly-tapered wings) generally referred to as "AMA pattern"?

It looks like IMAC is model pattern but you have to use a scale plane like an Edge, Extra, or Slick.

Is FAI pattern more like AMA pattern or IMAC? Or something completely different or overlap? FAI is full-scale yes? Is it also RC?

I've heard the term "turn-around" pattern. I understand that to me the moves are connected and certain moves change direction from upwind to downwind or v.v. Is AMA pattern now turn-around where as old AMA classic pattern from the 70s non-turn-around?

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Some short answers follow below, hope this is helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
Is the type of RC pattern done by the precision-style non-scale RC planes (the pointy ones that are generally longer than span with highly-tapered wings) generally referred to as "AMA pattern"? Yes

It looks like IMAC is model pattern but you have to use a scale plane like an Edge, Extra, or Slick. Yes

Is FAI pattern more like AMA pattern or IMAC? AMA
Or something completely different or overlap? FAI is full-scale yes? No
Is it also RC? Yes

I've heard the term "turn-around" pattern. I understand that to me the moves are connected and certain moves change direction from upwind to downwind or v.v. Is AMA pattern now turn-around where as old AMA classic pattern from the 70s non-turn-around? AMA pattern, FAI F3A & IMAC competition are all "turn around."

-l2t
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:54 PM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
Hey, now that I've started looking at videos to try to learn more about pattern flying, I'm getting curious about different types (since I just posted those videos in my other thread of what I think is "IMAC" pattern; I did find the IMAC site and poked around there a bit.) Have some noob questions if anyone can help with some short answers.

Is the type of RC pattern done by the precision-style non-scale RC planes (the pointy ones that are generally longer than span with highly-tapered wings) generally referred to as "AMA pattern"?

It looks like IMAC is model pattern but you have to use a scale plane like an Edge, Extra, or Slick.

Is FAI pattern more like AMA pattern or IMAC? Or something completely different or overlap? FAI is full-scale yes? Is it also RC?

I've heard the term "turn-around" pattern. I understand that to me the moves are connected and certain moves change direction from upwind to downwind or v.v. Is AMA pattern now turn-around where as old AMA classic pattern from the 70s non-turn-around?
I'll give it a stab - You got your AMA Pattern and you got your IMAC. AMA uses the pointy, fish-shaped planes and IMAC is for scale models.

Way back in the dark mists of time, AMA Pattern didn't do turnarounds. Now they do except for Classic Pattern which still doesn't do turnarounds.

FAI is the main worldwide aviation association which sanctions records and competitions of every kind of aviation activity. They are based in France and have a very spiffy web site. The FAI designation for (non-scale) model aerobatics is "F3A".

In AMA pattern there are 5 classes:

Sportsman
Intermediate
Advanced
Masters
FAI

The FAI class uses rules and schedules defined by FAI for the F3A event.

The NSRCA is a the US-based special interest group for AMA Radio Controlled Aerobatics (Pattern) competition. The NSRCA is made up of Pattern enthusiasts who through their coordinated activities serve the needs of the AMA pattern competition community in the US.

IMAC is the special interest group for AMA Scale Aerobatics. The FAI designation for scale model aerobatics is F3M but is almost unheard-of in this country.
HouseOf4Doors is online now Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Last edited by HouseOf4Doors; Jul 18, 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Less burdensome
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
840 Posts
Thanks for all the intro info. My goal is right now is to have fun being a better pilot so I'm sure practicing with AMA or IMAC pattern moves will help.

But now I'm in a quandary for my next plane. I have 3DHS 48" Edge as my first good plane plus a bunch of foamies. I was thinking my next plane might be an AMA style pattern plane like a Vanquish MkII but 57" Extra might be a choice if I had more interest in IMAC.

One thing that scares me about ever getting into competition is I don't really want to get into $2K airplanes right now. Even a 48-57" plane costs $500-1000 to set up.

I kinda wish they had some limits on the lower level classes. Like <60" or something. It would be nice if there were a class for people that didn't want to dump tons of money on gear. I believe there was a .61CU limit on Sportsman in the classic pattern rules. There ought be something like that in the modern classes.

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:18 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
532 Posts
There are many smaller planes that can be found in Basic and Sportsman classes. In my Sportsman competition last month there was a 58 inch Katana, and my 62 inch Airoso. Yes, the 2 meter planes fly smoother, but good skills with a smaller plane will do fine.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:52 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
AMA pattern classes can be flown with smaller, less costly models (than full 2m) with greater success and satisfaction than IMAC. The CD at our first pattern contest of the season in NJ annually flies the small Vanquish in FAI class and he is happy with that. 3 years ago I tried IMAC Basic and AMA Pattern. The reality is that the IMAC community favors larger models as they are aspiring to scale aerobatics and "bigger is best." After 2 contests with my 8S 70" EF Extra, I knew that large electrics (up to 2m) would not be competitive or even accepted by most in the IMAC community. The sound of a large gasser is just part of their contest day and the absence of that in my electric was somewhat odd, by comparison. The 62" Osiris I started AMA pattern with was and is competitive in classes above my ability. I still have it. While I like having and flying a 2m pattern ship, it is not necessary to win in the lower classes, and may even make it more difficult to win as they are quite challenging to fly due to their extreme sensitivity to pilot input (not forgiving).

There has been some interest in reviving Classic, non-turnaround, pattern here in the NE this season. The smaller electrics are quite competitive in this contest and can win easily if the pilot can perform the maneuvers. Check out the CPA website for more information http://www.classicpatternassociation.com While this revival may suggest that an older style glow powered model is needed, nothing could be further from the case. From what I have seen, small electrics can win in CPA contests while their owners benefit from great convenience and reliability. You would not need a new airplane to get started in either AMA or CPA pattern. Why not visit a nearby contest this Summer and see for yourself? That's the way most of us got started and the coaching you may receive can help you learn faster. Once you start flying pattern style, you may find that you want a different kind of model, even if it is not big or expensive one.
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Last edited by danamania; Jul 19, 2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:22 AM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
163 Posts
I have flown the 62" Osiris for my 3rd yr.in AMA pattern. I'm flying in the Intermediate class. No way I can finance a competitive 2M plane, the Osiris is already a huge stretch, so I'm sure I'll stay with the Osiris at least a couple more years, maybe through Advanced.

The Osiris gets thrown around by the wind more and it is harder to fly it smoothly ("m guessing) but that will just make me a better pilot when I move up to a full-size plane (I hope...). It flies very well, rest assured.

62 Osiris thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173419
HouseOf4Doors is online now Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:36 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseOf4Doors View Post
I have flown the 62" Osiris for my 3rd yr.in AMA pattern. I'm flying in the Intermediate class. No way I can finance a competitive 2M plane, the Osiris is already a huge stretch, so I'm sure I'll stay with the Osiris at least a couple more years, maybe through Advanced.

The Osiris gets thrown around by the wind more and it is harder to fly it smoothly ("m guessing) but that will just make me a better pilot when I move up to a full-size plane (I hope...). It flies very well, rest assured.

62 Osiris thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173419
Agreed. A 62 " plane can do well in the lower classes. At my last contest, I had several upper class flyers comment on how well my cheap HobbyKing Airoso flew. I can imagine how nice the Osiris flys. I want one. However, my eyes and ears are always open for a deal on a used 2 meter plane.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G