SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:25 PM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Hmm mixed results then Are there any other MG servos as thin to use as a replacement? Or do we just order twice as many Vigor/Eurgles as we need? My general experience is that if an item works fine for the first 20 minutes then you've probably got a good one.
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:40 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post
Hmm mixed results then Are there any other MG servos as thin to use as a replacement? Or do we just order twice as many Vigor/Eurgles as we need? My general experience is that if an item works fine for the first 20 minutes then you've probably got a good one.
No first hand knowledge with these yet, but my LHS (alofthobbies.com) switched to this servo.

Power HD DSM44

Not sure what the shipping would be to NZ, but send him (Rotozuk / Wayne) a PM here on RC Groups and if he isn't able to give you a good deal on it, he might be able to point you where you could find something similar more locally.

-Jonathan

Edit: some review of them on RCG's here
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:10 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Cheers for that Jonathan. For now I'll put my Speedo on servo test (my ER9X TX has a great test function for that) for half an hour and see how I go. Then if all ok maiden. Really don't want to swap out things at this point, want to fly
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:21 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
On that note, I'd probably start your maiden with the CG at 78 not at 73 :P Just keep the ele rates down to a minimal. What's 4g on the tail vs a good flying plane.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:31 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,384 Posts
Thanks for that link to servos from Aloft, Jonathon. I hadn't seen those before. They're quite light and thin. Nice. Have you tried them out?
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:33 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
On that note, I'd probably start your maiden with the CG at 78 not at 73 :P Just keep the ele rates down to a minimal. What's 4g on the tail vs a good flying plane.
Good advice! Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:01 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
Thanks for that link to servos from Aloft, Jonathon. I hadn't seen those before. They're quite light and thin. Nice. Have you tried them out?
See below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
No first hand knowledge with these yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post
Good advice! Thanks
Besides, if 4g on the tail works, then you'll be taking those 4g off and more to boot from the nose.

-Jonathan
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:36 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Wow what an awesome plane! Just got back from 20kmph breezes and a maidened Speedo. After flying my plank (Windrider Bat) for 70 minutes straight (only the one landing!) the Speedo was a dream to fly. Sadly I horribly messed up the landing (its a tricky site) and put spoilerons on way too early plus started my final way too far out. Ended stalling over a building and then she (I assume) slid down the roof stopping at/through a grill-gate. The fus kept going between the grate bars with the wings stopping at the grate. As per all the advice on this thread the vinyl/tape joiner ripped allowing the fus to slide through with the wings lying on the other side of the gate. Quite comical, my flying buddy took a photo which I'll post up.

As an aside that Eurgle servo is still playing up (did not cause the crash landing - thats all me!) and I did take a risk flying with it.

CG. Twyl/Cory/others you are spot on at around the 80mm mark. I did some test glides on a flat field and she landed perfectly flat on her belly (Gordy would be proud - see above for link to his article). I had some experts with me and they observed the maiden flight as I tried different trim settings. When I got her down (badly!) the final trimming had the Ele perfectly neutral to the horiz stab. And dive test - dived perfectly neutral, neither pulling up or tucking under. Also hope to get some video of her flying when my buddy gets it online. By the way with only an Ele throw of +-3mm I was able to do three loops in a row . Think this proves the Ele has great authority at a CG of 78-80mm!

So a really good day even with the crash landing. Lots of things verified from this thread.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:47 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Ack Brendon, sorry to hear it didn't end so well. How bad was the damage? Dink the LE up some? I went flying today as well and ended up flying through something too and even got it on video. :P Of course it was a foamie but check this link out.

I've a funny Story about Gordy by the way. After reading the article you linked I sent him an email since he was kind enough to put it at the end of his article. The flying wing in the above link is the first wing I've had in 7-8 years and the CG location has been killing me. Seems to fly nice but requires a lot of down elevator when inverted. Anyways, I sent him an email asking if his principals applied to wings too. I got a response back a few hours later saying it would be easier to tell me then type so here's my phone number. I gave him a call and we chatted it up for a bit and the fellow was a really pleasure to talk to. I got my answers and we hung up.

Now I learned to fly when I was a kid since my dad was really into gliders (check out my blog for some old pics if interested). My dad never shy was well known to corresponding with anyone and everyone in the glider community, and well since Gordy seemed of a certain age and of a certain level of experience it crossed my mind that he might have been the type of person my dad communicated with as well back in the day. Turns out he had and not only that they had visited each other in the past too. Pretty cool coincidence.

Back on topic, hope to see pictures of your finished Speedo when you get a chance.

-Jonathan
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:56 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Awesome vid Jonathan! It took me a second to actually realise what the "hoop" was!

And with Gordy, wow seems that its a small flying world hey

Back to the Speedo, yeh one wing's LE is dinged but I put the iron I use for lamfilm on it to see if I could shrink out the covering and it helped. Thought I would give it a real go tomorrow after the sun and beer (beer is good after sun ) wear off. Five hours today in the sun is a killer. New Zealand is ozone-layer deprived and also no air pollution to shield out the sun. My face is kinda glowing a bit (and not in a good way like in the commercials)!

Cheers.

Edit: Added photo. See Twyl I can shoot the hoop too! (Have a look at the bars around the fus )
Last edited by argo-2; Feb 02, 2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Photo of the day :-D
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:05 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Well got the dings out with a travel clothes iron. I read up on Oracover and used 150 degC to shrink the Oracover wrinkles. Apart from some shallow dents the wing is as good as new.

Took the opportunity to replace that suspect Eurgle with the spare HK Vigor. All good now.

Removed the unneeded nose lead which was not easy. I ended up cutting 5mm of the nose off and then drilling the lead out. I'm replacing the missing 5mm with a solid silicone rubber cone. Molded this using the detergent shaping technique. At least there's some give in the nose now!

So just waiting for the silicone to cure and she's ready for the air again AUW is now 396gms.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:50 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Hahahaha, that pictures classic Brendon. It's a good thing the horizontal didn't break off too or you'd be trying to figure out ways to fish your fuse out of there. Those chains and locks look pretty heavy duty.

I tried Googling around for silicon rubber cone molding technique you used, but wasn't able to come up with much. Can you share a link or two or explain what it is you did? Sounds interesting.

-Jonathan
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:42 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Sorry that was vague of me
It's an old RC boat trick for making a bumper for the bow. Start by tubing on the silicone (squirting it) and then with dish washing detergent on your fingers you work the silicone into the shape you want. The detergent stops stickiness and can be washed away when the silicone is cured. Takes a bit of a knack to get right (which I don't have) so cleaning up with a sharp knife is also a good option
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:53 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quick update on my servo situation:

The R2 Hobbies Eurgle Servo played up again so I replaced it with a spare HK Vigor. Then the second Eurgle started playing up.

So my servo experience:
  • 2 of 2 R2 Eurgles failed
  • 2 of 2 HK Vigor's are fine so far, but HK is out of stock (and have been for awhile).
I've ordered 2 x DSM44's for my wing servos from Aloft. Hopefully I'll have better luck with these.

Very frustrating. StuntDouble maybe my servo experience should be added to the first post? Also perhaps a reference to the DSM44's in the manual if they prove to be good?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:44 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,850 Posts
Certainly, let us know how you go with the DSM44's
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double