SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:03 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Build Log
gwmp E3D-63

Well here goes another build tread. This time it Gary Wright's new E3D-63 with, you guessed it, a 63" wing span. This is going to be a winter build for me so progress will happen when it happens but I think it should progress rather quickly. Without further ado here are some specs/parts.

Wing span 63"
Wing area 1015 sq in
Length 63 3/4"
(firewall to tip of rudder)
AUW ~80 oz
Hacker A50-16S
APC-E 17-8, 18x8
CC Phoenix 80
5S Lipo
Medusa 6v BEC
GraphTech CLG-196 CF landing gear

In the picture the laser cut short kit is on the right with the wing tube, motor, instructions, and balsa ready to be sliced into sticks. Landing gear has not arrived yet but I suspect it will be here next week.

Here is a link to Gary's oringinal announcement.

Note that this plane was selected "Best New Product" at this year's Zephyr in October. Congratulations to Gary.

News, recommendations, and thread index:
  • List of materials to complete build. #54
  • Fuse sides completed. #9
  • Formers are about 1/16" too long. I resized and used 1/4"x1/8" stock for the cross brace. Knits together well with the 1/4" sq diagonals.
  • Gary tries 18x8 prop. #19
  • Aft end of fuse pictures. #20
  • Canopy/hatch detail. #27
  • Wing assembly detail. #31
  • Start of tail group. #34
  • Stab, elevators and ailerons #38
  • Assembled air frame before filling, sanding and covering. #43
  • Unsanctioned modifications. #46
  • Covered wing panel. #58
  • Pics of the covered fuselage #69
  • Finished ready to fly #95

Taken from the manual:
This is a short kit, it contains all of the laser cut wood, a set of tail & aileron drawings and the instructions you hold in your hands. In addition, you will need the following materials to complete the airplane:
-Various stick balsa wood in 3 foot sticks:
2 ea 3/8” square
2 ea ¼” square
4 ea 1/4" triangle
9 ea 1/8” X ¼”
12 ea 1/8” X 3/8”
18 ea 3/8” X ¼”
-Thin and medium CA.
-3 rolls of your favorite covering material (ultralite films such as “So-Lite” are not recommended).
-5 control horns of your choice.
-5 twelve inch pushrods with metal clevises.
-UCD-46 graphite landing gear (from TNTlandinggear.com)
-30” length of ¾” wing tube (.035” wall thickness) and mating socket (from TNTlandinggear.com)
-4 “rare earth” magnets (from Radio Shack).
-5 servos (The 2 for the ailerons should be full size and 100 in*oz min. of torque, the rest can be 40 in*oz mini servos.)
-A computer radio system capable of flaperons as well as split elevator control, or the appropriate
electronic mixing devices.
-A 5S Lithium polymer battery of at least 3700mAHr capacity along with an appropriate charger.
-Ideally a Hacker A50-16S outrunner motor, however any good brushless system capable of putting 700
watts into a 17X8 propeller will do (800 is better).
-A 70 amp brushless speed control.
-An APCe 16X8, 17X8 or 18X8 prop (depending on your motor).
-5 each 1/4X20 T-nuts (blind nuts)
-5 each 1/4X20 nylon bolts 1 ½” long.
-Castored tail wheel assembly of your choice (keep it light).
-80 grit sandpaper for shaping and 150 grit for smoothing
-Long sanding blocks of the “T bar” type.
-Dubro extra large servo horns to fit your servos.
-4 6X32 T-nuts and 6X32 ½” bolts.
-Velcro hook and loop tape, both self adhesive 3” and double sided 1” varieties.
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Last edited by Carl Petersen; Mar 01, 2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Updated index
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
fuselage

Start with the fuselage. Laminating the fuse formers.

First thing I noticed with this short kit is the lack of tabs that have to be cut to get a particular piece out of the sheet. It looks like the sheet was laser cut and then masking tape applied to hold the parts in. Once you remove the masking tape "most" parts literally fall out of the sheet. Actually a nice touch.

Edit: It also means there is no little white marks that people like me with OCD have to sand off. Looks much better.
Last edited by Carl Petersen; Dec 29, 2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:49 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
After looking over the instructions it becomes clear that this E3D does not have a lot in common, build wise, with the originally E3D of which I have built several. The lineage of this E3D seems to be directly from the mini E3D I built last summer. Another great flying E3D and a blast to fly. It's interesting to see how the E3D line has evolved with improvements incorporated all along the way. Major improvements in making the plane easy to build and I'm told that this E3D is the best flying one so far. How could the next stop be anything less than a 90" version. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, nudge nudge
Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:53 PM
Vic and Quinn Walton
Santa Barbara CA
Joined Jan 2006
590 Posts
wow looks great I'm really looking forwar to seeing the rest of this build!
rc2xs is offline Find More Posts by rc2xs
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:22 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,156 Posts
not 90",.. but theyre may be a 94.5" in the future (hmmm,.. 63 times 1.5 is 94.5,..interesting <G>). The XL was WAY WAY too expensive to cut due to the way I designed it and the amount of plywood. I kinda "fixed that" with the design of the 63 so I've been thinking of a 1.5 times 63 style structure. It's just in the thinking stages now, but I'm considering it.

What you'll find in the 63 build is the 80/20 rule at work. It takes about 80% of the build time to do the fuselage (maybe 85), then you finally get to the wings and they're done in no time flat. This last one I built took me a whole evening on the fuselage, about 5 hours. the next morning I got both wing panels built, ready to sand, in less than an hour (much less actually). Chris commented on that when building his prototype also. Since I hate to build, i also put a good bit of thought into the sanding process. Sanding goes REAL QUICK on the wings since the spars are "sunk inside" and not flush with the top of the ribs. Heed the advice on servos. Chris is using some older servos,..9303's I think,.. with like 90 or 100 oz'in on ailerons, and you can stall them if you really try (ailerons are MASSIVE). I'm using 9151's at 132 oz/in and they seem to be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Petersen
After looking over the instructions it becomes clear that this E3D does not have a lot in common, build wise, with the originally E3D of which I have built several. The lineage of this E3D seems to be directly from the mini E3D I built last summer. Another great flying E3D and a blast to fly. It's interesting to see how the E3D line has evolved with improvements incorporated all along the way. Major improvements in making the plane easy to build and I'm told that this E3D is the best flying one so far. How could the next stop be anything less than a 90" version. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, nudge nudge
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:43 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
I should have put a disclaimer up front that you could knock one of these out in an afternoon but since I really like to build I'm going to stretch this out as long as I can. Part of my motivation, or lack of, is that it's 25 degrees and snowing outside at the moment and it's not going to change real soon. I really need to move...

Good info on the servos. What are you using for the tail servos?

You realize, of course, that having announced a 94.5" E3D to the RC world you've opened yourself up to a whole new wave of legitimate pestering. I for one want to be on the list...
Last edited by Carl Petersen; Dec 30, 2006 at 08:44 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:50 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,156 Posts
94.5 is just in the thinking stages. Pestering has no affect on me anymore. After you get enough of something you become anesthetized to it <G>. I'm using 3102's on the tail. Yes they're small, but with a 6V ubec, they're 64 oz/in, all three tail surfaces are counterbalanced to a point where a micro servo would probably work (very little load on tail servos), the 3102's center great and never seem to wear,.. plus I have a lot of 3102's. Speaking of 25 degrees and snowing,..it's 79 and sunny here right now with a gentle breeze,.. "real feel" is 75 according to accuweather. I'll think about your snow issue in a few minutes when I go golfing in shorts <G>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Petersen
I should have put a disclaimer up front that you could knock one of these out in an afternoon but since I really like to build I'm going to stretch this out as long as I can. Part of my motivation is that it's 25 degrees and snowing outside at the moment and it's not going to change real soon. I really need to move.....

Good info on the servos. What are you using for the tail servos?

You realize, of course that having announced a 94.5" E3D to the RC world you've opened yourself up to a whole new wave of pestering. I for one want to be on the list..
Old Dec 30, 2006, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
Speaking of 25 degrees and snowing,..it's 79 and sunny here right now with a gentle breeze,.. "real feel" is 75 according to accuweather. I'll think about your snow issue in a few minutes when I go golfing in shorts <G>
Man, you sure know how to hurt a guy<g> How about an IT job and I'll move and build all your planes...

My SO just walked in, looked at the 63 and said "Wow, that's big". Music to a guy's ear

Back to freezing and building...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 09:54 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Here are the fuselage sides laid out with all the other parts free of the sheets they came in. Just for reference that's a four foot table.

For those of you lucky enough to get one of the first batch of short kits note that the pictures in the manual are of a previous rev and there are some differences with the new parts. Nothing major, just a heads up.

Next I have to rip some 1/4 x 1/8 balsa sticks and frame the perimeter of the fuse sides prior gluing in the first frames.
Last edited by Carl Petersen; Dec 30, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 09:47 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Not much is going to be accomplished today. In the cold frozen north we like to start celebrating New Years eve early<g>.

Basically I'm starting to put the frames in prior to joining both halves of the fuse. You'll see in the second picture the lite ply battery tray and another plate right above and forward toward the motor. This forms an air intake directly in front of the batteries and also provides an excellent place to put your ESC. Clever stuff.

Best wishes and a happy New Year to all!
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:40 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Nice work Carl ! I'll be following this thread with interest. Gary's 63 incher stole the show at the fall E Fly in Tullahoma, TN this year .
Thanks for doing the short kit Gary .
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:22 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Thanks Ed, and yes thanks to Gary for pulling this off.

I'm often wrong so I usually stay out to the prediction game but I can't see why every warm blooded 3D flier out there wouldn't want two of these planes for next years flying. I keep thinking about the 1250 watt motor in front of an 80oz plane...
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:22 AM
Joined Jul 2002
169 Posts
I agree. I am still trying to figure out how to fly the original E3D ..I am on my 5th one and I want one of these. I guess can never get enough of a good thing!! Great airplanes Gary.

Charles
flattop is offline Find More Posts by flattop
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:39 PM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,156 Posts
Carl,.. the recommended setup (a50 16S, 17X8, 5S) is not 1250 watts,.. just a little over 700. Noticably more with the new extreme's I'm now flying, but I haven't wattmetere'd them. I'd guess 800 or a touch over. The motor is capable of much much more, but it isn't needed. I'd like to have 650~700 into about a 19X8, but they don't make a low enough KV to do that <G> . As I've learned before, watts aren't everything, especially with 3D (a big prop is almost more important).
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:36 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
Carl,.. the recommended setup (a50 16S, 17X8, 5S) is not 1250 watts,.. just a little over 700.
Yes I understand that but, hands in his pockets he looks at the floor and shuffles his feet, Hacker does list the motor at 1250 watts so I'm not totally wrong.<g>

Happy New Year...