HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:14 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,768 Posts
It is somewhat sensitive, but it sounds like it's tail heavy. I wouldn't trust the manual's recommended CG as the gospel, but rather a good starting point. From there, play around with it in small increments and decide where you like it best.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:12 PM
Just Plane Fun
Yakima, WA
Joined Feb 2007
71 Posts
Thanks. It does act tail heavy, I'll try moving things a bit.
jwilder1 is offline Find More Posts by jwilder1
Old Oct 25, 2014, 07:42 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,721 Posts
Tine for me to join the ranks of the Cracked Beaver pilots. I saw one in September at an electric flyin at the Madison, WI club. I only saw it fly once and was like WTH is that. Later on I went by the pilots collection to check it out and loved the look and design. I had to get one but I had no money.

I had 2 tricopters for sale at the flyin but nobody wanted them. I did finally sell them and used the money from them to fund my Cracked Beaver. I saw the CTB but didn't know what it was or where to get it. I saw on the FliteTest forums someone post some pics from their visit to the FliteFest in July and there was the CTB in the foreground of one photo. I cropped it out and asked what the plane was and got a response right away. That launched my journey to "the crack." I found it on the Twisted Hobbies site and also found this thread. I finally ordered it and started reading this thread from the beginning.

It arrived a few weeks ago and I got it put together and flying. I'm not much at 3D stuff yet. I built a FT3D from FliteTest this spring and have been loving flying it but I'm not too good at most tricks but love the learning. I finally finished reading EVERY POST in this thread a few days ago and knew it was time to join in here.

Like others that have never flown a plane like this that first flight was wacky. I learned real fast I wasn't as good with the rudder as I thought. I'm a quick learner and got it under control pretty quick. After a few flights and some trim tweaking I got it flying nice....well as nice as I can fly it.

The Crack has me addicted. My other planes are lonely now. All I want to do is get the winds calm enough so I can have me some "crack" I'm not afraid of a little wind so I fly in light winds as well but dang if this thing isn't a blast in calm winds. I have no where to fly indoors that is big enough for my limited skill set on the CTB yet so I will have to do some winter flying.

For my build I pretty much followed the build video (and ran out of the one tube of welders glue I ordered with the plane). I finished the build with some Gorilla Glue and all is well. I did the Velcro mod on the windshield (I actually damaged the piece of foam that was included for the windshield so I found some packing foam around and made a new one. It's all white but still looks good. I tried the plastic windshield and didn't like it so I went with just foam. I didn't cut the hole for the battery and used a Velcro strap and a small strip of Velcro on the bottom. Works fine for me.

I ended up using a Phoenix25 ESC I won at the flyin (a little heavy but high quality). I ordered the 1400kv Blue Wonder and some 2s and 3s batteries from Heads Up hobby. I ordered the standard servos along with the plane. My AUW is just a hair over 9 ounces with a 3S battery.

I tried 2S and it flew nice but I must run too much power when I fly cause it is only a few minutes before it won't pull from a hover. I decided to go with 3S cause it just has the power. The Blue Wonder actually flies pretty good with the 9x4.7 or an 8x6 prop. No warm battery or ESC or Motor. I also have some 8x4.3 for the 3S and it does pretty well with that as well.

This thing makes me smile every time out. I suck at 3D so I haven't shot any video of it flying yet. Maybe someday. I have loved the easy hover in no wind, the KE is just way cool. Today I flew it in some wind and ended up in a Harrier heading right for my car. I just road it out and cut the throttle to land on the hood....sorta. It was pretty cool but not pretty. It is a blast to dive straight down and flare for a soft landing. I haven't figured out rolling harriers and my hover is only occasionally a good one but dang if it isn't just a blast playing.

Be careful with Crack. It is addicting.

Glad to join this thread and have more fun. Does anyone know a good book or site that defines how to do some of the 3D moves. Some of them I am not completely sure of stick movements on and would like to learn.

I named it Theodore because it's a Beaver. Here is Theodore all finished. I did still have the original windshield on here but it was kinda in pieces where I accidentally stepped on it in the build. Doh.

frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Oct 25, 2014, 08:04 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,796 Posts
The Beaver is great fun, I think it takes several flights to really understand this unusual plane, I wasn't thrilled at first, but then went to 3S power and got some more time on it and now its just a blast, I 3D the heck out of it. People don't expect to see it fly that way and they are totally surprised.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 25, 2014, 08:16 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
TI think it takes several flights to really understand this unusual plane, I wasn't thrilled at first, but then went to 3S power and got some more time on it and now its just a blast.
Yea after my first 2 flights that first day I was excited but concerned as it was just wonky in the wind. It was probably a little windy for a maiden on this plane at my experience level. Did a bunch more thread reading after that and went flying more. Now I'm just smiles all the time.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:56 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206 View Post
Yea after my first 2 flights that first day I was excited but concerned as it was just wonky in the wind. It was probably a little windy for a maiden on this plane at my experience level. Did a bunch more thread reading after that and went flying more. Now I'm just smiles all the time.
frogman... welcome to Club Beaver.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:51 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,705 Posts
once you go 3 cell it opens up a lot more fun.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:57 AM
3D plane, heli, quad, FPV noob
United States, TN, Smyrna
Joined Feb 2014
232 Posts
and 3 cell will pull you out of a lot more sticky situations. It will also take you into the ground with more speed as well, so maybe it's a break even.
I agree more fun though.
moteasa is offline Find More Posts by moteasa
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:21 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,567 Posts
Frogman1206,

RonJ here, just a "few" miles north of you (Sparta). I was at the Madison E-Fly with my CTB.
Like the man said, takes a bit getting used to but when you do, it's a blast. My TH Pitts used to be my favorite, but the CTB is edging it out as my frequent flyer. Had a HeadsUp Blue Wonder on 3S-500's with a 9X4.3 HD prop that eventually burned out. Replaced it with a Motrofly 2205-1800KV on an 8X4 HD as recommended by a friend----WOW !! .... Power is unreal, and it comes down almost cold on a 3S lipo. A little spendy but they are a great "oooo-ahhhh" generator......

RonJ
Twisted-a-holic
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:34 AM
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Here is some indoor Beaver flying I shot the other day. Pretty tame 3D but I did feel cramped in there a little. Nothing like a little tight beaver
https://vimeo.com/81227711
unfortunately, "tightness" is fleeting
stryker2 is offline Find More Posts by stryker2