HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
Discussion
Fresh beginner seeking some advice

First of all, hi to everybody.
I found this forum by looking for some beginner information on Google. This seems like a great community!

I never tried flying a heli or plane so I'm a really fresh beginner (or noob, whatever you want to call it ).

I have been very active in the Flight Simulator community. I use MS Flight Simulator X and played hours online. Even did some ATC for the online network so I am quite hooked to the flying hobby.

I have been playing a few simulators on my android phone and bought ClearView. It's a great simulator, not expensive so ideal to get a basic feel for the hobby.
Currently I use my xbox 360 controller as controller which seems to work fine.

Now I want to get my hands on the real thing. I did some research, read through the beginners topic in this forum but most of the information is years old so I'm quite confused what is up to date...

First of all... What is a good entry level heli to fly indoors so I can practice from my sofa? I see heli's going from +/- 10 to 100+ (yes I do live in the UK).

I can imagine it is quite important to get a proper one so you don't get disappointed an drop the hobby.
One of my other passions is astronomy and there it is really important to get proper beginners material. I saw lots of people losing interest of the hobby because of bad or to difficult stuff.

I was thinking on spending +/- 50 for my first one. Is this reasonable or do I have to increase budget?

So what should I get so I will get hooked to flying RC heli's?

My plan is to invest in RealFlight 6 so I can practice much more and use a proper transmitter with it.

I also wanted to ask if a 4 channel heli is a bad decision for beginners? Should I go for a 3 channel that stabilizes easier?
I read somewhere (forget where) that even beginners should never look at 3 channels and go for 4 channels because that's where the real fun is.

I don't mind a challenge. It took me weeks of training to fly properly in MS flight simulator so I don't mind practicing a lot with a new heli. That's part of the fun!

Sorry for the long post but I want to be as much informed as possible before I take on this hobby.

Thanks in advance for the support!
Passero is offline Find More Posts by Passero
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
I was new a few months ago too.

Real Flight 6 is a great start! ( Or 6.5 should be out soon )

If you get real flight, i think you could skip the 3 or 4 channel heli's and go straight to a fixed pitch 6 channel. I'm sure someone else here will point you to a good starter heli. I think another new person here was recommended to start with the blade 120sr. ( I have never seen that heli however )
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
I've only been doing RC copters since February so take this for what it's worth.
The best reason for going with a 4 channel is that all of the good controllers are going to operate the same. A 3 channel controller is just going to interfere with your learning curve.
Now, while the 120SR is a good "step up" and for me strickly and outdoor flyer, there are a lot of little birds (Blade MSR, 9958, V911, all available on the net) that might serve your purposes better. You might even consider a small co-axial if you are just starting to fly the real thing.
LOSTVENTURE is offline Find More Posts by LOSTVENTURE
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Bro your new, not retarted. Theres no need to listen to some fools on this forum telling you to buy 3ch. coaxial helicopters. Fly what style helicopter you want to fly. You could probaly learn to fly any of them in a matter of hours. It depends on how much you like to work on them and how much money you got. Alot of "pilots" like to think there doing something great because they can fly 6ch. helicopters and they feel inpowered by a "noob" being intimidated. Ignore those people, it's just nerd rage. Lol.
08charger3.5 is offline Find More Posts by 08charger3.5
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Hello.

I did a few years on the Vatsim network. CVA-300 was my call.
Mostly Dash 8 Short hops around Ontario.

I love the entire Blade helicopter lineup!
Stay away from 3 channel ! They will mess you up down the road as the rudder
is where the aileron should be on most of them!

CX2 is to big and harder to fly than 120SR stay away from it!

If you want a coaxial for the living room, Blade MCX2 is the way to go!
MCX2 is a top of the line 4 channel and flies very well.
You will still love it in 2 years when your flying 450s

MCX2 for 30 days, Then 120SR, it's a great single rotor fixed pitch trainer!
A little large for flying around indoors but can easily be hovered in the living room,
then taken out side and flown in zero wind conditions!

But get a better transmitter right off the bat.
Toss the MCX2 game controller TX in the garbage can, don't fly with it!

Pick up a DX5e so you can move to a bind and fly 120SR and even a bind and fly MCPX down the road and keep using the 5e on all of them!

A DX6i would be better, but a 5e will do!
When you are ready to buy a 450 size helicopter get a DX6i and a 450X

RealFlight will be the best investment you can make in your quest to fly a model helicopter! The simulator will challenge you every step of the way!

You are going to crash a lot the first year. Better to crash in the simulator
as there is no down time or repair bills!

If you take your time and practice every day on the simulator, Until you can
Take off, Hover tail in, Then orientations, Then begin working on turns.
In say 90 days you should be a good candidate to begin flying a helicopter
like MCPX.

Please read this!
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....81#post3854881

Consider book marking this page as well.
You may enjoy the reading!
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....te#post4233010

I'm imzzaudae on Helifreak, The links above are a sticky for newbies I have worked very hard to create so I could help newcomers
to the hobby just like yourself. All the pictures are of my own helicopters.

If you have any questions or I can help you in any way, please feel free to PM me.
Ron
Imzzaudae is offline Find More Posts by Imzzaudae
Last edited by Imzzaudae; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:12 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
Thanks for the information. Really helpful.

I have been checking out the website of my local shop and I cannot find the mcx2 on it. Well, it is there but it is tagged as discontinued. Is it an older model or can it be that the shop does not want to sell that brand anymore?

Any other good starters that are available on this shop: http://www.modelzone.co.uk/

I will go to the shop in a few hours and say I was adviced to start with the mcx2 and see what they have to offer...

edit: I found another shop close by where I currently work. They seem to have a lot of the models from E-Flite. Not the mcx2 though... I will see what they have to say.
They also have RealFlight 6 in stock so if they can't recommend a proper 4channel beginners model, I might buy RF 6 instead...
Last edited by Passero; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Hello

No matter what they tell you!
Do not buy a 6 channel 450 size collective pitch helicopter!

You do not know how to fly a helicopter!

Pick up a simulator instead of a helicopter!

You may get away with a bind and fly 120SR as a first helicopter
but get at least a DX5e to fly it with!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:05 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
No matter what they tell you!
Do not buy a 6 channel 450 size collective pitch helicopter!

You do not know how to fly a helicopter!

Pick up a simulator instead of a helicopter!
Oh come on man... isn't that what you learned on? It was only 6 years back, we didn't have much other choice - we flew a CX2 for a while and then we fired up a 450, Blade 400, something like that. Sure, these days we have better ways to train, but that doesn't mean the old method is stupid.

OP - there's a million ways to approach this, and knowing yourself is the key to figuring out which way to go. I was able to learn to fly on a simulator and then start flying a 450, and it was no problem - don't make me post the video

If you are capable of learning that way, you can save money by not buying the trainer helicopters, going straight from the simulator to the 450. If you aren't the kind of person who learns well from simulations, then the trainer helicopters, which are easier to fly and less of a safety problem, can get you the practice you need. You need to know yourself though.

I have all the Blade helicopters minus the 450X and 120-SR, but I have flown both of those, the 120 quite a bit - I still can't believe people let me fly their helicopters. Anyway the point is, they really have a good progression for training, with multiple paths you can take, you just have to figure out what kind of learning style appeals to you.

Starting with a Blade mCX, in order of difficulty to fly in calm air, here's how I would rate the Blades...

1. mCX
2. Blade mQX
3. 120-SR
4. mSR
5. mSR-X (slightly hard to fly than the self-stabilizing old skool mSR)
6. mCPX
7. Nano CPX
8. 130-X
9. 450-X
10. 300-X

Skip around as you see fit - it's your money, your time, and your hobby.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:11 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
Thanks for the advice.
I just returned from the shop with a few items

I am really happy with the service at the shop. They absolutely didn't want to sell me the most expensive and biggest heli.
He understood that it is my first and I never flew a heli before.

The didn't have the mcx2 but they did have the 120SR and he told me it would be to big for me and I would better begin with a more stable smaller one that is easier for indoors.

He pointed me to a few models and demoed the Axion RC Excell 200 which he strongly recommended. It's easy to use and it has a proper transmitter. Not a gamepad like controller but a big one so I will get the feel for when I upgrade to a proper transmitter.

I also bought RealFlight 6 to practice more

It won't take long before I will get a DX5e but in the meantime I think I have some basic stuff to start with.

You think I bought some proper stuff? There were no heli's in the shop that could work with the DX5e (except the bigger ones...) otherwise I definitly would have gone for that heli + DX5e instead of RealFlight but in the end, RealFlight is a good investment right?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
The 120-SR is NOT hard to fly. It's a little less durable than the mSR, but it's bigger and that makes it easier. Look at where I put it in the list - I think it's easier to fly than the mSR, slightly harder than the mQX. It does better in the wind outside than the little choppers too. I don't think a 120-SR is a bad way to start, especially if you have a simulator. The Axion is basically in between those in size, but it's the same thing as a 120-SR, except you need a less popular radio, which won't work with anything else (biggest problem with RTF stuff not made by Horizon - you pay for a single-purpose radio).

RealFlight is a great simulator - take the time to tweak your graphics settings though, so you get a good frame rate on your computer - this will make the physics more accurate (and make sure you take it off the default "easy" setting and put it on "realistic"). I learned to fly helicopters on RF 3.5 - now I use Phoenix mostly because I gave my copy of RealFlight to my kid (he doesn't have a radio so that works for him and I have two radios that work with Phoenix).

Take a look at some of my reviews...
http://www.youtube.com/user/jasmine2501
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:32 PM View Post
Imzzaudae
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while Imzzaudae edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:00 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Now, since you forced it - here's the F#$^@ing video...

This is what I was able to do after working on a simulator - that is really my first flight in the real world. It is not risking anyone's life, and it's certainly not worth insulting the intelligence of long-time well-respected members of the community, and making yourself look bad.

Align Trex 450 Maiden - Noob Pilot (8 min 4 sec)

Maybe doing that would have been an issue for you, but read my post with an eye toward understanding what I'm saying instead of refuting what I'm saying, and you may understand why I'm saying it.

I thought you have been flying these things for many years? Am I mixing you up with someone else?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Passero

I offered you, sound advice as to, brand and model helicopter you should begin with, as well as a suitable simulator.

If you are not able to purchase them at your local hobby shop, maybe you should take your business to a hobby shop that can supply you with quality helicopters as well as the replacement parts you will require to service your helicopters in the future! I'm sure you will be able to find such a shop within
a reasonable distance of home.

The guy behind the counter likely does not fly helicopters and will sell you what ever he has on the shelf. Please don't go buying some Chinese knock off peace of junk you cannot get parts for! Go find a 120SR and a DX5e
When you are comfortable with the 120SR in all orientations, you will be ready to begin flying MCPX, The DX5e is not a DX6i but you will be able to learn how to fly MCPX with it as well.

When you can fly the MXPX all day without crashing! I'd consider a 450
but not until.

You are of course free to take or leave my advice as you see fit.
Ron

Yes I am opinionated, years of experience in this hobby has taught me that I must be in order to help new to the hobby guys like yourself, and if people are able to come on here and offer garbage advice!
Like it or not, I'm going to call them on it!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
That little heli you got looks a lot like the walkera cb-100. My brother learned on the 100 and we both still fly it in the living room.
There are probably better choices (and if you ask five people what's the one single best heli for a beginner, you'll get five different answers), but as long as you can get parts for it, it should do the job.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
Yes I am opinionated, years of experience in this hobby has taught me that I must be in order to help new to the hobby guys like yourself, and if people are able to come on here and offer garbage advice!
Like it or not, I'm going to call them on it!
I do the same thing, but I try to be reasonable about it. You can't back up what you're saying, or you would have. I think the OP can see who is being reasonable here and who is going off crazy-like. And, if you don't remember what it was like several years ago when everybody started on a Trex 450 and you didn't have any other choices, then I don't see how you can claim to be an expert, much less the expert. And, you aren't going to earn any points with anyone by insulting me, regardless of how right you think you are.

Argue against my points if you can, but please don't insult me personally. I have done more work to help beginners in this hobby than you can shake a stick at, and I'm sorry if you don't appreciate that, but please don't act like I'm crazy. I'm not, and you know it.

Just to make it easy for you, my points are summarized here:
1. Thousands of us started with a Trex 450 as our first bird, and we didn't kill anybody.
2. Different people learn things in different ways
3. Trainer helicopters cost money and if your goal is to fly a 3D helicopter, those non-3D trainers might be a waste of money depending on point #2.

If you can argue against those points, go ahead, but stop being a dick about it. My advice is far from garbage - it's well thought out, backed by experience, and presented in a clear way. I AM insulted by your post.