HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:16 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
Well look what i got in the mail today I have to give it up to JJMouris,he has brought this thing back to life in fine fashion.....Funny thing is,Castle told me his idea would not keep the esc from getting hot while being plugged in....Ummmmm,THEY WERE WRONG......You got my vote Joe,and big thanks for all the work you did for what i consider a very small fee.This thing took a hard hit from the lipo when i nosed it in on launch.....time to go 5 cell.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:10 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,010 Posts
Motor Section

Hey guys. We finally got some good weather to do the maiden on the "X" today, but I'm having some power issues. We had a good but quick flight as it wasn't generating enough power.

I have a NEU 1112-1Y with the 6.67 gearbox. TP 1800-4S-65C packs, CC125. The prop is a thin 16 x 17.

It seemed very light on the power. After about 2/3 throttle the motor won't go any faster. It is pulling about 60-ish amps and 800 watts.

Trying to decided if we have too much prop for the motor....or not enough motor for the prop. I need to stick with the NEU gearbox as my motor mount is custom for it and not coming out anytime soon.

Thoughts?

What is the right amount of watts to get above average performance (I don't expect a insane plane...just really fast).
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,773 Posts
strange, I think you should see more like 100 amps with 4s. Maybee sometings not right, are the batteries OK ?
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
Hey guys. We finally got some good weather to do the maiden on the "X" today, but I'm having some power issues. We had a good but quick flight as it wasn't generating enough power.

I have a NEU 1112-1Y with the 6.67 gearbox. TP 1800-4S-65C packs, CC125. The prop is a thin 16 x 17.

It seemed very light on the power. After about 2/3 throttle the motor won't go any faster. It is pulling about 60-ish amps and 800 watts.

Trying to decided if we have too much prop for the motor....or not enough motor for the prop. I need to stick with the NEU gearbox as my motor mount is custom for it and not coming out anytime soon.

Thoughts?

What is the right amount of watts to get above average performance (I don't expect a insane plane...just really fast).
Check to see if you're getting 100% throttle and that your pack is fully charged. If you want more go 5s.

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,010 Posts
Brand new packs. I could cycle them a few time but won't make that much difference.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
I think another cell will wake it up a bit !

Since your effective kv is only 525rpm/volt, it is only lightly loaded on 4 cells and that prop.

(By way of comparison, a 16/35/1 with the common 5.2:1 gearbox ratio is 673 rpm/volt and the lunitics here run those on 5 cells and 16x17's. One particular crazy one runs a +5 twisted spinner as well!)

Cheers
Peter

PS: Long shot but just check your esc is seeing 100% tx end point too. Million to one I know but stranger things have happened.
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
So the Hurricane is gone,weather is nice......But the wind is KICKING Got to fly the X today in 17mph winds with gusts up to 26 .....WHAT A BLAST....Well,except the fact that it was the first time i dropped flaps in that kind of wind,the X almost bit the dirt.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,134 Posts
Flying in the 20mph wind is FUN+
Flying 16/35/1 on 5S and twisted spinner in the wind its FUN++
But I never use flaps for landing flying in the wind.
UP WIND=LIFT
DOWN WIND=SPEED
HEAD WIND=FLAPS
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
Not sure what is going on with You-Tube,but the quality and centering of this vid went to on the transfer....thinking i should try Vimeo...The original came out nice.....oh,well....So yea,you can see on my landing approach i almost loss it...Lesson learned.
Post Hurricane flying with the X in HIGH WIND (5 min 53 sec)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:14 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,134 Posts
Took me years to stay calm when some unexpected happen in the air.

Same years amount behind ,when You walking to crashed plane like nothing happened

Thank You for even blurry video.

Yuri +100% rain in the forecast every day.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:19 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,010 Posts
I figured out the issue. My NEU motor had the wires shorten and unfortunately they were covered in some kind of varnish that was preventing solder from working. I thought it was solid but wasn't. I took everything apart and tried to burn the varnish off but didn't work so used a dremel with a wire attachment to abrade it off.

Solder still not perfect but much better. I don't know if it will hold up under heat/load.

Anyone else have a good idea how to get a really good solder with the stuff on the NEU wires?

Quote:

Thoughts?

Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,299 Posts
Quote:
I figured out the issue. My NEU motor had the wires shorten and unfortunately they were covered in some kind of varnish that was preventing solder from working. I thought it was solid but wasn't. I took everything apart and tried to burn the varnish off but didn't work so used a dremel with a wire attachment to abrade it off.

Solder still not perfect but much better. I don't know if it will hold up under heat/load.

Anyone else have a good idea how to get a really good solder with the stuff on the NEU wires?
You can heat the wire ends and then put them in an asprin while they are hot and sometimes you can get the varnish to come off that way. Just don't breath the fumes that comes off from doing that, it is nasty.

Terry
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Dec 2004
750 Posts
I just solder on top of the aspirin, works great.
Reverse motor, put other side of wire on top of aspirin and presto, done!

Just be sure to get the cheap aspirin, for the right acid in them (acetylsalicylic acid).

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:29 PM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
930 Posts
How many of you are running a 100lite in your xplane with lots of power? (16/35/1 + 16x17 on 5s)

Fried my (another... have a pile of them building up now) p125 today doing speed runs I'm guessing it was around the 200amp/3kw+ mark. 200m course so I'm guessing 3-3.5 second runs was a little too much .

Thinking about 100lite or a Jive 150lv..... Jive is big $$$$ but I don't want to lose another airframe.
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
How many of you are running a 100lite in your xplane with lots of power? (16/35/1 + 16x17 on 5s)

Fried my (another... have a pile of them building up now) p125 today doing speed runs I'm guessing it was around the 200amp/3kw+ mark. 200m course so I'm guessing 3-3.5 second runs was a little too much .

Thinking about 100lite or a Jive 150lv..... Jive is big $$$$ but I don't want to lose another airframe.
Hi sykotic,

I have an ICE file from a friend who lives somewhere Cold.
16X17S at Similar Power level as you.

Looks like he runs the throttle for about 2 seconds......on a switch.
I zoomed in to show the highest ESC temp reading near end of his flight.
Looking at couple of his flights: He hit the switch 11 times per flight for 1.5 sec to 2 seconds each time.
He has not had many flights.

ICE 100 ESC
I'm 99% sure it was an ICE lite....I can check if you want.

His initial ICE log note shows:
Motor start power Low (39)
Motor timing: Low (0)
PWM rate: 12

Good luck,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU