Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:59 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Discussion
Off Topic.... but I need an answer!!!

Hi Guys:
I have a 3 dimensional template for special floor "Mats" for my motorcycle
sidecar. Can one of us ol' timers who has had adhesives experience let me know the best and easily purchased i.e. hobby shop..or...hardware store, adhesive for bonding balsa wood to to black PVC pipe.. I looked all over the net, but find no specifics.
So, I'm trying the following: Roughing up the PVC pipe with 180 grit wet or dry
paper. Mixed up some JB Weld and applied the balsa test piece..to the PVC. in the morning...I guess we'll see.
All advice is welcome.
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
NJ. USA
JonB is offline Find More Posts by JonB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:06 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,519 Posts
Not that it matters, but I believe that PVC pipe usually comes inwhite or green. ABS is black and cement for that is available at any household supply, like Home Depot, etc. It will bond balsa to ABS, but don't know if it would meet your needs (vibration??). Silicone adhesives, as well as floor adhesives might work too. These come in tubes, as well as tubs, etc. Tubes can be quite affordable, especially when great quantities are not needed. I've successfully wrapped and bonded formica counter top material to large diam (10")PVC pipe roughend with course sand paper and contact cement

JB Weld is an epoxy with filler, I believe and should work. Again depending on use, load considerations, etc.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:39 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,662 Posts
ABS cement is basically Balsa Cement, but cheaper if bought from a plumber supply company. It does however make a solid bond. Your application may need a more flexible one. Car trim workshops may help, perhaps a rubber based adhesive?

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:49 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,953 Posts
Another old trick...

Yes, adhering stuff to plastics could be an awkward business....

However, 'old fashioned' masking tape (or whatever it's called) i.e. the non-plastic type, made of paper, could do good service here....

Cover the plastic surface to be glued with this tape.
As virtually any glue will stick to the tape top surface, you could easily adhere anything to it....

Among several applications, I use this method to adhere pushrod outers (sometimes very 'fat' plastic) to wooden formers, balsa sheeting etc....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:45 AM
USA, GA, Carrollton
Joined Jan 2008
443 Posts
I believe Welder adhesive in a tube will do it.
TFM70 is offline Find More Posts by TFM70
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:18 AM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Adhesive for ABS was PVC...to Balsa!

Hi Guys:
You are right, since the 2 ft long section of pipe was there in the plumbing
dept, surrounded by white PVC pipe. Yep, stamped in white letters it does say
"Schedule 40 ABS SWV pipe". Put your glasses on!
The JB Weld to balsa works well. Since there is essentially very little force on the component as it is used only for fabrication of the "Mats" themselves.
I really want to thank you all for your replies. As usual, intelligent and innovative.
Now, back to my first love - Building & Flying Ol' Timers.
Thanks for your help!
Jon B. Shereshaw,
Gladstone, NJ.
JonB is offline Find More Posts by JonB
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:57 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
725 Posts
I would think Dow Corning silicone glue/sealer would work well also. It really sticks well to many materials.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft