HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:06 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
Question
silver soldering

when silver soldering, do you use and iron or a torch? if Iron what wattage, if torch what brand?

When I did silver soldering on hand splints we used a torch but I was soldering stainless steel
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:04 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,229 Posts
Hi
Torch.
Silver solder melts at 500+c , and needs special flux , unless you use fluxed rods .
I use a large butane torch for boiler work and different solders up to 750c melting ,
but a good hand canister hand torch is ok for small jobs .
Dunc2504
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:32 PM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc2504 View Post
Silver solder melts at 500+c
Not if you're in the USA! What's generally known there as 'silver solder' is in fact silver bearing soft solder. What we, in the UK, know as silver solder is generally termed 'hard solder' or 'silver brazing' in the US. Confused? I was!

dostacos - if you're using hard silver solder, you'll definitely need a torch. If you're using a soft solder, such as Stay-Brite, then most soldering irons should cope with the 279C melting point.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:44 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
What is really confusing is when you go to a proper Jewelry or Welding Supply and ask for Silver Solder you get the proper bring it up to cherry red heat hard solder stuff, when you go anywhere else you find silver bearing Solder (4% silver) labeled as Silver Solder and most of the clerks don't know any difference.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:09 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,691 Posts
Dan, is this for the Midwest engine? If so, get some Stay-Brite silver solder and liquid flux. It comes with both in a little kit you can get from your LHS or online.

Set your soldering iron to max temperature. When it is good and hot, place a drop or two of the flux on your part. Clean your iron tip on the sponge, and then apply a dab of solder to the tip. Don't let it fall off, and place your tip into the flux. When it starts to sizzle, start moving the tip around and let the solder wick into the flux and part. Keeping the tip touching the part continuously, move it around and spread the solder between the two parts to be joined. It will be flowing like water. Pull your tip away and let the part cool for several seconds before you try to move it or even jiggle it. When you see the solder flash over, it has gone hard again.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot