SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
277 Posts
Hi Ken,
How’s the Qs8006 helicopter been flying over your way.

About the 8006 battery weight, I did see one place on the internet that had it listed as 6.34 ounces. So I don’t know if that weight listing is 100 percent accurate or not (or if that weight included the shipping box), but I figure it is in the ballpark or maybe slightly on the high side.

Ray
Pilot Ray is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
According to my postal scale, the battery weighs in at 6.7 ounces. I'm sure there is some variation if they are using different battery cells. The cell I was looking at was this one: http://www.xheli.com/77p-sl1800-4s1p-20c-4444.html pushing about 7 ounces, which seems to be perfect for this heli. The mAh rating should give it about 4 to 5 minutes more flight time in theory.. but at the moment mine is grounded.. again. For some reason the lower blade gear (upper motor) stripped yet again for no apparent reason. It may be that the blades are dragging on the frame/canopy in flight as I hadn't trimmed them to clear, but regardless I have to strip the thing down again to replace. This time I'll double check all the mounts to see that everything is square and where it's supposed to be...
letterman7 is offline Find More Posts by letterman7
Old May 06, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMad39 View Post
Hello can anyone tell me as to the steps to remove the internal shaft from my qs8005 so i can replace it when the new one arrives thanks in advance from RC , as reduced to flying my little IR Heli indoors
Hi RC,
When removing or reinserting the inner shaft as suggested by Ray, make sure you don't lose the small bearing that is located (recessed) in the bottom (base) of the upper gear.
Trainee Ken is offline Find More Posts by Trainee Ken
Old May 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
According to my postal scale......
The cell I was looking at was this one: http://www.xheli.com/77p-sl1800-4s1p-20c-4444.html .......
Thanks Rick,
Mine eventually weighed in at 245grams with leads etc. on borrowed scales which is quite a bit heavier than 6.7 ounces (190g). Removing the missile/LEDs will gain you 20g.
Noticed that the battery you are looking at has a max discharge rate of 20c. Will 20c be enough to run both motors without exceeding drainage capacity and possibly resulting in battery protection switch off?
Ken
Last edited by Trainee Ken; May 06, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old May 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Ray View Post
Hi Ken,
How’s the Qs8006 helicopter been flying over your way......
About the 8006 battery weight, I did see one place........

Ray
Thanks Ray,
Looking at updating OS to remove problem of batteries altogether. Hopefully get a pic up soon.
Ken
Old May 07, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Apr 2012
226 Posts
Qs8006 - version 3

With no comment other than "the solution to all our problems".
Old May 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainee Ken View Post
Thanks Rick,
Mine eventually weighed in at 245grams with leads etc. on borrowed scales which is quite a bit heavier than 6.7 ounces (190g). Removing the missile/LEDs will gain you 20g.
Noticed that the battery you are looking at has a max discharge rate of 20c. Will 20c be enough to run both motors without exceeding drainage capacity and possibly resulting in battery protection switch off?
Ken
I have no idea . Electronics are not my strong suit and I really don't know what the discharge rate of 20c means. I was just looking at the overall mAh rating which I used to go by when I was fooling with r/c cars many moons ago. The weight of my battery pack was with leads wrapped around the pack... can't quite figure how yours is so much heavier!
letterman7 is offline Find More Posts by letterman7
Old May 07, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
I have no idea . Electronics are not my strong suit and I really don't know what the discharge rate of 20c means. I was just looking at the overall mAh rating which I used to go by when I was fooling with r/c cars many moons ago. The weight of my battery pack was with leads wrapped around the pack... can't quite figure how yours is so much heavier!
Mine neither Rick. I've been looking at upsizing my battery for a while now but I'm only going on what I have read. My understanding is that battery packs these days are protected by an internal "thermal overload" which will open circuit if overheating maximums are exceeded. These thermal overloads usually reset automatically when the battery has cooled. No problem if you’re on a track but a tad more difficult if you're 50 feet up.
Some battery packs show both "C" which is described as "Maximum continuous discharge" and also "Maximum burst" which I assume is the short period allowed for before the over load trips.
It should be easy enough to obtain actual current drain using an ammeter with all three motors at full bore.

Had the battery weighed at the Post Office this morning, 190 grams. Obviously the scales I borrowed were out.
Ken
Old May 07, 2012, 08:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Armidale
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Qs8005 flying again

Thanks all for the info and help with rebuilding my Heli , would have not noticed the bearing if you had not mentioned it thanks Trainee Ken . Something going on with the spare parts for the qs8005 i got the same parts that were stated to be the upper parts for the qs8006 , but they fit an it is flying so no complaints , Thanks again all for your help and insight
RCMad39 is offline Find More Posts by RCMad39
Old May 07, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Feb 2011
277 Posts
Hi everyone,
I used my homemade larger tail blade off the 8005 and tried it on the 8006 this evening (and yesterday), and it worked better than expected. The larger one directional tail blade has over double the top speed and forward moving power of the 8006. Also, from what I could tell, the 8006 even gained a little more backup speed too.
When flying the 8006 this evening the air was a bit unstable and slightly breezy (leaves fluttering on some trees and and some tops of trees moving around a little here and there, but not all continuously moving at the same time) and I decided to give the 8006 a try anyhow. Even with this evening’s light breeze, the 8006 had the forward power to come back came against the breeze using about 1/3 tail power. As soon as I let off on the tail power, the moving air would slowly carry the 8006 down wind. But as soon as I applied power to the tail rotor the 8006 easily came back, and if I went to full tail power, the 8006 easily came back fast against the breeze, like the breeze wasn’t blowing.

I have found that the 8006 can handle a little breeze pretty well and I was still able to land the 8006 where I wanted it to. I should mention too that this evening’s air was moving strong enough that the 8006 would not of been able to come back against it if I had used the stock tail blade. The one thing I did notice though, since the tail rotor was powered up during most of the flight to fight the breeze, I could tell that the 8006’s battery was running down a bit faster than usual, so I kept the flight a little shorter than usual.

One thing though (same as when using the larger tail blade on the 8005), I had to be careful to apply the tail rotor power gradually as the 8006 helicopter accelerated and I had to be careful to gradually reduce the tail rotor power as I was slowing down the helicopter. By doing it this way give’s the 8006 a second or two to settle out and to not over react and over tilt from the more powerful tail thrust.

Also, I now have 6 flights on the 8006 since the electrical power cutout crash and so far by turning the heli on first (before turning on the transmitter), I haven’t had any more power cutout issues.
Ray
Old May 07, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMad39 View Post
Thanks all for the info and help with rebuilding my Heli , would have not noticed the bearing if you had not mentioned it thanks Trainee Ken . Something going on with the spare parts for the qs8005 i got the same parts that were stated to be the upper parts for the qs8006 , but they fit an it is flying so no complaints , Thanks again all for your help and insight
Hi RCMAD39,
Good to hear that you got your 8005 running again. Apparently there’s a second version of the inner shaft. Here’s what the inner rotor shaft looks like on my 8005; http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-USA-GT-...item1c2592f627

Ray
Old May 07, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
226 Posts
Updated parts: QS8006

1. Under the fan clip main blade grip - Redesigned. Lower and centre section now one piece plastic with plastic top piece (no aluminium plate top and bottom). Still has blade slop.
2. Upper main blade grip set - Redesigned. As above.
3. On gear/lower rotor gear (gear with shaft) - Came as separate gear (black) and shaft but did come with top bearing sleeve. Of the five, three shafts perfectly straight, one a bit iffy and one I’ll probably turf. Whether adhesive is required to assemble is an unknown.
Last edited by Trainee Ken; May 07, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 03:11 AM
Darren
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
G'day Fella's

The speed controller arrived today from HongKong but I have just found out that the ducted fan that I ordered on the 4th of April from the states, is not in stock!!!!!!!!!AHHH.
I will test the controller to find out the voltage's it will give me, and order a lower voltage fan if I can, just to get one sooner.

Ken, 20c should be plenty and is the burst rate.

One thing about these big heli's is that when that battery gets low, it will drop like a sack of spuds, without warning. I have a voltage alarm on mine "now".

Darren
Daggy is offline Find More Posts by Daggy
Old May 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Armidale
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Qs8005 blades

Hello again just out of curiosity does anyone have any ideas on how to strengthen the main blades on the Qs8005 or where to get a stronger make of blade ? ? just getting used to changing blades everytime i have a slight rollover is going to become expensive especially on slight windy days
RCMad39 is offline Find More Posts by RCMad39
Old May 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
226 Posts
Lower gear screws coming loose.

Ray,
Regarding my problem with and your post of April 23: Lower gear screws coming loose.
Had a chance to sort mine out today and the gear now feels like it's welded on.
The original 2.5mm screws just did not seem to have enough grip and if you tightened them too much, the head either cammed out or snapped off altogether.
I retapped the holes and fitted 3mm x 3mm grub screws. A bit fiddly but being hardened steel and having that knurled end they lock onto the shaft like a limpet and the 3mm diameter neatly locks onto each side of the inner shafts cut out section and can't move up or down. Could/should have used a longer grub screw as the 3mm ends up recessed well into the gear hub. Only a problem though if I need to get it out and the hex end is stuffed.10mm long would be ideal but they didn't have them in stock. On order.
Ken