SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:16 PM
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Mar 2005
18 Posts
Foamie beginner

I have been flying some regular wood models for about 3 years, most 3 channel some 4 channel, and I am fascinated by the 3D foam planes.....I found out about these CD-rom DIY motors for these planes. I am looking to start off with a shock flyer...does anyone have any good suggestions to direct me in the right way? or am I going the right direction to get into this part of the hobby? thanks!
whatts05 is offline Find More Posts by whatts05
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:26 PM
Sometimes I break things
Oslo, Norway
Joined May 2004
328 Posts
The aspects of this hobby are not for us to decide is "right or wrong", I'm sure the guys doing 3D flying, loves it as much as I love zooming around with a bn-2 islander...

As to models, I have no idea, just felt I needed to say that there is no right or wrong in this hobby, it's all gooood!

- Steffen
Steffeo is offline Find More Posts by Steffeo
Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:41 PM
Sumpthin WRONG w/that boy
Fargo N. D.
Joined Jan 2005
66 Posts
whatts05
I think your choice is a good one. You might want to look at a EPP 3d planes they hold up better to abuse. Slofly.com kits them they are very reasonably priced and fly great. Also look at the Freeair Blitz & Blade. CD-rom motors are a blast they power these small 3-D planes great. There is a lot of information on RC groups about planes and motors. I am sure others will chime in with their suggestions.
Good Luck,
Steve
Toyguy is offline Find More Posts by Toyguy
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:40 AM
Save a tree fly a foamy
petaluma CA
Joined Apr 2005
343 Posts
Been into rc 15 yrs . Got about 20 planes . Had about 50 . I have had more fun with my E flight Ultimate than i could put into words , man that thing is a blast ! So i say go for it . Im not to impresed with shockies ( never flu 1 ) but the new ones are better i think .? Hobby lobby has thies little Yak 54 s for $ 20 so check it out . ps For patern type flying the GWS formosa is great plane .
S.Davy is offline Find More Posts by S.Davy
Last edited by S.Davy; Apr 30, 2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:32 AM
Designer of Flying Things
Overland Park,Kansas
Joined Apr 2004
480 Posts
Welcome whatts05,
You are headingin the right direction. The Shocky will be fine, but no better than a DIY foamy. I would suggest downloading plans for a 3dx, sorta-tensor, or something, and cut your own out of bluecore foam. It really reduces the pucker factor when you fly a truly disposable plane. You can make a ton of planes out of a pack of bluecore, and it's fun and easy to work with.
Balsa is still an option, and I think it flies better, but I don't fly as low with my balsa junk, just cause it's worth more to me. I have some plans for a 3d profile balsa, I might share.

CD motors are great. The GoBrushless kit with bearings is a good deal.For an extra 7 bucks, the firewall mount makes for an easy installation. I get my ROM's out of a computer swap-and-shop-dumpster.As a matter of fact, I may go dumpster diving today! This choice has nothing to do with my income, I just like the bragging rights of flying a dumpster motor. (Dumpster ROM) If you go with a full on DIY Dumpster ROM, Try for a Toshiba, or Sony with a 24mm stator. They make more torque than the smaller 22.7mm stators. That said have a look at the kamodo motor. It has a big stator, and appears to be a good value.

Happy Landings,
Rich
-=SLaPPiE=- is offline Find More Posts by -=SLaPPiE=-