SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2005
116 Posts
Discussion
Epoxy resin over bondo?

Hi all after sanding bass wood planks on trawler hull i noticed several low spots built them with up with the red Bondo glazing putty i would like to apply Pacer 's epoxy finishing resin and fiberglass cloth over the glazing putty .Will the EPOXY resin adhere to the sanded glazing putty ? Regards Andris Golts.
riggerman is offline Find More Posts by riggerman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,121 Posts
Scuff it up with sandpaper for some bite, should be no problem.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:14 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,781 Posts
I would contact the customer service dept. at Pacer and ask first. My brother skim coated a large hull with body filler then glassed over with Bondo Brand resin and cloth. the first time in the water (at an event no less) the glass lifted, water got under it and it came off in sheets. The body filler he used wasn't Bondo brand so that might have ahd something to do with the incompatibility.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'm tired.....
Conway,Myrtle Beach SC
Joined Jul 2009
519 Posts
I would not do it. I would glass it first then fill in the low spots with some bondo. Glazing putty is for filling tiny pinholes and very small scratches. It is also lacquer based so as you apply some to a primed surface it kinda etches itself to the primer.
jjac is offline Find More Posts by jjac
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:41 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,104 Posts
I have epoxied over evercoat, etc... works fine... but the point of glassing first and then fairing the hull is a very good one- glassing binds the planks together and makes a more stable/consistant substrate for fairing... differing sanding properties of the wood you are using vs. the filler + the possibility of planks moving around under the sanding block = lots of "fun" for fairing... works much better glassed first-

"Bondo Brand" resin is polyester and is very sensitive to other chemicals that might be present on the surface you are glassing... any 'contamination' of the surface and it will do exactly as you suggest, Prins... can be frustrating stuff... Epoxy resin is less "tempremental"...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:50 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,844 Posts
should be fine if proper curing times are used, all dependant on thickness and temp. give the bondo several days at least, maybe warm and cool it a few times over that period, rough sand it and wipe it down with a cleaner(acetone)
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:09 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Jjac is right, in that spot putty should be used only for minor pinholes and sand scratches, which it is specifically made for.

Use Bondo for heavier applications such as fairing out a hull.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:24 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,598 Posts
I have used epoxy over both Bondo spot glaze and Bondo polester 2-part filler... never had a problem.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:51 PM
Joined Nov 2005
116 Posts
[QUOTE] Thanks to all for the great information. Regards Andris Golts.
riggerman is offline Find More Posts by riggerman
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:33 PM
Joined Aug 2009
37 Posts
I have had trouble in the past with the red spot putty. Ive had paint bubble over tiny puttied spots. Never tried resin over it. It may have been that the putty was not completly dry (it's loaded with acetone) and was still off gassing. I wouldn't chance it myself....but,in any case, be sure to let that stuff dry, dry, dry!
tug one is offline Find More Posts by tug one