Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:29 AM
Learning More Every Day...
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
Help!
NEW 1950s Delta Hustler - needs quick engine!!

Hi Guys, I come here with great frustration from my Man Cave & turn to you for much needed advice.
I'm well on my way to completting a scratch-build of a 1950s custom Delta Hustler. The plans and a building-board were given to me by a club member - Tom Scott (you may know the name...) whos father altered the origional plans to compete and won a world record, with this plane, years ago.
I'm excited and honored to be able to build this plane, but recently ran into a big problem. All along I had planed to power this plane with a Jett 35 engine. I figured it was powerful enough and small enough to cause the plane to fly a respectable speeds (? 120mph - rpm > 15,000 with a APC 9X6 prop ?) without being too over-powering.
Then, yesterday, I got to the point, in the build, where I could finally attach the engine to the front of the plane and, to my great dismay, found the muffler won't lower enough to connect to the engine (see the photo).
NOW... I'm stuck!! I have several other like engines, but none are of the speed or reputation and power of the Jett engine. What do I do now? I've looked all over the internet for a powersystem (nitro / two stroke) that will provide the "ZIPP" I think this plane deserves. I do have a Webra 56, but that's too big!!
Can you guys suggest a currently sold / available two-stroke nitro engine that will fit the bill?
m.kennedy is offline Find More Posts by m.kennedy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2004
174 Posts
You haven't started finishing it yet. You seem to really like the Jett engine. Why not lay the engine over so the muffler misses the wing. Would require a new 1/4" ply mounting plate and cutting out the old one. A plastic mount on the verticle firewall might end up being easiest. Or possibly going with a rear exhaust engine and a fuse top header and tuned pipe.
Rudy F is offline Find More Posts by Rudy F
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
If you can't find a proper engine, there are two possibilities I see that may work.

First, if the lower part of the engine exhaust clears the balsa hatch, look for a long 90 degree header pipe that a tuned pipe can be mounted to. If you can find the right components, it may even look cool.

Second, cut enough balsa out so that the muffler "nests" into the wing and install false ribs and other structure to retain structural integrity, even resorting to lite ply instead of balsa where needed including beefing up the spar(s). I would clear enough material out so that the muffler does not touch the airframe and even have a heat protective shield to protect the airframe.

Interesting problem...good luck!

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:15 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.kennedy View Post
Hi Guys, I come here with great frustration from my Man Cave & turn to you for much needed advice.
I'm well on my way to completting a scratch-build of a 1950s custom Delta Hustler. The plans and a building-board were given to me by a club member - Tom Scott (you may know the name...) whos father altered the origional plans to compete and won a world record, with this plane, years ago.
I'm excited and honored to be able to build this plane, but recently ran into a big problem. All along I had planed to power this plane with a Jett 35 engine. I figured it was powerful enough and small enough to cause the plane to fly a respectable speeds (? 120mph - rpm > 15,000 with a APC 9X6 prop ?) without being too over-powering.
Then, yesterday, I got to the point, in the build, where I could finally attach the engine to the front of the plane and, to my great dismay, found the muffler won't lower enough to connect to the engine (see the photo).
NOW... I'm stuck!! I have several other like engines, but none are of the speed or reputation and power of the Jett engine. What do I do now? I've looked all over the internet for a powersystem (nitro / two stroke) that will provide the "ZIPP" I think this plane deserves. I do have a Webra 56, but that's too big!!
Can you guys suggest a currently sold / available two-stroke nitro engine that will fit the bill?
I know Tom very well and I am 100% positive if you brought it by his shop he would help you get the pipe into the model. I also agree with the previous post. I small "trough" that the pipe nests into would be the best solution. Provided it doesn't hit any spars.

DK
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
435 Posts
any chance you could carefully remove the ply mounting plate, and cut a new one that rotates the engine towards the left so the muffler clears?

Other than that, DK has a really good suggestion -
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
Canada, ON, Oshawa
Joined Mar 2012
19 Posts
Get a backplate mount or an engine mount and rotate the engine clockwise to about 2 oclock so the exh.clears the top of the wing. Phil
rabbid fly is offline Find More Posts by rabbid fly
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:21 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,337 Posts
Or put on a full pipe with a flex coupling, or a Supertiger pipe that swivels up. A thick aluminum shim on the motor mount may help things too. I was just thinking I have the same problem on a couple deltas I am making, but they are foam.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:58 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,418 Posts
A short extension to get the pipe between the ribs and line a trough with 64th ply over a light ply shear web to fix the spar
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:22 PM
Joined Jul 2005
19 Posts
Delta Hustler

Guys, I have one and the engine is a O.S. 46 VF tuned pipe. Rear exhaust. I will post some pictures of it. so you guys can see what i am talking about. It was retired in 2003, i flew the Rev up 10X6 EW i could never find a prop that would even compete with that prop.
wizard2020 is offline Find More Posts by wizard2020