Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by PorterB
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined May 2014
15 Posts
Discussion
Height of SC&H Brig for transport?

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this--I have an unbuilt SC&H Brig kit that I'll be building in the not too distant future. I am about to get a new car, and was thinking that it would be wise of me to get a car that would be able to accommodate the brig for transport.

Can anyone tell me how tall they when de-rigged for transport? Thanks!
PorterB is offline Find More Posts by PorterB
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by DanL
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,499 Posts
If you build it stock with the folding masts, it will be about 24" high without the lead keel. That's an estimate because mine is built with non-folding masts.
But the model is over 80 inches long with bowsprit (about 60" without) and the yards up to 34" wide, so I don't know that a car would be the best choice. A minivan or SUV type vehicle would be better.
And although it weighs only about 35lbs without the lead keel, it is a bit cumbersome to handle. So the more space and the more easily it can be loaded the better.
You also need to haul a 40lb lead keel and some sort of launching cart, taking up more room.

Spend some time reading the various build threads - many good tips, build options, sailing advice, etc. For this nice a model, it's worth the research time.
Have fun building and sailing. And please consider posting your build - it will be enjoyed and appreciated by many.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Aug 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by PorterB
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined May 2014
15 Posts
Thank you, DanL! I was on the verge of making a "Buehler...?" comment.

24" is not too bad at all. I'm looking at a Subaru Legacy Wagon, which has about 67" in the back with the seats folded down. A tight fit but workable. I would love to get a minivan or SUV but it's not in the cards.
PorterB is offline Find More Posts by PorterB
Old Aug 28, 2015, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by JerryTodd
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,860 Posts
I think my Constellation is about as tall as the SC&H brigs with the rig collapsed.

This is stuffed into the Tahoe in 2011 with only topmasts unfidded and lowered.
Name: con20110710d.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 153.4 KB
Description: In the back of a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with the rear seat folded down.

This is earlier this year with t'gallant mast and yards added to the mix
Name: con20150517a.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 167.5 KB
Description: With Pride in a 2001 Ford Windstar with all the rear seats taken out.

I built this size because I calculated it to fit in my then 1997 Chevy Blazer which has a little less space than the Tahoe.

I haven't tried getting her into my 2004 Toyota Matrix - I think she'll go if she's heeled well over. I certainly wouldn't get another boat in there with her.

The problem with all of the above is getting the model in and out without damaging it. A cradle designed to carry the model heeled and able to slide in the vehicle will reduce that risk a bit. The model needs to be lashed down as well, in case you need to hit the brakes, or take a hard turn. You don't want it joining you in the front seat.

If you opt for a "mini-van" it'll have rear seats that fold into the floor or come out. Our Windstar's seats are a huge pain to take in and out - they're heavy, bulky, and like to eat fingers if you don't watch out. Newer vans are probably much better in this regard, but seats that fold into the floor may not leave you the headroom you need.

For myself, I'm strongly considering buying a Harbor Freight bare-bones trailer and building a box on it to I can transport at least two models fully rigged - and handle everything by myself. My concern with that is the shock-absorption of the trailer - I worry it'll bounce and jar the models a lot.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd