SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
RC Enthusiast
United States, MD, California
Joined Oct 2007
14 Posts
Hey just wanted to make a post here to say that I'm enjoying the progression of the plane and am looking forward to seeing the project get finished. I've been closely following this thread in the shadows for some time now, and all I can say is the time and effort you've put into this is just plain outstanding!
JAllen512 is offline Find More Posts by JAllen512
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:54 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,083 Posts
Well a mile stone has been passed, 900 pages.

I am sure there are other threads as long or longer than this, but none have the scope of what this build has become.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Dag will be back soon.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:08 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,434 Posts
It's only 900 pages if you have your settings at 15 posts per page. I have mine set at 100 ppp, and I'm currently only on page 136.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:57 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,574 Posts
When this baby first takes to the air, it'll be quite an event, won't it? Certainly it'll be worthy of some sort of live webcast.

If this has been discussed already, I missed it. Has it been talked about at all?
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:10 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
When this baby first takes to the air, it'll be quite an event, won't it? Certainly it'll be worthy of some sort of live webcast.

If this has been discussed already, I missed it. Has it been talked about at all?
This has been talked about. If I remember the past discussions, Dag has said, the first couple of flights he wants a limited number of people around to watch. I am sure when Dag gets back from his latest road trip making a living, he will answer again.

Dag has lots of testing when this B-36 gets done. Taxi tests, I am sure he will make sure he has everything good to go, before he thinks about the first flight. I am sure he wants a field that has a long smooth runway so he has lots of room to take off and land. Dag has a couple of fields already in mind I am sure.
Yes it would be neat to see the first flight, I am sure someone will have a video of it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:20 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen512 View Post
Hey just wanted to make a post here to say that I'm enjoying the progression of the plane and am looking forward to seeing the project get finished. I've been closely following this thread in the shadows for some time now, and all I can say is the time and effort you've put into this is just plain outstanding!
Don't you mean... PLANE outstanding? yuk yuk yuk
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:46 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
Steady on, Oscar Wilde, I've only got one set of ribs.......

Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
716 Posts
So anybody with any project for some Goblins?

Quote:
There were plans that, from the 24th B-36 onward, provisions would be made to accommodate one XF-85, with a maximum of four per bomber envisioned. Up to 10 percent of the B-36s on order were to be converted to fighter carriers with three or four F-85s instead of a bomb load.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:39 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post

Yes...somewhere way back, there were some links to a Goblin model...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:

Cool! Looks like it was designed by some stupid schmuck at Disney in the 50s.

Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:

Such a totally cool plane, and as Steve said there is a cool guy here that has a flying one.

Thanks, DAG

Got home at 2 today, back out at 7am tomorrow morning on a plane to meet some cool engineers until Saturday, aircraft cool that is
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,336 Posts
Parasite fighter concepts were still being studied by the Air Force as late as 1980. I ran wind tunnel tests on two different parasite fighter designs at that time. One of them was by Boeing for carriage in the Boeing 747.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
Cool! Looks like it was designed by some stupid schmuck at Disney in the 50s.
Old saying..... Form follows function!! And in this case, it really did...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:20 AM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
252 Posts
At the Stratigic Air and Space Museum between Lincoln and Omaha, they have both a B-36 and a Goblin, one of only 2 made. The B-36 dwarfs the little Goblin. I know I have pics of them somewhere but can't seem to find the disc right now.

When you walk in the door, you are greeted by an SR-71 Blackbird hanging from the ceiling. The place is absolutley amazing.

http://www.strategicairandspace.com

To see all of their aircraft, click on the aircraft link under permanent exhibits.
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Last edited by beerbrewer; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added link to museum
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:53 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Well.......

I am back.

The first part of the week was working in Dallas. Friday I met with a team of ex-aerospace engineers and managers. We talked about what-ifs......

I have to tell you all that I may for the first time in my life actually see a return on some of my designs.

Stay tune..... But if I am really lucky...... And I do mean lucky..... I may be able to take my company to the next level, or just start a second one in the future that will make life much easier.....

But now back to the 36.
I want to thank all of those that say so many cool things about my build, it is actually moving very well now, it has its slow times, but i am seeing each system one by one get finished.

I hope later today to get back to my wiring harnesses. I also hope to get the rest of my jet pod hard points started.

Rock ON!

Oh......

I have to tell you about a cool thing that happened while flying home (and I know this is a derailment, but you should like this). My plane while boarding in Atlanta for Indy had 5-10 soldiers board..... Well we got into Indy about 15 minutes early, as we taxied up the flight attendant asked if since we were early could we all just stay seated while the soldiers de-planed because they need every second they can get to be with their families because many of us take for granted how much we see our families... . I have to tell you not a single person got up, and we all applauded as they walked to the front of the plane. It really hit me deep.....

Dag-man....... OUT
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214