SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
Discussion
100-120g 3D kit?

I have the E-Flite UMX Extra 300 and a EPP Leadfeather Yak. Love them both, but the Yak is a little big for my back yard and the UMX Extra 300 is a little small if there's any wind.

I'm looking for something in between. I'm considering just scratch-building the Yak smaller, but I thought I'd check if there's a kit out there people really like?
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Twistedhobbys is about to release a new Crack Yak Lite. Could be just what your looking for
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:59 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for that for sure. Can't tell right now if it will be slightly smaller or just a lighter build from the threads I read. Lighter build might make it more floaty than I like, but am definitely going to watch for this one.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,643 Posts
Crack Yak Lite is not the only thing coming out soon to scratch an itch like this. I can't say any more than that.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:25 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,397 Posts
There you go teasing us Cody!

Joking aside, have you thought about doing the smaller version of Leadfeather's yak? The 19 and 22 inch versions are just as easy to build as the 32 inch. If you have the gear for one of those that is.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,035 Posts
If your comfortable with scratch building it wouldnt be difficult to cut a 32'' leadfeather yak in the 4oz range using light components. I usually get my epp from rcplanebuilder in 1.3lb 9mm but for lighter planes i go with 6mm 1.3lb. This was a slicko 32.5'' i cut from 6mm 1.3lb epp quite a while back and its a larger plane than a leadfeather yak to begin with so you could probably get the yak slightly lighter just from it being a smaller size plane to start.

Slicko SL 4oz 32'' 3D EPP Plane Test Flight! (3 min 18 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
Funny, I found that video when I was searching earlier and said "yep, that's what I want".

Scratch building a scaled down Yak is quite tempting. The appealing thing about a kit is that the kit-builders have worked all the kinks out of the process and usually tried a few different motor/esc/battery/prop combinations to get the right performance. Its really the trial-and-error part of that that I'd like to avoid. I scratch-built a 3mm depron 22" leadfeather, but didn't have the right motor for the weight to make it do 3D (flew nice, but thrust/weight was off).

Mind sharing what components you used in that slicko?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:00 AM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
I came across this one as well... looks like it might be a good fit for what I'm looking for.

http://www.dwfoamies.com/28in-yak-junior
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:39 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,035 Posts
I flew the slicko sl on a few different packs,outrunners etc. This is the set up in the video posted above: t-motor 1804 outrunner,7x3.5 gws prop,turnigy plush 6amp esc,rc pro packs 220mah 2s 25c lipo,power hd 6g servo on ailerons,4.4 power hd's on the tail. I flew it heavier as well and took it with one time to the track and flew inside with it. Depron flys much crisper and more precise for sure,ive cut some depron planes from popular 9mm epp planes like the crack yak as well and you can drop the auw down quite a bit even using similar power set ups but depron is crunchy and not as forgiving if you crash but well worth it because they do fly very nice.

The slicko sl at the track.. should of doubled up the prop bands
Slicko SL Flying At RaceWorld Raceway 4.6oz Set Up (1 min 47 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Crack Yak Lite is not the only thing coming out soon to scratch an itch like this. I can't say any more than that.
Cody the question becomes when do we get some more details?Hehe. Dying here waiting. Money burning a hole in my pocket. Hehe.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
OK, now I'm listening
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:39 PM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
The Dualsky Mini Breeze may be something to look at. 24" wingspan, EPP, and about 3oz/100g but would be able to build lighter. Haven't flown this one but have been tempted having had the depron Breeze a few years ago until its AUW blew out with glue and tape repairs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1351809
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Last edited by DRAMJET; Oct 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM.