Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:06 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micronut View Post
What if I'm an atheist AND I believe in God?

Oh God, I'm sooo confused and stressed.
If it helps your stress any, God the Father of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is an atheist.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:09 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
From the article....

I'd say Ira's opinion and the study came to the same 'conclusion' that in the end, it causes distress.
And you would be wrong - again.

Quote:
btw CF your distress is showing and your own post supports the article. LOL
Yet more of your incorrect "conclusions" to add to the ever growing list.

I never get distressed when thinking or discussing fairy tales and magical invisible beings. I'm usually amused but sometimes feel sorry for people who choose to live in a fantasy world.

Quote:
I am also pretty sure that Ira's opinion isn't made up. Any more so than your opinion (of his opinion) is made up to support your POV
It is odd that you felt compelled to do that.
There is nothing "odd" at all in pointing out that the article does not come to the conclusions that Ira posted.

I don't doubt Ira's opinion "isn't made up" (your words). He did nothing more than post his "beliefs", which were not based on the article at all.

I am glad those of you who "believe" gain comfort you obviously require. Many of us are quite comfortable without the need for fairy tales.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:14 AM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
I think arbilab said it best.

Organized religion is a killer...literally.
I have my own inner peace and its not something I got from an old fictional book or some guys interpretation of it.

Don't get me wrong...said fictitious book is a good one, but it has caused much more death and misery than any other due to misinterpretation.

It is a guide to better living, not to be taken literally. My God tells me so.
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:28 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
CF, you make valid points, but to assume that a believer is so because they require comfort is a bit unfair.

I consider myself in the middle...I accept NO current belief system except my own. Organized religion is a scam and usually no good for anyone. However, if belief makes a person better themselves and their community, that's a good thing.

Do I believe? Well, that's foggy. I believe that there is more to this universe than we can ever comprehend, possibly even a form of collective intelligence to it all. I also consider myself a scientist, which means that I require evidence.

I also believe that the universe has provided me with that (personal)evidence, tangible or not.

I believe in what I believe in because it is where life and deep thought have led me, not for comfort.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:48 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer View Post

I don't doubt Ira's opinion "isn't made up" (your words). He did nothing more than post his "beliefs", which were not based on the article at all.
(your words) .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer to Ira View Post
Interesting you felt compelled to make things up to support your POV.
"An opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires."

You are going to have to do much better, than just up and declaring me wrong. Unless that is the fairy tale that you need to believe, which is based on nothing more than your opinion.

Quote:
I am glad those of you who "believe" gain comfort you obviously require. Many of us are quite comfortable without the need for fairy tales.
many of you all, needed the Obama fairy tale..... how is that working out for you? It must suck to have no belief in anything at all, and then place so much faith on a 'human' only to be let down. Does it almost feel like a bug in a bug zapper?

You might just be confused at who exactly, has been living in a fantasy world
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:54 AM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
I guess Rastafarian's are content and don't suffer from anxiety
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:04 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Do I believe? Well, that's foggy. I believe that there is more to this universe than we can ever comprehend, possibly even a form of collective intelligence to it all.

I believe in what I believe in because it is where life and deep thought have led me, not for comfort.
Comprehend....

Let us put ourselves in someones shoes say 4000 years ago. Do you think they would have comprehended a physics class? Or even imagined an internal combustion engine? Or a Nuclear power plant?

The potential for these things has always existed long before man discovered how and why they work. Do we really 'believe' that man invented the electric motor? The concept of the electric motor existed on a nana scale long before man 'thinks' that he invented it.

How much more to life, the ocean depths, this world, our solar system, the universe, and beyond.... is there left to discover? The thoughts of being able to comprehend the so called stuff before it is discovered..... is IMO non comprehensive to us just as much of technology was beyond the grasp of man long before it was discovered.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:27 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
You are going to have to do much better, than just up and declaring me wrong. Unless that is the fairy tale that you need to believe, which is based on nothing more than your opinion.
I don't have to do "much better" at all - my post was clear. He posted his opinion, and it wasn't based on the article. Simple as that. Sorry you find it so hard to comprehend that.

If you don't agree, then oh well. That's your problem, not mine.
Quote:
many of you all, needed the Obama fairy tale..... how is that working out for you? It must suck to have no belief in anything at all, and then place so much faith on a 'human' only to be let down. Does it almost feel like a bug in a bug zapper?

You might just be confused at who exactly, has been living in a fantasy world
It must suck to repeatably arrive at incorrect conclusions......and worse, not even realize it.

Too bad, so sad for you.

Faith? In a President? Do YOU do that? If so, I feel for you. I have faith in myself, my wife, children, family and a few close friends. Presidents - not so much - regardless of party.

I've been around a long time and have voted for many (far more (R)'s than (D)'s) - few have performed well. Too often the previous one has left a mess. The last clown left a disaster that will take many years to recover from, regardless of who is President.

If you look back at my posts before the last election, you'll see I said just that. It wouldn't have mattered who won - tough times were inevitable.

I've got servos to install - ya'll have fun now.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Last edited by CoastalFlyer; Aug 07, 2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:32 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Comprehend....

Let us put ourselves in someones shoes say 4000 years ago. Do you think they would have comprehended a physics class? Or even imagined an internal combustion engine? Or a Nuclear power plant?
Well...yes, actually. If I were to go back in time and try to teach them, I believe that they would be able to comprehend it. Could they imagine them on their own? Yes, but very,very unlikely. The human imagination is pretty powerful.

I believe that there are things in this universe that we will never comprehend due to the very nature of our shrouded existence. According to dark matter theories, we can only perceive a small portion of the universe.

Just thinking out loud...I love new ideas.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:43 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
I don't have to do "much better" at all - my post was clear. He posted his opinion, and it wasn't based on the article. Simple as that. Sorry you find it so hard to comprehend that.
So because he posted his opinion, you accused him of making stuff up.

To which, I then accused you of the same..... If that makes me wrong, I guess we'll both be wrong.

Oh and it is NOT my problem If I don't buy into your BS post. Matter of fact it is my opinion that you are just showing up and dropping pot shots at people because you lack enough belief in anything to do anything more than declare them wrong , you are right, got stuff to do wham bam see ya.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:51 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
"Researchers have determined that thinking about God can help relieve anxiety associated with making mistakes. However, the finding only holds for people who believe in a God. "

Well that's AMAZING - truly incredible!

Do you know - thinking about your job can help relieve anxiety associated with making mistakes - but only if you believe in your job!

And thinking about........never mind - I'm sure you catch my drift
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:59 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
ET, I see you over there eyeballin them sheep. Don't go gettin any funny ideas.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:03 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
ET, I see you over there eyeballin them sheep. Don't go gettin any funny ideas.
Already got em - but only for the 'real purty ones'
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:10 AM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
No shockers in this study.

http://www.livescience.com/health/th...line%20Feed%29

To a believer (or at least a Christian one) thoughts of God represent blessed assurance of eternal love, mercy and grace. To an atheist the prospect that there may in fact be a God, and in particular a God of the Bible would mean they were in deep poo, poo.... Unless of they turn to God of course.
Yup no shockers to me either. The participants were writing about religion or some word scramble that was heavy on relgious terms. I would be stressed too. Some of the thoughts going through my head might be.
"People actually believe this?"
"People actually kill each other over this?"
"People find this worthy of worship?"

Real IRA, there are plenty of atheists on this forum. Why don't you ask us what we feel about things instead of projecting what you think we might feel about things?

Here is an example, If the Christian God existed I still wouldn't worship it.
mortato is offline Find More Posts by mortato