HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2014, 07:40 PM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,757 Posts
Discussion
Fiberglass Gasoline Tank ?

Has anyone made a gasoline tank from fiberglass and 5 minute epoxy ? I think it can be done. I need a special shape to fit a scratch build airplane.
I already bought a DuBro tank, but would really rather have a square than long rectangular.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:15 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,476 Posts
You mean 5 min epoxy of glue viscosity? I highly doubt you would able to fully wet the fibers before it begins to gel. The result would be a porous and leaky tank. But you have little to lose even if it doesn't work, so go ahead and try it and report your findings here.

Building a gas tank using proper slow, low-viscosity laminating epoxy will work fine.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:35 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,124 Posts
I think you'd need to ensure that the epoxy you're using doesn't a) taint the fuel or b) go soggy with gasoline splashing around on it.

Back in the days when I used to design fibgreglass boats, we had to use ortho vinylester resin with antimonium or something in it, and that was just for deisel!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:36 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,757 Posts
It says gasoline resistant not proof on the label. I knew I could make a small one for test, but was looking for someone who tried.
I did see some mention of the vinylester resin being better in searches, nothing direct about go no go with the 5 minute.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 02:27 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,550 Posts
I'm guessing you won't find much information because most people know better than to try it.

Epoxy made up as an adhesive contains thickeners precisely to ensure that it doesn't flow too much. As jkettu suggests to make a good fibreglass lamination requires that the epoxy flows well to fully wet all the glass fibres. If you don't want to use the correct material I'd stick to your bought tank .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 18, 2014, 04:47 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,381 Posts
How about a simple ply box the right shape for protection, and a rubber ? bladder tank inside.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:55 AM
Joined Sep 2006
8,757 Posts
Bladder tanks have proven to be an effective theft deterrent on some full scale private planes. They tend to get wrinkles that collect water condensation. The unknowing thief purges the strainers, thinks it's good to go, gets a few hundred feet up in the air and that place where the water doesn't drain until into a climb releases a good hock of water into the fuel system.
Those guys have a nice bag of tricks for an airplane thief.

I have heard both sides of using that stuff, I have a coarse fiberglass mat that will take the thick epoxy. And people say they have repaired auto gas tanks with epoxy.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:58 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Bladder tanks have proven to be an effective theft deterrent on some full scale private planes. They tend to get wrinkles that collect water condensation. The unknowing thief purges the strainers, thinks it's good to go, gets a few hundred feet up in the air and that place where the water doesn't drain until into a climb releases a good hock of water into the fuel system.
Those guys have a nice bag of tricks for an airplane thief.

I have heard both sides of using that stuff, I have a coarse fiberglass mat that will take the thick epoxy. And people say they have repaired auto gas tanks with epoxy.
Didn't realize you were making a full size plane

I was thinking something like the bladder out of one of these --

Tettra Bubbless fuel tanks
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:08 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
539 Posts
Chophop, but how does the real owner of the plane get the water out when he wants to fly???

Full scale boats have been using fiberglass fuel tanks for years now. I don't know what resin though.
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:18 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,757 Posts
I don't fly full scale anymore, and sorry the water in the tank and other tricks are only told to well known club members.

The Tettra Tank looks like a good idea. Still haven't been able to build the tank. Finalizing the 1.20 Cessna style scratch build. I want a square tank to reduce CG change as the tank empties or sloshes. I did consider baffles to reduce the fuel slop but that would not work with the clunk.
Again, an advantage of the Tettra tank, reduced or no fuel slosh.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 08:33 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Still haven't been able to build the tank. Finalizing the 1.20 Cessna style scratch build. I want a square tank to reduce CG change as the tank empties or sloshes. I did consider baffles to reduce the fuel slop but that would not work with the clunk.
Again, an advantage of the Tettra tank, reduced or no fuel slosh.
So, This tank is for a 1.20 sized scale airframe ? If so, I believe that you are over thinking this. I don't see a need.

3D guys worry about this stuff. It's important because of their flying style, and models already balanced on the "south side" of comfortable.

For a scale model, this isn't necessary.

If you want to pursue this, look at the gas tanks provided bt B&B Specialties. http://www.bennettbuilt.com/shop/Tanks.html They offer some nearly square tanks that may fit your desire.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Sep 2006
8,757 Posts
The B&B tank looks good. I wish I had seen it before buying the rectangular tank. I do not know how much, but I would suppose 8 oz of fuel sloshing across the CG line could cause some pitch instability.

I was figuring I have some stuff on hand, maybe I could use it.
Last edited by Chophop; Jun 19, 2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spellin
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:15 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,550 Posts
I have never noticed fuel sloshing around while I am flying. I use tanks up to 32 ounces.

I really do not understand your concern.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:18 PM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
Co-built an Evans VP 1 back in the 70's. We used polyester resin and installed two sump baffles with industrial grade epoxy ( the blue stuff ).
The tanks were built in two parts with a one inch lip.
Single port 1600 on reg. gas. fwiw

We time tested the epoxy-baffle application and found no reason to change our original plan.
The 'other half' of the co-build was a 26 year vet of the model shop at Lewis Propulsion Lab located at the west side of Cleveland Hopkins Airfield. He had access to some really great engineering papers and live one on one advice.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Last edited by lindart; Jun 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:58 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,757 Posts
I would have thought 1/2 lb shifting around 2 inches either side of the CG would cause some oscillations. I have only flown .40 size max, electrics with a stable CG.
One , a 40" Cherokee was 4mm too far aft and it had the most awful tail drop at low speed. Stalled it and crashed.