HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
45 Posts
It's super easy to flip. For your first time, get the X1 in a stable hover about 10 feet off the ground. Start to give it a bit of throttle and at the same time hit the button on the upper right of the transmitter and the right joystick to full position in any direction. The throttle helps counter the altitude drop. The X1 will flip in the direction of the right joystick (in all 4 directions). If you get good at it, it's easy to back to back to back flips. Just keep giving it throttle to compensate.
whitet777 is offline Find More Posts by whitet777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:34 PM
The Netherlands, NB, Heusden Gem Heusden
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
To add, in high rate you can recover fast enough to even be able to flip in a normal living room but expect the quad to have a bit of momentum comming out of the flip so don't try it in a living room at low rates or if your responses are still slow .
pe1rdw is offline Find More Posts by pe1rdw
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:57 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,644 Posts
All I can add this is a nice smooth flyer. Flips are fine if thats what floats your boat. I enjoy flying it all over the house . When I want to tear up some air get Ladybirds out or my MQX. Its all good,cheers
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Jan 19, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:27 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
I've been working on flipping in as small a space as I can. With practice you should be able to flip easily in a normal room with 8 foot ceilings. I've discovered that flipping can be a way to recover quickly from FFF when the lack of cyclic authority would prevent you from hitting a tree or wall or whatever. If you are flying forward, flip forward and the quad will come almost completely to a stop.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:35 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1rdw View Post
To add, in high rate you can recover fast enough to even be able to flip in a normal living room but expect the quad to have a bit of momentum comming out of the flip so don't try it in a living room at low rates or if your responses are still slow .
It sounds like with an X1, the "automatic flips" still have a manual aspect to the recovery. On another quad, I find that recovery to be the trickiest aspect of a "manual flip"**: that is when I can get my quad careening off in some random direction at high speed with an also random facing.

So it sounds like an X1 can be a gentle/half-way introduction to fully manual flips.

**No button to press, need to move stick to both start and stop a flip, can change flip direction in mid-flip, etc.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jan 19, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:16 PM
Sergo
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Hi guys!

I bought X1 Quadcopter for my son this Christmas, it was working very good, showed stable flight and we had lot of fun. But after few weeks it started to tilt on on side and we can not make it flight straight up. We tried to use compensation settings on the remote control but nothing changes. Sometimes, at low throttle one of the motor don't rotates at all, sometimes small kick helps him to start, but whole thing still tilts too much.
Any helpful thoughts and hints will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
poserge is offline Find More Posts by poserge
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:00 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,644 Posts
Sounds like damaged motor. If you need to assist starting a electric motor sounds like bent shaft or other damage. Was it crashed alot ? Are motors resting in mounts?
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:06 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poserge View Post
Hi guys!

I bought X1 Quadcopter for my son this Christmas, it was working very good, showed stable flight and we had lot of fun. But after few weeks it started to tilt on on side and we can not make it flight straight up. We tried to use compensation settings on the remote control but nothing changes. Sometimes, at low throttle one of the motor don't rotates at all, sometimes small kick helps him to start, but whole thing still tilts too much.
Any helpful thoughts and hints will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
This is usually obvious - but I cannot stress enough that you have to put it on a perfect level surface for about 12 seconds after you insert the battery.

Since I have messed around with my legs - I set mine inside a small cup or can which makes the arms rest on it - that assures level.

I did have to replace one of my motors, so that is a possibility. They are only a few dollars apiece if it comes to that. But try everything else first. You need to solder to replace a motor!
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
45 Posts
50mph gusty winds tonight. Sounds like the house is rocking on the foundation, but wouldn't you know it, my X1 stays perched in the tree. Here's the sad part, it's been up there for 2 weeks in the Wisconsin Winter, yet when I got out there to check it out, a red light flashed from the X1 as if to say hello.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:29 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Since nobodys said it yet, check for a hair wrapped around motor or drive shaft.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:31 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post
50mph gusty winds tonight. Sounds like the house is rocking on the foundation, but wouldn't you know it, my X1 stays perched in the tree. Here's the sad part, it's been up there for 2 weeks in the Wisconsin Winter, yet when I got out there to check it out, a red light flashed from the X1 as if to say hello.
Use Murphy's Law to bring it down: as you as you get another X1 and start flying it, the other will come down and then you will have two

My recent quad in a tree came down after a 1 to 2 week "stay" and was found by a neighbor. So far, the board, motors, etc. also seem to behave in tests. The recovered battery (initially at ~0.6V) seems to be holding about 1/4 of the normal charge, which is more than what I would have guessed would happend.
Last edited by flying-llama; Jan 19, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:37 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I did have to replace one of my motors, so that is a possibility. They are only a few dollars apiece if it comes to that. But try everything else first. You need to solder to replace a motor!
If you do need to solder on a new motor, you might cut the wires so that there is some wire coming off the board. I find it easier to solder to a wire connected to a board than to the board itself, where the 2 connections are probably only about 0.1 inch apart. Also, there will less likely be heat damage to the board from the soldering iron.
Speaking of motor wires, I had one motor on a quad misbehaving and it turned out that the motor itself was fine. Instead the metal part of the wire broke, but the surrounding plastic insulation was intact and still held the broken ends close together, resulting in the metal ends sometimes touching and the motor running and sometimes not touching and the motor not running. It took some time for me to figure this out.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Use Murphy's Law to bring it down: as you as you get another X1 and start flying it, the other will come down and then you will have two
I already bought 2 more. Didn't help.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:13 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post
I already bought 2 more. Didn't help.
Let's hear it for affordable quads!
To think, the earliest popular one, the mQx, which is expensive compared to the ones that came out later, only started showing up about a year ago (the mQx thread started late Dec. 2011).
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
45 Posts
OMG, went outside right after I typed my last post, and would you believe it, it was on the ground! Even though it was only $35, it was a joyous reuniting. This was the best performing of my 3 X1's. Took it inside, put in a fresh battery, and it flew like nothing had ever happened. The battery appears to be good too. Still 2.98V, freezing cold. Seems to be charging.