ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2015, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,249 Posts
Friend Yoyo did the maiden of his O2 and was really sucessfully... even on some gusty meteo that we´re having these days here with a lot of hot, warm wind from Sahara desert with many tiny dust particles on the high atmosfere that it seems like a kind of fog and skies are not blue....that was the reason why Yoyo doesn´t flew his O2 really high cause sailplane it seems not visible often...., anyway he reported a well manner, easy controllable and honest response fine glider....
Maybe next month we can fly our O2s together....
Best regards friends.

Manolo.

VUELO DEL OLYMPIC II (6 min 24 sec)
Old Aug 07, 2015, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by TScott1118
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
1,660 Posts
Awesome. During the winter months we get these air inversions over the city where the pollution from cars, fireplaces etc gets trapped over the city (were n a valley) and the skies look very similar.
TScott1118 is offline Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old Aug 08, 2015, 01:31 AM
Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
833 Posts
Hola Manolo, ... ..

What a fantastic job you did with your e-sailplane version of the Olympic II. ..
You are probably getting used to receiving glowing compliments about it, and deservedly so. Fantastic to see a true model builder's work in such well illustrated detail. ..

It's very strange that I very recently decided to clean out all the old, and now obsolete RC gear from my workshop, and came across the RCModeler magazine from way back when in the 70s, which contained the building instructions for the Oly-II.
This sparked my interest, and brought back fond memories of my learning to fly RC sailplanes, although I actually used Lee Renaud's later, and slightly more sophisticated, Aquila design, and was a totally successful learning curve with this sailplane way back then, but with considerable help from my club's training officer. I have always, and have continued to prefer thermal soaring to any other form of RC flying ever since. ..

However being a model builder rather than an 'ARF assembler' ... Very few true model builders these days! .. ... I decided to check if there was an Olympic II RCGroups build thread, just to see if anyone had done exactly what you have actually very successfully done ... which I was pleased to find there was!
This was because this discovery of the old magazine, and then finding your build thread rekindled my interest, with a view to going back to building and flying this more gentle retro style of aircraft, that requires a full build from a drawing, but this time using your electric powered conversion.
Thank you Manolo ... Muchas Gracias. ... Regards from Oz.
Daffy. ..
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Last edited by Little Black Duck; Aug 09, 2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2015, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,249 Posts
Tx, tx and tx a lot for your kindly words buddies.... It´s really gratefully find from time to time another twin souls overthere. It seems a deja vu feeeling to find the old and good RCM review of the Ole 2 with the Renaud´s article, Daffy. Nowdays I´m not all time involved in sailplanes cause I like also aerobatics and scale, but really enjoy the silent and freedom of gliding thermal or slope, and keeps to me a peace of mind that couldn´t find on another kind of models....Tom, it is interesting to know tht on your homeland sometimes you have the same or similar meteo affairs... usually these things happens on summertime and some springs not on winter or autum cause winds directions usually changes and not usually came from Sahara...
Nice to know also that these kind of threads serve as fountain of inspiration to others to keep same ideas or better yet, build the same plane... this way we all together keep alive the flame of these marvelous woody sailplanes designs and show to the newbees... now they´re classics and not often seeing on the flying fields and captures a lot of interest and attention, at least here. Good news here cause Agustín Martínez, another good modeller from Jerez de la Frontera want to build a O2 with electric propulsion.
God bless you all my friends.
Best regards.
Manolo.