SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Discovery-II Sailboat

Entry Level Sailboat with Self Rescue Motor

Splash

Great First Sailboat

The Discovery-II Sailboat from HobbyKing is a beginners sailboat that is prebuilt with most of the electronics installed so you can get on the water quickly. It just takes a few moments to connect the sail and keel. You'll need to provide your own 4 channel transmitter, receiver, and battery. The hull is 620mm long making it a larger improved version of the older Discovery 500. One of the great features this boat offers for new sailboat captains is a small brushed motor that you can activate to get you going back to shore if you run into trouble.

Learn more about the Discovery-II Sailboat at HobbyKing.

Features:

• Molded fiberglass hull
  • High gloss painted finish
  • Printed ripstop nylon sails
  • Removable keel
  • Display stand included
  • High strength fiberglass main mast

Specs:

• Length: 620mm
  • Height: 1850mm
  • Width: 185mm
  • Area of Sails : 0.18m2
  • Weight: 1600g
  • Motor: 380 class brushed

Old Dec 31, 2014, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by tarmstro
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
463 Posts
Jason, I am sorry, but this is another misleading incomplete review. You fail to say that this boat is not class compliant, and do not tell anything about how the boat is built or how it sails! People want to know how this boat is... I suspect the propeller is needed to move around because it does not sail well...

My advice: for almost same money go buy a Dragon Force 65, which is class compliant, and a much better boat in terms of build quality and sailing performace.
tarmstro is offline Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Dec 31, 2014, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by birdy233
Dallas
Joined Aug 2002
225 Posts
First off, it's not a review, it's a new product spotlight. Big difference. Second, it's states great entry level sailboat, which personally I like it. Class compliant?? Who gives a crap?? Time to move along to your class compliant sailboats

Learn to read before you post
birdy233 is offline Find More Posts by birdy233
Old Dec 31, 2014, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by Jason Cole
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
7,311 Posts
Correct, this was a news story showcasing a new product, not full review. For more information, please visit the link shown in the story.
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,958 Posts
Hi Jason
Many of us think of this as a "pool toy" rather than an RC sailboat. That is not to say it isn't a good product for what it is. I am sure these would be fun in a pool for kids. To suggest it is a "great first sailboat" in my opinion could be misleading. It is a cute little boat for sure. HK has been selling this little guy for a number of years, so it may not really be "news". The post looks like an advertisement - professionally composed!

Boats like a Nirvana, a Victoria, a Fortune 612 or any number of Kit boats , or a number of the other HK boats would certainly make a better "first sailboat".

Not sure of the criteria you are using for rating this little guy.A search on this forum should yield a few reports on this boat or similar products. Those might be of interest to you. I posted links to two threads on Discovery boats.

Boomer

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=discovery
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...321750&page=14
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 01, 2015, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by cdog46
Southern Maine USA
Joined Apr 2006
106 Posts
Stop!

Call this piece what you will: a semi-ad, a sponsored(paid) preview. Frankly-who the hell cares?????!!!!

If no one should really care-why am I posting? Easy-I like it when any new RC Sailboat product is posted & I'm not quite sure why anyone else would be so bothered. Fact is-if it garners more interest-isn't this a positive thing?

Further-any experienced member of this site should have a good bs filter. It bothers me when I see ugly sail boats-real or models. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but-for example-the Paradise 100 or whatever its called-is just plain ugly as are those Footys.

Lastly-I am intrigued but doubt it actually works that well if at all-with the "auxillary engine". In New England-good ponds for model boats are few. Ponds aren't but good model sailing ponds are!
cdog46 is offline Find More Posts by cdog46
Old Jan 01, 2015, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by tarmstro
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
463 Posts
Glad to have started a constructive discussion. My only goal was that, if someone stumbles on this post while looking for a first sailboat, he/she really knows what this little boat is all about: a toy.
tarmstro is offline Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Jan 01, 2015, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by ratlm
United States, WY, Gillette
Joined Oct 2008
171 Posts
discovery

what i discovered was that if you have a surface radio you can findout if you like the sport of sailing for $100.0 pluse shipping.a very agreeable price for a pertty little boat that looks like it would get you started and help an old fart like myself to get my grandkids doing something besides staring at mind numbbing games.thank you for the post.when you first start i doubt your sanity in putting a few hundred to a couple thousand dollers in a hole in the water to see if you can get the thing to do what you tell it to do??have i gotten my point across?its the type of posts like the first one that really turns people off to sailing or any other promising sport that makes you think about what nature has to offer.an rc sailboat could be the start of an inqusitive mind.for me that is rc sailplanes when you stay upthere for 2 hours with no motor you have acomplished something few have done and learned a great deal about nature (and God).not preaching here.the same would apply to that little sailboat that your shooting down before trying it out.the younger generation really needs a little help here in my not so humble opinion.BY THE WAY,THERE ALL TOYS.
ratlm is offline Find More Posts by ratlm
Old Jan 01, 2015, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by birdy233
Dallas
Joined Aug 2002
225 Posts
Sorry, it is a new version, so this has not been around for years. What really is wrong with reading the whole post and knowing this is a newly released version.

"20mm long making it a larger improved version of the older Discovery 500. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Hi Jason
Many of us think of this as a "pool toy" rather than an RC sailboat. That is not to say it isn't a good product for what it is. I am sure these would be fun in a pool for kids. To suggest it is a "great first sailboat" in my opinion could be misleading. It is a cute little boat for sure. HK has been selling this little guy for a number of years, so it may not really be "news". The post looks like an advertisement - professionally composed!

Boats like a Nirvana, a Victoria, a Fortune 612 or any number of Kit boats , or a number of the other HK boats would certainly make a better "first sailboat".

Not sure of the criteria you are using for rating this little guy.A search on this forum should yield a few reports on this boat or similar products. Those might be of interest to you. I posted links to two threads on Discovery boats.

Boomer

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=discovery
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...321750&page=14
birdy233 is offline Find More Posts by birdy233
Old Jan 01, 2015, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,818 Posts
OK - just start a "pool" - chip in $5.00 or Euro equivalent and post the date the "first" - not "all" - of the questions that get posted on how to rig, how to sail, how to improve performance, where to buy replacement sails, rigging, replacement parts (if any are available), keep water out of hull, and on and on regarding this "new" offering.

At $100 plus shipping you have overpaid! For LESS than $200 (US) the Dragon Force monohull is a recommended "Best Buy" to consider as a first boat, or as a possible racing class. This based on numbers sailing, number of fleets racing, available for parts for a Chinese made product, number of owners providing answers to new owners, etc.

As an FYI in fairness - I don't own one, having purchased their (Joysway) multihull .

My personal opinion, and I could be wrong. Buyers Beware!
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jan 01, 2015, 02:45 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,958 Posts
OK, so the good news is this boat it is a new version of their original version. I have seen the original version in person, but have not seen this new version, other than in the photos posted here and on the HK web site.

In an effort to learn more about this "new version", I again went to the HK web site and read again the information they had published. Which is pretty much the same information Jason had posted. I copied the web site photos so I could expand them to permit me to see more details on the boat to learn about this version's set up.

I reposted photos below hoping someone can point out where the main sail is connected to the sheet/line coming off of the drum winch. If it is not connected to it how is the main sail controlled? I can see the boom vang is connect to the main's boom - no problem there, just can't make out anywhere a sheet/line is connected to the main's boom. This leads us to wonder how one would adjust the sheet trim?

In the picture with the hatch open, I am only able to see a single sheet/line coming out of the drum winch, which leads forward and is clearly connected to the jib.

The picture of the boat with the hatch cover in place, it appears as that same line feeds aft into a guide in the cabin/cockpit deck area of the hatch.
Perhaps in a kind of loop arrangement ? Any ideas? I can see no method to adjust the in/out haul either?

The hatch on the original boat had a significant problem. It would leak to the point of swamping the boat. Wondering what they may have done to seal the new hatch cover? I see a raised lip around the opening, but see no seal or gasket. May be it's in the hatch cover? I see a clip at the back of the hatch, hope that is enough to seal the forward area ?

It is my hope that this version has had the issues with the original boat addressed. Not optimistic about that, but we can hope

I have not seen anything in the pictures or text that would suggest to me this is more than a cute pool toy. I liked pool toys as a boy

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 02, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,818 Posts
Ooops - look like Boomer's question are first posted ! Darn, missed that financial opportunity.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by tuppesw
wolfgang
Germany, NRW, Aachen
Joined Jan 2013
249 Posts
Hi Boomer,

from the pictures I see I assume the single sheet line is divided into two sheets (under deck) and they go thru the fairlead near the mast green circle in my picture).

The main sheet goes back to the cockpit (over deck, sticky when wet!) to something like a block (red circle in my picture).

In the picture the main sheet isn't connected to the boom, I assume the sheet should be connectet to the boom where the vang is connected to the main's boom.

happy new year!
Wolfgang

tuppesw is offline Find More Posts by tuppesw
Old Jan 02, 2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by The Tug
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy233 View Post
First off, it's not a review, it's a new product spotlight. Big difference. Second, it's states great entry level sailboat, which personally I like it. Class compliant?? Who gives a crap?? Time to move along to your class compliant sailboats

Learn to read before you post
Yup a sailboat with a motor and propeller would give a good hint that it's junk and probably would be best in a pool with some string tied on to the bow.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jan 02, 2015, 11:14 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Yup a sailboat with a motor and propeller would give a good hint that it's junk and probably would be best in a pool with some string tied on to the bow.
Tug
Love your comment! In keeping with the things that may be missing I didn't see an eyelet for the pull string to attach to.

Wolfgang,
Appreciate your comments and circles! You must be right since there is no other place on the main's boom to attach a line/sheet to. Interesting concept Wonder how one would adjust the sail's trim - sail reach??

Perhaps they see no need to adjust the sails since this is in essence a power boat. or it is a boat to be "pulled with a string" as The Tug suggests

Clearly a lot of engineering effort has gone into this newest version as evidenced
by the innovations we see here.

Even with all this evidence, I still feel this newest version is more suited to a swimming pool. I intend no disrespect here, just think there are far better choices out there for a "great starter" boat. Just keepin it real and having a little fun.

Boomer