HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:08 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Finished and ready for maiden flight

My son and I are done with the build process of the "Micro Telemaster V2". Electronics are in, throws set and plane balanced. I used a 72mhz receiver I had laying around so I could put him on a buddy cable set up. I do not own a 2.4 system with trainer ports. He is happy with the results but a little apprehensive about flying it. I assured him if he brakes something that we can repair it.

My honest review of this kit may be better suited for another thread or forum as I was a little disappointed with the instruction details and mistakes. Also the fitment of the recommended motor, prop, ESC and battery combo. Many modifications that I myself would not recommend or expect a beginner to have to deal with if not with someone experienced to help out. Do not try to ROG with the recommended prop either, it hits the ground before the tail is up.... Also the prop does not fit the motor well due to the size of the seats on the motor. We also had to add a 1/16" ply layer to the motor mount to get the prop to clear the nose. Had to drill out the motors holes to get the supplied screws to fit. All electronics, minus the servos, had to go in the battery compartment to get the plane to balance out without additional weights...enough said.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Needed mods, or not, your son, and you, did an excellent job on this model. I'm sure that it will fly as good as she looks.

Well done !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:49 PM
Love To Fly Anything!!
United States, NY, Conklin
Joined Mar 2011
92 Posts
I am with Tom, You and your son did a great job and I bet she will fly great! good luck
tomupstateny is offline Find More Posts by tomupstateny
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:03 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Needed mods, or not, your son, and you, did an excellent job on this model. I'm sure that it will fly as good as she looks.

Well done !
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomupstateny View Post
I am with Tom, You and your son did a great job and I bet she will fly great! good luck
Tyler said thanks guys and so do I. When we get some descent weather I am gonna take him out for his maiden / first flight as a pilot....In the meantime I am gonna get him some more stick time on the simulator...
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:24 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Have fun.

When I was Tyler's age, my Dad taught me to fly. That was over a half century ago. I still carry those memories with me.

Tyler will, too.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:51 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,916 Posts
I wish we had a thumbs up to post so instead.....

You guys did a WONDERFUL job of building. It went fairly fast and it looks terrific. I'm sure it will fly better than it looks.

Tyler, It's alright to be nervous about your first flight of your new plane. You will be fine. Do as your dad says and work on the simulator. Even if you crash, you can build a new plane pretty fast.

GOOD LUCK!!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:53 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Jun 2010
102 Posts
That looks great! I'm glad to hear about kids getting into the hobby and not just with an ARF or a styrofoam plane. Plus its a great hobby to get into at that age!
I started with Guillows models in grade school and built a 60" Clancy Lazy Bee when I was in 6th grade (not sure on how old that'd make me). I built and covered it myself, my dad had to help straighten out the fuse
Jessica
78_elky is offline Find More Posts by 78_elky
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:28 AM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Have fun.

When I was Tyler's age, my Dad taught me to fly. That was over a half century ago. I still carry those memories with me.

Tyler will, too.
I was 8 as well when I entered the hobby for the first time. My dad and I learned together from one of his friends. Those were challenging times for father and son, but extremely rewarding and I will never forgot them nor stop cherishing them.

I hope to teach my son someday...he's 4 in March and I've already started him on the R/C cars as well as exposing him to building planes. All he does with his Legos is build R/C planes and helicopters. I love the heritage a hobby like ours can create.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:55 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
The beauty of this is, your teaching your son to use his head and hands to make some thing to be proud of. Most kids have a short attention span these days, "not your's", love to see more dad / son projects like this and I bet he'll fly it too.

We have a now 7 yr. old flying a 50cc 300 in our club and he is really something to watch, lands it too. Could be the future of your young son, I wish him well.

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:28 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
At 69, I can't remember my age when I started modeling--it was a very long time ago. But it wasn't until I was ~13 that I built my first glow powered model. All before that, that flew, did so with rubber or no power.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:31 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
I was 8 as well when I entered the hobby for the first time. My dad and I learned together from one of his friends. Those were challenging times for father and son, but extremely rewarding and I will never forgot them nor stop cherishing them.

I hope to teach my son someday...he's 4 in March and I've already started him on the R/C cars as well as exposing him to building planes. All he does with his Legos is build R/C planes and helicopters. I love the heritage a hobby like ours can create.
@sirzeppu - I am in the process of teaching my father to fly - he has always been into the building aspect of the hobby but has never flown a REAL RC plane before. I bought him a trainer for Christmas to teach him to fly this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
The beauty of this is, your teaching your son to use his head and hands to make some thing to be proud of. Most kids have a short attention span these days, "not your's", love to see more dad / son projects like this and I bet he'll fly it too.

We have a now 7 yr. old flying a 50cc 300 in our club and he is really something to watch, lands it too. Could be the future of your young son, I wish him well.

Leroy
@Leroy - Wow, that's amazing, 7yo! I can only hope that he gets into it. Half the problem with most of the youth today is they grow up with no discipline or any skills to carry them through life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
At 69, I can't remember my age when I started modeling--it was a very long time ago. But it wasn't until I was ~13 that I built my first glow powered model. All before that, that flew, did so with rubber or no power.
@loNslow - My grandfather, God rest his sole, got me my first glow plane kit when I was 12yo. Before that, I too, built rubber or gliders. Some of witch I never even flew but merely displayed for my own enjoyment.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:08 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737 View Post
Thanks Mike. He despised me making him review the plans and reading the instruction manual, said it was boring. <snip!>
Hey, you not only got an eight year old interested in building a model arplane, a wooden model airplane at that, you kept him interested long enough to finish it. Pat yourself on the back - these days that is a major accomplishment. I can't wait to hear about the maiden. Be sure to take pictures (especially of his face when as he watches his creation take to the air and really fly)'
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Its fun building with your son ,mine is ten now and he has been helping me with cutting parts out and sanding them to the lines for my builds . He wants to build his own now but we are in the middle of flight training with a e-flight apprentice so we are waiting till spring break before we scratch build his. Keep up the great fun building joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:03 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,002 Posts
What a great way to spend the day.
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:52 AM
Joined Dec 2012
113 Posts
Nice that's REALY coll I'm building a la stick rc plane
And I'm 11 years old its going good