HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:10 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
September Contest

Wow! What another great contest.

The contest director was our youngest member Jon Garber at age 14. He did a wonderful job. The tasks were 5,5,8,8,10,10. I really like this task setup. It allows us to fly with three flight groups and with a pilot's meeting of 9:30am we're done by 2pm. Also, thanks to the brilliant suggestion by Jim Loughran to the lower task times which allows folks to make their times and get the experience of landing on target and on time. It's exciting watching five planes land simultaneously.

I attached an example of the first round; look at the top 10 scores, all above 1,000 points. The only way for this to happen is for folks make their time and their landings! Awesome!

I say Long Live the Oly! Gary Feland flew his Oly to a 1st, 3rd, 2nd and 5th place finish! There were two flights where he was the highest plane in the sky and others just couldn't ride the lift as high as him! Fantastic!
Heck,in Round 2 that darn Oly beat my Red Merle ALES eSupra!

The results are posted at http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES%202012.html

The annual club results are here: http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES.html

I've submitted them to the ALES league and they should be posted sometime this week.

Thanks for the wonderful time!
Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added Round Scores
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,558 Posts
A bit slow, but one more pic of the soaring Montana!

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
ALES Glider

For Curtis and my ALES friends,
I thought I'd recommend this new electric powered glider for possible consideration in future ALES events.
Curtis, you could even put larger footprints on the top of the wings!
Enjoy!
Blessings,
Arlen

World Record Large RC Paper Airplane 2 (2 min 0 sec)
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, MT, Belgrade
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
For Curtis and my ALES friends,
I thought I'd recommend this new electric powered glider for possible consideration in future ALES events.
Curtis, you could even put larger footprints on the top of the wings!
Enjoy!
Blessings,
Arlen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUuTv...eature=related
Now there's an ALICE plane I can relate to! How funny! Wonder how well that would slope in a 40MPH+ wind at TT?

TIO
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
Brrr! 23 degrees to start at 10:15 after the fog lifted and 46 degrees at 1:30pm when the contest ended. Wonderful day!

Carl asked me to pass along:
Here is a link to some photos from the ALES event yesterday. What a great spot to fly!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5oy25fgg7vsoxxk/NUEbQeD9x0

Congrats to Curtis, John and Little Jon. Nice flying guys!!!
Carl

More later.
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:25 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
models

Curtis, nice to see a group of soarers without a Radian in sight !!!.Not that I dislike Radians, just looks good to see all your guys moving up.

Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:48 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,512 Posts
Hi Curtis,

just curious, given the cooler temps did you notice any battery lag on the launches?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
387 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos. In the group shot you can see the fog bank behind us. Ended up being a great time!
Speed37 is offline Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:17 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Oct 6 Contest

Well, I got to attend the last contest of the year in Montana and had a very good time. As usual I caught crap for being in shorts and a t-shirt in cold weather, HAHA! I road out with Curtis and then he insisted I fly his plane for the contest. So glad I did, it flies beautifully and I learned a lot between the actual flying and his tips while he was timing me. I took some pictures at the beginning of the contest of the fog and general surroundings, then let my son take more pictures, unfortunately the batteries didn't like the cold and our picture taking was very limited this time around.

Thank you to the Billings guys for having us and being such gracious hosts.

I am truly bummed for the couple of planes that went home in less than flyable condition. It is such a sad thing to see happen. I really feel for you guys.

I hope to have my personal plane in the air next year, should be fun!

Thanks,
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
Thank you!

Hi All,
Thanks for the report and pictures on the Columbus ALES Event. Sorry I wasn't able to make it, but had previously scheduled the day for other things. I'm also marginal in whether or not I can make the East Helena event on the 27th. Hoping to make it.

Was good to see Chip make it, even if he wasn't "fully clothed!" Looking forward to watch him fly the "new" plane he is working on for next summer.
Blessings all,
Arlen
Last edited by Paradise MT; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:24 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
The contest results are up!
http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES%20Billings.html

Wow, what a cold start. 23 degrees at 10:15am for the first flight and the last flight at about 2:30pm was 46 degrees. I picked Chip up for the ride down and told myself that if he's in long pants I'm turning around and going home!

Unfortunately we had two horrific crashes. Some beautiful Art Hobby models destroyed. I haven't heard the determination as to the causes. Sad.

Personally, I couldn't hit the landing tape to help me the first three rounds and my scores reflected it. Then I must have warmed up and the last three rounds I got serious!

Chip Baber flew "Red Merle" in the contest and finished with a respectable 4th place finish! I had offered him to fly my plane and after the first round when I was in 6th place and he was 2nd, I was like Oh No!, what did I do, he's going to beat me with my own plane! I couldn't think of a nicer guy to do so. It was fun.

There is one more contest scheduled this year in Helena, the last Saturday of the month. I won't be there so my season is done.

The Billings scores should be posted to the ALES League soon. Thanks to Randy Brust for taking all the hard work to make the League happen.

There are great things to come for ALES! I'll pass info along as it becomes available but for now, it seems the AMA is going to recognize us a provisional format next year!

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:14 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
I found this photo in my phone, quite the frosty start!

The Billings contest in Columbus has been posted to the ALES League.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&output=html

Wow! Five folks in the top 16 spots.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:28 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Good stuff!
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
Wow!

Curtis,
I'm sure you know that I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I was 'sorta' encouraged to see my name at #27 out of 287 on the ALES League posting Not too bad for an old guy who hasn't been able to attend very many events. Sorry you'll not be at the final one for this year......it's likely that I won't be able to make it either.....time will tell.

Was out playing around with my DLG last night.....trying to get used to it's flying characteristics. It sure is a floater. I've not been able to program my ailerons into working as flaps, so was practicing catching it by hand at a higher speed!!
Blessings,
Arlen
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:36 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
The Skunkworks have been busy all summer.

Jim Loughran taught these folks everything there is to know to scratch build a model; cutting foam, vacuum bagging a wing, making pods/booms, radio installation/programming etc....

This is the first of four new 140" scratch built ALES gliders.
This is called the Gair-E as it's Gary's wonderful model. Even though he flies an Oly very well he'll really like this one!

It's their own modified airfoil and 100% totally scratch built. Including the pod in a female mold with the wing saddle built in, a beautiful aluminum motor mount, and a horizontal stab mount that will survive a nuclear bomb. Estimated cost under $250 and time, well it's been a long summer. Now what are they going to do this winter?

Test flight scheduled in a few hours.

Nice work guys!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member