HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2006
364 Posts
Ray, always a pleasure to see your pictures! As you have probably guessed, us northerners have pretty much hauled our ships for the impending Winter, so have none like yours to post. The cold just seems to suck out our enthusiasm.

I see that I am gonna have to do some serious sailing practice next spring in order to outrun the full gunnery of them squareriggers.....
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:56 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
Don: The first mate on this end really likes the sail plan you have on your ship. I am not up to building another one right now, but that may have to happen so we both have something to sail next spring. UFFDA

I am hoping that the carronades being rigged on Surprise will make plenty of smoke for the cameras.

Is that a Spanish ensign on the spanker?
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Last edited by Paratrooper; Nov 18, 2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: I just noticed the ensign
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:34 PM
Washington State
Joined Sep 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
Don: The first mate on this end really likes the sail plan you have on your ship. I am not up to building another one right now, but that may have to happen so we both have something to sail next spring. UFFDA

Ray, My S.022 Has not even arrived yet for me to Build and The First on my end is already wanting a Captaincy. We Live under the same Flag, If we dont sail under the Same Flag I could be in harms way.
Skipper AM299 is offline Find More Posts by Skipper AM299
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:40 PM
back woods of Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
but that may have to happen so we both have something to sail next spring.
Uh oh, sounds like a run up to a bigger toy hauler! (maybe self-propelled?)
tsparks is offline Find More Posts by tsparks
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:45 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsparks View Post
Uh oh, sounds like a run up to a bigger toy hauler! (maybe self-propelled?)
TS, the thought crossed my mind and I made myself ill.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:04 AM
Joined Aug 2006
364 Posts
Thanks, Renee, for the positive remarks on my topsail schooner rig - I realize that it is not as technical and difficult to sail, but I have found it pleasurable in its simplicity. The sailplan is something I configured myself with the help of some of my books. It does have similarities to the Prince de Neufchatel but with a much larger fore gaff sail, per the HMS Pictou sailplan in H. Chapelle's The Baltimore Clipper. I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but this author states that there are "many references to this schooner as being American built", and was one of many captured American privateers. The existing drawings were actually done in Portsmouth Yard in 1815 after her capture. The Pictou was the closest example that I could find of a real schooner of that time period having a hull form and size like the SC&H hull.

After Winter chores wind down and we are confined for the season, I am intending to do some further work on her. Need to rat up the shrouds, and also have been pondering the possibility of redesigning the foresails with the crossover sheets like you & Dan have, and adding a third skysail jib, which would involve another servo to run all of these. Also ruminating the addition of functional square topsails, which would necessitate a fourth servo to rotate the yards.

Yup, that is a Spanish flag. When I was ordering this brig, Philip was a bit surprised at my choice of flag to be included - at the time I thought it was more interesting, different and colorful than the standard selections. He did end up including the British flag besides, apparently hinting that it was more appropriate and desirable.......

I don't think you would have to get a bigger camper to transport two ships, especially if the second one was a fore and aft rig. They really aren't very wide, as they don't have all those lengthy yardarms. They might sit side-by-side in the bass baby. So I think you should go ahead with the second ship without reservation!

Renee, have you read these books, pictured below??
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Last edited by beneteau3; Nov 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:32 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,375 Posts
Ray - Gun update on Design Details thread....

Ray - posted some pics and build info on the sqr rigger design details thread.
You might have your guns just after TG if I get the servo soon.
DanL is online now Find More Posts by DanL
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:14 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
I now have 4 threads on the quick find on my computer. I do hope the moderator finally makes a decision to allow for a new thread to incorporate all of these.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 01:49 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
G'day shipmates: Ole und Lena Perductions haf made anudder flim.

Da Epic Adventure.mpg (3 min 40 sec)

Ve are hafing more fun den does guys up nort. Yah sure you betcha.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:04 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,277 Posts
Cool vid.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 23, 2009, 06:33 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,683 Posts
Hey the vid went away. What's up with that? We need more videos of these sailing models. Pete
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Hey the vid went away. What's up with that? We need more videos of these sailing models. Pete
Norgale: It seems to be working fine on this end. It has over 100 visitors so far on You Tube. Just go there and look up paratrooper and all of the videos will come up.
Last edited by Paratrooper; Nov 25, 2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Correct link to You Tube videos
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:30 AM
Sweeper Nut
Joined Apr 2007
624 Posts
Great video paratrooper and outstanding music selection .
Mike McCrea is online now Find More Posts by Mike McCrea
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:17 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Nov 2009
61 Posts
beautiful ship! can anyone or does anyone know where such a model can be purchased???
SeaMan2 is offline Find More Posts by SeaMan2
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:26 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Nov 2009
61 Posts
whoa! I found it... better start savin those Penny's! {=0)
SeaMan2 is offline Find More Posts by SeaMan2