SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:09 AM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Discussion
MA X-Cell .60

I just inherited this X-Cell heli from a friend. It's never been started and he had it sitting in his garage collecting dust. It has CF fins and tailboom, .61 OS Engine, Futaba servos (a bit on the old side), and it looks like it was assembled carefully. I was into nitro many moons ago but had little success. Now I have some electric experience and I'm ready to give it another go.

First order of business will be to change out the analog servos for digital, yank out the old brick gyro, install an Optima 9 Rx, I'm thinking about changing out the old wooden blades for CF ones or FG (any thoughts?), and of course, purchase all the stuff I need for the field.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:55 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,325 Posts
I would take the engine appart to check for corrosion, and lubricate it before starting. After run oil works good for lubrication.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:11 PM
Addicted to my hobby
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
I would take the engine appart to check for corrosion, and lubricate it before starting. After run oil works good for lubrication.
Great idea. I'll do that.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:01 AM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
I have a monster truck nitro that has been sitting in the garage for 8 years or so. I removed the back cover off the engine and soaked it with WD-40 over night then slowly worked it through every part of the engine. It cleaned it up rather nicely and she screams once again. Bearings were really notchy and gummed up before I wd-40 it.
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Nov 2005
12 Posts
Go through and inspect all of the components and lube as needed. Tear the engine down and inspect for gremlins. Then install a Futaba 401 w/digital servo and set of Futaba 9202 coreless along with a 2.4 RX and you'll be set. I have several old MA helis and they are all work horses. Carbon fiber blades will work but I still run old school woodies on some of mine and they work fine.
Badgerfarm is offline Find More Posts by Badgerfarm
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:59 PM
Addicted to my hobby
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfarm View Post
Go through and inspect all of the components and lube as needed. Tear the engine down and inspect for gremlins. Then install a Futaba 401 w/digital servo and set of Futaba 9202 coreless along with a 2.4 RX and you'll be set. I have several old MA helis and they are all work horses. Carbon fiber blades will work but I still run old school woodies on some of mine and they work fine.
Thanks for the recommendations. I just happen to have a GY401 sitting on the work bench and I was wondering about servos. You responded at the right time.