SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985 View Post
I have had one of these sitting around for a few months and just got it built this weekend. I have the X-flight 1600 kV CS12 combo in the stock Freewing shroud, 100A Hobbywing Platinum Pro & 7.5/5A Hobbywing HV BEC. Static test with a GensAce 3700 mAH 35C indicates WAY over 1:1 thrust @ 96A peak. I didn't get as much thrust with a similar combo in my Eurofighter but then again I had trouble getting the Eurofighter balanced and this one is ALMOST perfect. Looking forward to a maiden tomorrow or Tuesday.
sounds about right. Those static #s will drop Inflight just be easy on your battery as I've killed a few from flying WOT 75% of the flight, I finally learned my lesson and thankfully it was battery damage before plane damage. Good luck!
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussyjonny View Post
Yeah, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to ship from the states then myself. Question for everybody, received my change sun 12 blade 90 mm unit in the mail and wondering about placement in the airframe itself. Can anybody show me a picture of where they placed their's? I have an idea but would like some opinions. Also ideas on the best way to hog out the foam? Thx!
PM aros or look at the attachment photos link and you can see how he cut out foam and placed his x-flight combo in the plane.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:37 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,348 Posts
Here's the photos...Hope they help. (Excuse the butchered job to the foam. I didn't have a dremel yet...Yeah, I know.)

Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:49 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,909 Posts
aros, where you biting it?
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:59 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,348 Posts
You would think! That's what foam looks like when you take a hobby knife and stab at it 100 times.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
It's watts for dinner
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
957 Posts
Well, here's my report.

I maidened yesterday with the plane a little bit nose heavy - probably almost a half inch. Not smart, but I figured the plane could handle it.

Day 1, Flight 1: Zoom down the runway. I barely had enough elevator to keep it under control with the recommended setup. I instantly flipped to high rates, goosed it around, trimmed it up, and landed a bit rough. Gave it some more throw on the ground and put a little up pitch on the tailerons at neutral.

Flight 2: It flew much better then, but still felt really nose heavy. Then one of the mains refused to come down so I ended up making a nice belly landing in the grass.

Flight 3: Gear down flight, just zooming around a bit. Nice vertical.

Back to the hangar after that. This morning I fixed the gear (loose ground wire) and epoxied some lead on top of the taileron servos. Balance then neutral. Then this afternoon back to the field...

Day 2, Flight 1: Zoom... big difference in feel and handling with the correct balance (duh). Just a vanilla familiarization flight.

Flight 2: A little bit of fun - semi-scale airshow-type ballistic climbs, immelmans, spilt-S, etc. Defnitely fun to fly.

Flight 3 - dusk - no wind - first high-alpha flight. Holy smokes! This thing walks along at a 60-70 degree angle like it has a gyro! It feels MUCH more stable and planted than my Eurofighter.

So after 6 flights, I have to say - I am REALLY liking this plane. More than the Eurofighter, for sure. It has better power-to-weight and also does high-alpha and scale maneuvers like a champ.
sjw985 is online now Find More Posts by sjw985
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,348 Posts
Congrats! She's a champ.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Jun 2006
29 Posts
AROS and V8, you guys are everywhere! How do you find the time to work, build and blog?
I'm going to finish setting up my SU-34 and build my F-18 this weekend. I'm off for four days in 4 hours. I really enjoy your posts. The information that you share is great. Thanks! I think that I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the 1700mm P-51. I still can't determine if the FF at BH has PZ-V2 retracts.
rmmurray1000 is offline Find More Posts by rmmurray1000
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,710 Posts
Lol! Lots of windshield time sitting shotgun driving from job site to job site allows me to pop into the forums during work.

We'll be here if you have any questions on the F18 build.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,355 Posts
Congrats! She's a beauty once it's trimmed out.

PM me if you want any set up details on the Su34.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Jun 2006
29 Posts
PM sent
rmmurray1000 is offline Find More Posts by rmmurray1000
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmurray1000 View Post
AROS and V8, you guys are everywhere! How do you find the time to work, build and blog?
I work from home as a freelance graphic designer so I have tremendously easy access to the forum since I'm on my computer most of the day.

The pay sucks but you can't beat the commute, attire and flex scheduling.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:36 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,909 Posts
Thanks just fly it! got the noozels today. That's what I love on rcgroups, guy's passing on part's to help other flyers jet's keep flying....Thanks... Lee
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
280 Posts
Touch-n-go

Just thought I would share...
Our beloved f-18
VFA-103 Jolly Rogers - Super Hornet - Close up Touch and Go's! (3 min 11 sec)
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,348 Posts
Nice clip! The F/A-18 is still my favorite US jet over the past 40 years. Just has a timeless look to it. Not as futuristic-looking as the stealth stuff obviously, but still a classic, tough look, not unlike the WWII warbirds.

Anyone here have FSX? If you fly the F-18, it's remarkable how slow the stall speed is. You can get her to near hover before landing with flaps like the video above shows.

Anyone get the ChangeSun 18-blade EDF yet?

Looks like I'll be waiting until 2013 for #3.
RCG Plus Member