Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghee-grose View Post
I think Andy has a story about his RP wing durability as well.
Who, me???
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:51 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Are you gonna tell us how you made your wing attachments fail? And how did you repair them? How would you improve them?
let me 1st say that i am not disappointed with this plane - i am quite happy actually. it's a blast, and the "wrinkles/faults" are not show-stoppers.
i think that there are a LOT of inexperienced pilots buying these (from reading the other threads). they just look so downright cool, and fly so easy. i think the molded foam (not hand built/sanded) is so true-to-form and symmetrical that there's virtually no worry of quircky trim issues (as long as it's still in origianl form).
i am not the only one finding the wing fasteners very lacking - it's in the threads. the small plastic end where the screw goes through the wing, on the bottom of the wing, breaks very easily. also, the wing may pull out of the fuse a bit and cause the top fasterner to 'dig-in' to the wing (visible if you look at it closely). you might say that i'm at fault for this because i haven't landed my plane perfectly every time. but the wing pulling out slightly happened relatively quickly (1st flight slight 180deg cartwheel on a "trim flight"), and the broken fastener was a stall-in. they didn't break from just flying through the air, no doubt. but they are breaking rather easily for a number of folks who complain that they shouldn't break so easily. i fixed the broken 'loop' by glueing a small, drilled and filed piece of plumber's strap iron in place of the hole. the wing still pulls out a bit on any slight impact, but it doesn't break anymore.
some other helpful things are:
pushrods may bind because of routing and/or sticky grease. solutions in thread.
CG in manual is about worthless (seems to be the expectation but new folks may not know).
larger prop may work better (see other thread).
aileron or flap warped from box? easy solution - see other thread.
having trouble getting ailerons/flaps to move correctly? servos may not be plugged into reciever correctly - see other thread.
flap (digital) servos will sing: normal - no worries. may help locate fallen plane in tall grass.
beware of flying in moist, high humidity weather, as the excellent ventillation though the fuse may result in getting vital electronics wet and result in a loss of control.
if i was not-a-beginner pilot looking at this plane, i'd want to know if the wrinkles were major or minor, and what the were specifically. i'd also want to know some more experienced flight characteristics, like...
how do the flight modes (camber/reflex) perform?
how much space do i need to land it?
does it climb fast?
how long does the stock battery last?
how much range does it have?
is the airframe rigid? a lot of flex?
what is the L/D, sink rate?
what happens when battery gets low?
does it tip-stall easily?
is it controllable with flaps/crow?
does it respond well to all control surfaces?
it looks like that's all that is more detail than y'all intended to get to. that's ok. imo, looks like there's room for a good, comprehensive (to date) "owners'" review resembling the good, organized and clearly documented job of your review.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:02 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,400 Posts
All those are good points you made, but like you said, they've already been covered. I doubt very seriously that Gary read ever word of those huge threads to keep up with all the problems that newbies were having with this plane. There was no need to. If he had, he wouldn't have had time to get out and fly this plane and finish the review as it is.

As for the questions you posed about flight performance, I think Gary did address several of those in his article. Could he have said more about how it flies? Sure, but would it ever satisfy everybody? No. He gave the flight performance fair coverage, in my opinion.

Look, we appreciate the fact that you read the review. You've made your points over and over. Thank you. Now go fly your Radian Pro...but hey, watch out for those wing fasteners...I hear they're a little on the weak side.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:07 PM
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghee-grose View Post
Andy was there and saw a massive impact of my RP with the ground. Fuse broke behind the wing and tore one of the aileron horns out. Guess what, zero damage to the wing mounting area. I think Andy has a story about his RP wing durability as well.

You're new to this I see. You won't make many friends the way you are doing. If you want to finish this then do so as a PM. Don't trash up this review.
chill, dude. i am not trying to be confrontational (internet posts, written words often lack a way of relaying emotion/intent).

i am now trashing up your review. if you reread my 1st post with less of an offended eye, maybe it will be clear.

if andy's wing fastener did not break, that's great. but the fact is that mine, and many other RP owners and pilots, have. your review is out there for everyone to see. there are a good many more folks that have flown and 'reviewed' this plane (other thread) that deserve some consideration. considering them/us credible is helpful and wise if a recurring issue appears. many times issues don't appear, or go unrecognized, until later... or until many users/owners have a chance to 'review'.

again. the review was good. just very basic.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
823 Posts
Quote:
Look, we appreciate the fact that you read the review. You've made your points over and over. Thank you. Now go fly your Radian Pro...but hey, watch out for those wing fasteners...I hear they're a little on the weak side.
and i really appreciate the opportunity to read your review. i feel so priveledged....

actually, you guys sound a bit condescending. i tried to bring to light an objectional statement about the wing fasteners, and you bros get defensive.

now you go....
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:17 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
Sent ya a PM. If you want to continue, just reply.
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:20 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
I am still on the fence with the radian pro. I really need to fly one to see what I think. The first radian is great fun but a couple of things with the pro concern me. It's heavier with roughly the same wing area so it's not going to thermal as well or does reflex camber make it thermal as well as the original radian? The higher wing loading also means it's going to fly faster but how much faster is it? Can someone that's flown both comment on those things? I am not scared of the higher speed so much as concerned it would take the kicked back and eat lunch while you fly ability away we had with the first radian.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:26 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,400 Posts
Hance, as far as thermalling goes, yes, the original is lighter, so in theory, it should go up faster. But, I've had great success with both, so I can't say the Pro isn't as good as the original. It does take a different technique to flying it, but it isn't something you can't learn. As for the speed, I wouldn't worry about that with the Pro. It's no hotliner. It will float along about like the original Radian.

Hope that helps!

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:37 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Hance, as far as thermalling goes, yes, the original is lighter, so in theory, it should go up faster. But, I've had great success with both, so I can't say the Pro isn't as good as the original. It does take a different technique to flying it, but it isn't something you can't learn. As for the speed, I wouldn't worry about that with the Pro. It's no hotliner. It will float along about like the original Radian.

Hope that helps!

Andy
Yes that does help thank you. Sounds like my reservations might be miss placed I really need to fly one. I have also though about a cularis just because they are bigger.

As far as hotliners go I am more of a warmliner guy so far. I have a great planes siren with the kontronic power pack, had a multiplex blizzard cranking out 650 watts RIP, also have a couple of the Stevens Aero Adrenaline Rush mini hotliners. A 24 inch wing span with that tiny profile going 70+ mph will scare the beejebers out of you
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:46 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendpilot View Post
the other RP threads have a ton of info in them about real user/owner evaluations that would be helpful for anyone looking at or buying this plane to know. there are tweaks/mods/fixes that should be included in a truly informative review.
I'm afraid I cannot agree there. Complete waste of time and bandwidth IMO.
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:14 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Jumpy,

I just noticed the Google Earth file you posted. I looked at it and went to streetview from the I-10 bridge to check out the slope. I doubt you'd get much slope lift with the trees on each side like that. Find a place with no trees and it would be worth a try.

Andy
Thanks Andy. Will do.
And the review was very well written and organized.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Feb 25, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:46 PM
just go FLY !!
Jasper, TN
Joined May 2004
1,174 Posts
PEACE...LOVE....AND GO FLY A RADIAN ! i gotta say i had a blast sloping with my Dad & Brothers in that vid.

Brian
brn-grose is offline Find More Posts by brn-grose
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:07 AM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,865 Posts
Awesome review and videos..great job guys. Any Groses' going to be flying a radian at SEFF?
Sonofagun is online now Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
GBX
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
337 Posts
OUTSTANDING video !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GBX is offline Find More Posts by GBX
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:48 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,636 Posts
The video was awesome! I really need to find someone to buy my orginal Radian so I can buy the pro.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine